Discuss Eon Don't Work Live??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm/refute this for me?

Last week Western Power changed the mains head on a job I was doing. Two guys, working live, had a good chat with them about what they were doing, so I know they were.

This week, on another job, an Eon site surveyor tells me they don't do live work, and to change a mains head they have to dig up outside and it will involve interrupting the supply to the adjacent three premises ..... Same job, diffferent supplier.

Are they giving me the run around? Or do the different DNSs have their own policy?

Thank guys.

This is an old bakolite type three phase head, only one phase wired.

I've had it before where Western P have changed a three phase head working live. Are Eon trying to raise the cost by involving more work?

when the servce fuse started overheating at my mums i called e on out about it and switched off the power in all fairness they were there within 20 mins of ringing them they said that ive got 2 choices 1 they could dig up the cable and cut it or they could switch it of at the sub station i said switch it off at the substation

when they pulled the fuse the cut out was melted

i asked them if the dug up the cable what did they do with it they just told me that they remove the lead sheath then cut the conductors 1 by 1 then the joint them back together live

If its a rural location they are keen to lay cables in the ground rather then overhead now.To supply buildings.
Theres a scheme going around ours at the moment which makes it alot cheaper. If thats the case they will shut down the network. Eon might be trying to do that. The lines are 60+ old and the poles start to show signs of movement.

every DNO is different just as every situation is different My cable head would be a daudle to do live IMO but my mums would have to be killed hers is way under stair and very fragile bakalite old one its a case of Horses for Courses and the guy on the ground being "Responsable for his health and saftey and the health and saftey of those around him" ie its Up to guys on the job Management cant dictate to do it live

It could be then that the head's damaged then, it's certainly very old and possibly unstable to work on. Thanks for the info guys :).

Reply to Eon Don't Work Live??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net