Discuss How to send data signal from master socket to extension socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you test for volts DC across pins 2 & 5 upstairs? You should see about 48 volts.

Hey,
I've got a digital multimeter (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electric...MS8233D-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/B076B3H7N1), but it's been a while since I've used it.

Are there any safety precautions I need to take (disconnect anything, turn anything off, not touch anything with the probes)?

And do I just hold the probes to the 2 and 5 pins? Does it matter which way round they are?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge!

Thanks.

Are there any safety precautions I need to take (disconnect anything, turn anything off, not touch anything with the probes)?

Not really, no. It's extra low voltage. It's a live test you need to do to be able to measure it.

And do I just hold the probes to the 2 and 5 pins? Does it matter which way round they are?

Yes, just press your probes against the metal contacts on the back where the wires are. It doesn't really matter which way, it'll either read +48 or minus 48v if there is voltage present.

Yes, just press your probes against the metal contacts on the back where the wires are. It doesn't really matter which way, it'll either read +48 or minus 48v if there is voltage present.

I put the green and black wire back into the 2 and 5 connection on the master socket faceplate and the extension 2 and 5 wires read 50.8V exactly.

When I put the green and black wires into the A and B on the faceplate the voltage on the extension 2 and 5 wires fluctuates a lot. It seems to mostly go up and down between about 15V and 25V, but also goes up to 40+V. It's not constant at all though.

Not sure what that means?

Would removing the ring wire (the green wire in terminal 3 I think?) make a difference (as mentioned below)? Or am I best to leave it where it is?

"Why remove the ring wire?

Unfortunately, the ring wire can also act as an antenna, picking up interference from other electrical equipment in and around the house.

It is often found that disconnecting the ring wire improves the stability of a connection, sometimes considerably, especially on "star" wired telephone systems."

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .:: - https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

It seems to mostly go up and down between about 15V and 25V
Not sure what that means?

I'd say that means the Mk4 clip-on plate is fuggered!!

Would removing the ring wire (the green wire in terminal 3 I think?) make a difference

Whilst that may improve working broadband by a tiny fraction, yours isn't working at all yet. It shouldn't cause a total loss.

I just did an experiment for you. Incoming line(blue pair), no master socket at all, just a pure line measurement, 50.55v...

20181104_101422.jpg

Secondly, 5C master and Mk4 plate, extension added through "2&5", same result...

20181104_101740.jpg

And finally, extension added via "A & B" on the Mk4 plate. Still the same result, 50.55v...

20181104_101925.jpg

Do you have a krone tool and some offcuts of wire to experiment with? (cw1308 or cat5e wire, solid not stranded)

It would be very worthwhile bringing the extension socket downstairs and connecting it to "A & B" using a short piece of test wire.

This will bypass your 'odd' extension wiring, so if this works with the router in the extension socket, then you know the wiring from down to upstairs is the problem (despite you getting 50.8v upstairs, and despite it previously working, there could still be other factors at play here)

If you try this and it still doesn't work, then replace the Mk4 faceplate. There is an extremely tiny possibility that the 5C master could be the problem, but all signs are pointing toward the Mk4 at the moment.

Do you have a krone tool and some offcuts of wire to experiment with? (cw1308 or cat5e wire, solid not stranded)

It would be very worthwhile bringing the extension socket downstairs and connecting it to "A & B" using a short piece of test wire.

This will bypass your 'odd' extension wiring, so if this works with the router in the extension socket, then you know the wiring from down to upstairs is the problem (despite you getting 50.8v upstairs, and despite it previously working, there could still be other factors at play here)

If you try this and it still doesn't work, then replace the Mk4 faceplate. There is an extremely tiny possibility that the 5C master could be the problem, but all signs are pointing toward the Mk4 at the moment.

Thanks so much for doing that test. Good to know that connecting to A&B on the MK4 faceplate should be getting the same voltage read out on the extension.

As you say, it seems more likely that it'd be the A&B connection on the MK4 faceplate as opposed to the odd wiring, as the 2&5 connection send the signal to the extension and the extension previously received the phone and broadband signal before the Master Socket 5c MK4 faceplate was installed.

Unfortunately, I don't have a krone tool or any wiring to test the A&B directly right now. I'll look into either buying some or perhaps go out on a limb and just buy the MK4 faceplate, which I've seen for about ÂŁ10.

Thank you very much for all of your help with this. It's been incredibly useful and much easier to follow than any websites etc. I've been reading. Plus I've learnt a lot.

Cheers!! :)

One additional point, I'd be a bit concerned by the corrosion on the pins inside the extension socket...

qqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg

Not saying it's related to your issue, because your phone worked up there and measuring the fluctuating voltage was done in the IDC slots, not touching these.

BUT...

When you get the router working upstairs, if you get poor download speeds compared to before, or a connection that drops out now and then, it would certainly be worth swapping it for a new one. As you can see, it's pins 2 and 5 that are the worst and they're the only two that it uses! That could easily cause a high resistance joint and cause speed issues.

One additional point, I'd be a bit concerned by the corrosion on the pins inside the extension socket...

View attachment 45467

Not saying it's related to your issue, because your phone worked up there and measuring the fluctuating voltage was done in the IDC slots, not touching these.

BUT...

When you get the router working upstairs, if you get poor download speeds compared to before, or a connection that drops out now and then, it would certainly be worth swapping it for a new one. As you can see, it's pins 2 and 5 that are the worst and they're the only two that it uses! That could easily cause a high resistance joint and cause speed issues.

Yeah, that doesn't look too good!

I'll bear it in mind. Perhaps I'll look at changing it for a RJ11/RJ45 data socket anyway, seeing as it won't be used for a phone at all.

Thanks again!

Reply to How to send data signal from master socket to extension socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net