Discuss Electrician walked out - worth involving NICEIC? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PeaceLily

DIY
Reaction score
Long story short - our electrician walked out 2/3rds of the way through a complete rewire including a new fuse box. Is it worth complaining to NICEIC? I've got another electrician willing to finish the job; NICEIC have said they can't help with my complaint if that's the case but if the original electrician doesn't come back (he's not planning to), then where does that leave me? Any advice gratefully received

The only way is for another spark is to give you a Eicr cause the new spark not going to give a eic test cert cause he has not done the job in the beginning a Eicr in sure it comforms.
The other spark would have told you before he picks up a screw driver for you.
Have you paid the first spark and why did he walk away there is two sides of a story.

Last edited:
Long story short - our electrician walked out 2/3rds of the way through a complete rewire including a new fuse box. Is it worth complaining to NICEIC?

No, this is a contractual matter and so nothing to do with the NICEIC.

The NICEIC assess a contractors work for compliance with regulations, best practice and industry standards, they also provide a system for certifying and registering completed domestic works.

Your issue, as you have described it appears to be around a broken contract, not compliance with electrical regulations.

Long story short - our electrician walked out 2/3rds of the way through a complete rewire including a new fuse box. Is it worth complaining to NICEIC? I've got another electrician willing to finish the job; NICEIC have said they can't help with my complaint if that's the case but if the original electrician doesn't come back (he's not planning to), then where does that leave me? Any advice gratefully received
Why did the Electrician walk away? your interference or what?

Next a forum members posts "I walked off a job" ..! But can the OP say what payments have been made to date etc . If the Electrician has not lost much , then either he is not getting on with the client or has been offered a much better paid job . I know many guys in various trades that are not confirming jobs at the moment until they can see which will earn them the most that week/day . Its viscous but they seem to do well

Why did the Electrician walk away? your interference or what?
Not our interference (I found that question quite rude tbh). The fact that his team didn’t follow my very clear instructions and did their own thing is a completely different conversation and not the reason he walked out. Reading between the lines I think it was mainly a breakdown between him and our PM and we took the brunt of it. We’ve been left with a fusebox which has a sign on it saying not to turn on any more switches so no idea if it’s safe. All quite sad really

He would be taking orders from the PM Not yourself .As this is where it normally gets messy a lot .Clients not understanding the "Chain of command" .If its a couple .only ONE gets to gives instructions .Its always the best way and written down in quotes etc . We ask if what the issue might be as we do this day in day out .We know way more about what goes on and believe us, Customers can really be a pain ! And think they hold all the cards . If your PM has paid money out for work done pro rata then your loss is contained to some degree .If the PM has paid out more then the issue you have is with the the PM etc . Is there not a simple reason explained in a PM /email /call etc that at least lets you know whats in his head ?

Its like "Hunt the Egg" !!! Do you know the reason he wont come back ? But in reality it makes no difference as there is no issue to be had with NICEIC or anyone else .As its just a civil matter . So almost nothing more anyone can offer . Its a shame >No one likes it when situations like this occurs

No, this is a contractual matter and so nothing to do with the NICEIC.

The NICEIC assess a contractors work for compliance with regulations, best practice and industry standards, they also provide a system for certifying and registering completed domestic works.

Your issue, as you have described it appears to be around a broken contract, not compliance with electrical regulations.
Thank you for your response, much appreciated

well, if that's the case then is down to your PM, has they say to many cooks.
you employed the pm you should be on site to make sure there no miss communication.
Who said we weren’t on site? Every time someone was there we were also there. Unfortunately the sparkies were also there when we weren’t as they had a key - our mistake

He would be taking orders from the PM Not yourself .As this is where it normally gets messy a lot .Clients not understanding the "Chain of command" .If its a couple .only ONE gets to gives instructions .Its always the best way and written down in quotes etc . We ask if what the issue might be as we do this day in day out .We know way more about what goes on and believe us, Customers can really be a pain ! And think they hold all the cards . If your PM has paid money out for work done pro rata then your loss is contained to some degree .If the PM has paid out more then the issue you have is with the the PM etc . Is there not a simple reason explained in a PM /email /call etc that at least lets you know whats in his head ?
Yes there is. I have no beef with the electrician but also don’t appreciate being left in the lurch in a property that may not be safe. Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Clearly the question you came here to ask has since been answered but, from information contained in subsequent posts, I can't help wondering what value the project manager brings to this party.
THis 100 % .Ive just completed a Job that was been "run " by an interior designer" . She pulled me in for a meeting about "exactly " where sconce lights must go etc in the master bedroom and all the other electrical details .The manner in how she spoke was unreal .She treated everyone on site like it was their first day at school . Client now wants to know why she has to get out of bed and walk to the door in order to turn the sconce lights off when she wants to sleep !! The so called designer failed to have sconce switches on each side of the bed . Also no data cables to each room or telephone socket etc . Client aint happy . Brief was "Might want to rent " (high value) . No smoke alarm system fitted etc etc . And these people are charging fortunes for knowing SFA !

THis 100 % .Ive just completed a Job that was been "run " by an interior designer" . She pulled me in for a meeting about "exactly " where sconce lights must go etc in the master bedroom and all the other electrical details .The manner in how she spoke was unreal .She treated everyone on site like it was their first day at school . Client now wants to know why she has to get out of bed and walk to the door in order to turn the sconce lights off when she wants to sleep !! The so called designer failed to have sconce switches on each side of the bed . Also no data cables to each room or telephone socket etc . Client aint happy . Brief was "Might want to rent " (high value) . No smoke alarm system fitted etc etc . And these people are charging fortunes for knowing SFA !
Isn't that the modern way now

Unfortunately, things like that, you just have to point the client in the direction of the designer who gave you the spec.
I have completed and tested everything according to the specifications that were given to me, unfortunately needs to be the default reply.

Isn't that the modern way now

Unfortunately, things like that, you just have to point the client in the direction of the designer who gave you the spec.
I have completed and tested everything according to the specifications that were given to me, unfortunately needs to be the default reply.
Exactly . Client now wants to know why it was not mentioned to her before .I told her " DIva designer " gave me instructions and you told me to do as I was told . Now its all doable .But that wall paper sure cost a fortune !

That's just it - you're paid to work to a spec. Deviate from it and you're liable for any costs incurred to rectify your mistakes. It is expected that design has agreed by the client, that any changes need to be notified in advance and will be priced accordingly, or ammendments will be extra to the agreed price.

To be clear; this post isn't directed at the OP, but part of the wider discussion which generally ensues 😁

Reply to Electrician walked out - worth involving NICEIC? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock