• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Domestic How old is this overcurrent protective device please?

Discuss How old is this overcurrent protective device please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

1shortcircuit

Never seen one of these before but I'm sure plenty of you guys have. Please could someone be kind enough to tell me more about it:thumbsup

Would this be part of the distributors equipment or the consumers?

Many Thanks in advance

TaffyDuck

Electrician's Arms
As its on the consumers side of the meter its your customers responsibilty. Age , guess at 60s maybe early 70s but thats a guess.

1shortcircuit

As its on the consumers side of the meter its your customers responsibilty.
Having a tired moment;)

This will need upgrading then as it would appear the 16mm twin and earth supplying the consumer unit upstairs is buried in the wall and I cannot see any evidence of mechanical protection.

TaffyDuck

Electrician's Arms
Well an upgrade yes. Depends on the max demand in the flat but you could consider putting the supply cable on a MCB.

P

Plonker 3

Looks all OK to me, 16mm T&E with a OCPD next to the DNO equipment which in turns looks like it feeds a DB in the 2nd floor flat.

K

Knobhead

It’s in the realm of the consumer.

It’s a 60 year old Bill 60A switch fuse. Despite what it looks like you will probably find the fuse isn’t a re-wireable but a TIA60A to BS88

1shortcircuit

1 x Socket radial supplying fridge and washing machine, 1 x lighting radial and 1 x ring final circuit.

My coffee cup is larger than the kettle currently in there lol.

P

Plonker 3

I`d put it on an B63, would cover it by the sounds
Why should it be changed for a MCB? Surely if it did need changing looking at the installation method it would need RCD protection if it did.

The OP hasn't asked about a replacement just who owns it.

Des 56

Forum Mentor
These were the top makers of isolators and switchfuses The name Bill would go hand in hand with industrial and domestic equipment
They were fitted quite often with seperate units for sub main or power or lighting with usually one or two ways

Removing the cover to get at the fuse holder was often the case,there is an interlock mechanism to prevent them being opened live
Switching them on when they were open required that little bar to be depressed

The ones used on industrial sites were more usuially hinged at the top with the isolator handle on the side and with 2 thimbscrew retainers with the same feature of interlock,I believe they have been merged with mem

ipf

Forum Mentor
These were the top makers of isolators and switchfuses The name Bill would go hand in hand with industrial and domestic equipment
They were fitted quite often with seperate units for sub main or power or lighting with usually one or two ways

Removing the cover to get at the fuse holder was often the case,there is an interlock mechanism to prevent them being opened live
Switching them on when they were open required that little bar to be depressed

The ones used on industrial sites were more usuially hinged at the top with the isolator handle on the side and with 2 thimbscrew retainers with the same feature of interlock,I believe they have been merged with mem
Bill/MEM have been merged a good while. Come under Eaton these days.

M

MarkieSparkie

The last time I saw one of those being fitted was July 30th 1966, it was World cup final morning and the sparks were rushing to get finished so they could watch the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]