Discuss How to wire sauna heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, not sure to wire this in parallel or series.

Also, this seems to pre wired for three phase not for the home, but suppliers say it is for home use.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_182523.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • 3zLmE.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
op are you going to wire it your self and have you got the correct gear for testing .
I've a multi meter
[automerge]1572125470[/automerge]
Bottom section shows how to wire for single phase.
There's only 6 on the diagram. On the sauna there are 7 wires. I know third is single phase, bit sauna looks like it's the first diagram, which is three phase which makes me wonder has manufacturer made a mistake and wired it for three phase.
[automerge]1572125634[/automerge]
Hi there, not sure to wire this in parallel or series.

Also, this seems to pre wired for three phase not for the home, but suppliers say it is for home use.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
The are two switches, timer and heat/on/off. Timer on left, heat/on/off on right

I've a multi meter

There's only 6 on the diagram. On the sauna there are 7 wires. I know third is single phase, bit sauna looks like it's the first diagram, which is three phase which makes me wonder has manufacturer made a mistake and wired it for three phase.

A multimeter is not suitable for carrying out the tests required by the wiring regulations, nor is it suitable for carrying out safe isolation. You can of course ignore our advice about this and continue anyway, after all it's is only your life which you are placing at risk.

All three wiring diagrams apply to your sauna, they show the three different possible supply configurations.
The first connection diagram explains the purpose of the 7th terminal, repeating this two more times would make the diagram unnecessarily confusing so it is left off.

are you wiring the full system up your self .what wiring are you puting in.
Hi there, no, the the electrician left the wire in the sauna for me. So all I've to do is connect with sauna heater to supply via the correct heat proof wire.
[automerge]1572128822[/automerge]
A multimeter is not suitable for carrying out the tests required by the wiring regulations, nor is it suitable for carrying out safe isolation. You can of course ignore our advice about this and continue anyway, after all it's is only your life which you are placing at risk.

All three wiring diagrams apply to your sauna, they show the three different possible supply configurations.
The first connection diagram explains the purpose of the 7th terminal, repeating this two more times would make the diagram unnecessarily confusing so it is left off.

Hi thanks, I'll not ignore advice. But I'll take everyone's kind advice under consideration. Thanks again re the diagram, I hadn't thought that they'd do that! Just not sure if I can simply use a four pin bus bar or not though.

Hi there, no, the the electrician left the wire in the sauna for me. So all I've to do is connect with sauna heater to supply via the correct heat proof wire.
[automerge]1572128822[/automerge]

Hi thanks, I'll not ignore advice. But I'll take everyone's kind advice under consideration. Thanks again re the diagram, I hadn't thought that they'd do that! Just not sure if I can simply use a four pin bus bar or not though.

It looks to me like the seventh terminal won't need to be connected to anything so I would try it without it first.

It is wired for 3 phase and single phase.
My dear friend, if you can't read a simple wiring diagram, May I suggest that you call in a professional?
3 phase has the links removed and single phase has links inserted.
The seventh terminal is an optional "heating control". it will work regardless of this being connected.

I hope this helps.

What is the load of the sauna?

Are those links you have put in capable of carrying that load?
They are the same size as the internal wires. Should I try for larger?or wire in parallel? The heater is working fine though.
[automerge]1572205496[/automerge]
They are the same size as the internal wires. Should I try for larger?or wire in parallel? The heater is working fine though.
It's 4.5kw. the shop, not the manufacturer, said just now to use two U Links.

They are the same size as the internal wires.

But the internal wires are sized for 3 phase. They effectively have 3 parallel cables for the supply seeing that you are using single phase.
I would make the cable links the same size as the incoming cable size.

why? the links look fine. The links come from the manufacturer, surely you aren't questioning them?

The incoming cable should be sized for the power consumption of the item. The links will be taking the same current, therefore I personally would use links the same size as the incoming cable.
The choice is yours to make mate.

The incoming cable should be sized for the power consumption of the item. The links will be taking the same current, therefore I personally would use links the same size as the incoming cable.
Sure, the supply cable should be sized to carry recommended current. The right size links are already chosen by the manufacturer, so the choice has been made for us. I guess the trick is in choosing the cable size, not the links.

Reply to How to wire sauna heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net