Discuss Inverters for electric engines. Is this a good combo? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a quick question. Is it possible for an inverter to power this electric outboard marine engine?

eCycle Marine Systems | Electric Powerhead for Yamaha 6, 8, & 8 HT
http://www.ecyclemarine.com/eCycleOutboard.pdf
http://www.ecyclemarine.com/OB%20config.pdf

Im sorry if the question of the inverter is a bit vague, I just think their power unit they have to offer is very overpriced.

thanks

As the motor runs off a battery why would you want an invertor:confused:

An invertor converts DC into AC.:confused:

Basicly all they are offering is a replacement 24vDC electric motor and (I assume) controller to replace the existing petrol power head and not a whole outboard. I'm afraid that in the real world their price is not too bad as the controller alone will knock you back at least £500. Then you need to spend the same again for a pile of batteries to keep it running for a couple of hours. and maybe a grand for a diesel generator to charge the batteries. As for an inverter, what purpose would that serve? Motor is DC and Inverter output is ac.

Hello everyone

The reason why I have mentioned the inverter is because even though my knowledge of electrics is novice. I knew that an inverter can boost the watts in the output from the input wattage entering the inverter. I dont have the expertise to know all the implications for this hence why I am here. I was just thinking that perhaps there were other solutions I could use apart from an auxilary power unit. Not that im a cheapskate just that like everyone else in these times, I haven't a lot of money on me. I therefore would like to ask you are there any alternative methods I can use to power this appliance.

Ideally in my mind I am thinking of using a 12V marine battery and using electrical apparatus to boost the electricity to the required specifications needed for the engine.

Does anyone know how to do this??

thanks in advance for any feedback :)

An inverter cannot increase the power coming out - there will always be slightly less power out than in, because nothing is 100% efficient. It can give more voltage out, but at the expense of current for example. Daz

OK. Im a bit confused now. Would a transformer be necessary?

To put in simple terms, what will I need to have to turn the electric "potency" from a car/boat battery to a power/voltage rating high enough to power the motor for the outboard engine?

I dont wish to be fuel dependant at all so I dont wish to use a fuel-powered generator to do this. There must be a way. Electricity at electric sub-stations can be stepped up and down and construction sites have 110V to 240V transformers. I'd be grateful for any advice given

greenelephant

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if I'm missing something here but the motors are DC and so will run off batteries. Transformers only work on AC by their nature. Daz

I think we're on a different planet here. A 9HP DC motor (approx 7Kw) is going to need a lot more punch than your 12v battery will deliver. Point 1, The motor is 24V not 12V. so two batteries in series would be needed.
24V driving this motor will need 290Amps so two 12v batteries in series rated at 200Ah will last just over half an hour when the batteries voltage will have dropped to a point when a recharge is needed.
Point 2. Standard motor or marine lead acid batteries are not intended for this type of deep cycle use and will have a very short life.
Point 3. DC batteries can not have their power output increased by inverters, transformers, or any other means.

Should you find a way of increasing the power from a battery, you will have cracked a whole new story and will be on your way to making very big bucks. I'm sure Tesla would love to hear from you.

Please tell us first how you do it as I'm sure nobody here would consider patenting it before you.

Just as an aside. Construction site trannies convert 230 - 110 and not the other way round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry if there is a misunderstanding.
I dont want to sound insulting but I do know that 12V batttery wont start a outboard engine! What I meant was is there a device that can strengthen the electric flow in between the 12V battery and the electric motor. Just I was sure there could be a way without resorting to a portable generator. I thought that there were transformers available that could step up the voltage and power by coiling more copper wire round the magnet on the output side in comparison to the input side.

Nevertheless is there a feasible way to eventually power the motor initially from a battery or am I dreaming?

Reply to Inverters for electric engines. Is this a good combo? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net