Discuss Electrical Install in a Small Office Building in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm new to the forum but just after some advice. I've been asked to price for an install on a small Office (12 desks over 3 floors of a 150 old building). Its for a firm i've done electrical work for for years so i'm happy to take it on. Its been a while since I did an office though as i'm more into the aquacultural/agricultural/industrial electrical fields these days. It was probably more than 10 years ago since I was busy in the office sector.

I'm happy with my lighting, fire and data designs. For power though I have a couple of options and would like a little advice.

Option 1: Ring for each floor. Maximum demand is not going to be an issue on a 32A MCB. Only computers are plugged in.
Option 2: Ring or 20A radial for each Office "Room" (Each room has 2-4 desks in it depending on size)
Option 3: Radial to each desk - theres only 12 desks so a little overkill but not too much hassle.

The company deals with a lot of live animal transport so its crucial that they don't lose power as they have access to welfare stats of trucks etc to monitor condition of stock movement. I don't want a dodgy computer power supply to take out many computers on the same circuit but at the same time don't want to overdo it.

Also thoughts on AFDD in this install? Are many using these yet?

Thanks in advance,
Rory

Also

Morning all,

I'm new to the forum but just after some advice. I've been asked to price for an install on a small Office (12 desks over 3 floors of a 150 old building). Its for a firm i've done electrical work for for years so i'm happy to take it on. Its been a while since I did an office though as i'm more into the aquacultural/agricultural/industrial electrical fields these days. It was probably more than 10 years ago since I was busy in the office sector.

I'm happy with my lighting, fire and data designs. For power though I have a couple of options and would like a little advice.

Option 1: Ring for each floor. Maximum demand is not going to be an issue on a 32A MCB. Only computers are plugged in.
Option 2: Ring or 20A radial for each Office "Room" (Each room has 2-4 desks in it depending on size)
Option 3: Radial to each desk - theres only 12 desks so a little overkill but not too much hassle.

The company deals with a lot of live animal transport so its crucial that they don't lose power as they have access to welfare stats of trucks etc to monitor condition of stock movement. I don't want a dodgy computer power supply to take out many computers on the same circuit but at the same time don't want to overdo it.

Also thoughts on AFDD in this install? Are many using these yet?

Thanks in advance,
Rory

Also
Option 3 but no radial to each desk split the desks up say in to groups of 2 desks per radial

Are AFDDs needed? I don't think your office is in the below list.

Electrical Install in a Small Office Building 1560157582236 - EletriciansForums.net

Be careful about all of the added earth leakage with large quantities of electronic equipment. Do not have everything on one or two RCDs. Split into multiple circuits with an RCBO for each.
Consider need for possibility of additional precautions because of high protective conductor currents.
Good article here
https://electrical.------.org/media/1039/2008_26_spring_wiring_matters__complete_adverts.pdf

Hi Lads,

Thanks for all the help.

Two desks per radial sounds like a good balance.

I think i'll use a Hager VML118SPD DB to sort me out for SPUDs, which also means I can use individual RCBO's for each circuit. Not cheap but very high integrity that way.

Good point on AFDD's, its built of stone with a slate roof and non domestic - no sleeping area, so it's not going to be a requirement to fit them here.

Option 2 sounds sensible if each desk has only one computer "station" on it. If large amounts of IT equipment per desk then you might consider option 3 for the reasons mentioned by Taylortwocities.

The Hager Boards are good quality and I would recommend the compact type A RCBOs for this job.

Run 1 or 2 SWA distribution Circuits to each floor off a 40-60A MCB (see MI) to under floor busbar system.

Use a pre-assembled, with 3M fex and RCD sockets, floor box.

All plug and play.

From then on any office reconfigurations only require the floor boxes moving.

No worries about cumulative earth leakage.

Clean earth if required, if not get the non-clean earth variant.

Now let the BS7288 fight start....

Reply to Electrical Install in a Small Office Building in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock