Discuss New MFT, what's the best units to look at? EICR industrial, time saving! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just landed a job as an electrical tester and need a new MFT (mainly light industrial).

As I'm going to be spending considerable time testing I thought I'd ask about the new high-end options.

what are peoples favourites?

Are these new fancy options like Bluetooth on the mergers good, or just gimmicks?

Has anyone tried these part MFT part computer Metrel testers?

Does all that stuff or just make stuff complicated for the sake of it?!

metrel mi3155 eurotest xd seems fancy, but does it do anything useful or just complicate stuff?

What is everyone's dream tester at any price and why do they think it's the best?!

Thanks,

TL;DR
Need a new MFT, want something good, what should I look at?
Depends on what testing you do, the auto linking and auto EIC completion software are good if you are doing pretty similar things all the time.

If it's widely different stuff then I don't think it's worth it.

I much prefer a simple tester with functionality - I use a megger 1731 .

But you really need to understand exactly what you are going to use it for, some as said lend themselves to more routine stuff, others for more flexible usage.

That's part of the problem...I'm not really sure what I'll be doing!
Part of me thinks I should have enquired more before applying =)

My thinking is specifically, they are either going to provide me with a new meter, or get me to buy tools.

If I'm buying tools, I'd like to be informed on the kit.

As you say, If I'm doing very repetitive stuff then a fancy automated tester that does everything thing might speed up my job.

However, it's hard to fault the simplicity of a good megger...

That's part of the problem...I'm not really sure what I'll be doing!
Part of me thinks I should have enquired more before applying =)

My thinking is specifically, they are either going to provide me with a new meter, or get me to buy tools.

If I'm buying tools, I'd like to be informed on the kit.

As you say, If I'm doing very repetitive stuff then a fancy automated tester that does everything thing might speed up my job.

However, it's hard to fault the simplicity of a good megger...
May be worth asking them if they provide.

Some organisations like to provide instrumentation and maintain test certificates etc themselves.

You could leave it until you start, and find out if you need to get your own , and what the others there use.

Perhaps watch a few videos, not the unboxing sales type stuff - more those where electricians actually use them in anger.

David Slavery is particularly good in that respect as he doesn't sugar coat stuff.

May be worth asking them if they provide.

Some organisations like to provide instrumentation and maintain test certificates etc themselves.

You could leave it until you start, and find out if you need to get your own , and what the others there use.
It's quite plausible. I'm asking just in case it is an option to chose my kit.

I don't really know what is out there.

I only really know metrel, fluke and megger.

Are there any good brands or models that are worth investing in?

It's quite plausible. I'm asking just in case it is an option to chose my kit.

I don't really know what is out there.

I only really know metrel, fluke and megger.

Are there any good brands or models that are worth investing in?
Lots around now, but those are all respected.

I'm liking the look of the Megger 1741+.

It's simple, I currently use the 1721, so no learning curve.

The thing that seems to have won me over is the fancy low current loop quality analysier.
No more running 5 tests to see which one is most accurate, it runs the test until it's happy with the result....allegedly.

"
Confidence Meter

The Megger MFT1741+ Multifunction Tester’s confidence meter illustrates the degree of confidence in the accuracy of the loop impedance measurement. The digital ARC indicates the analytical process and the measurement is continually monitored and adjusted with regard to the circuit noise. As loop impedance values are particularly susceptible to changes in circuit noise, the confidence meter has been included to indicate the reliability of these measurements."

Has anyone used this feature, it looks very helpful, but I'm going off one biased review.

The thing that seems to have won me over is the fancy low current loop quality analysier.
No more running 5 tests to see which one is most accurate, it runs the test until it's happy with the result....allegedly
If you get it, I'd be very interested to hear how you find that feature in practise.

I feel like joking that the scale of the confidence meter should probably go from "None" to "Low" 😉
Given the starting point of this test is doing an incredibly short duration test at a certain point in the wave cycle at a very low current I haven't ever have a huge amount of trust for low current Zs results. As you say, you can get 5 different readings in a row.
I also wonder how long it will sit there before giving up if it's impossible?!
Fair play to Megger for trying to improve the situation though.

If you get it, I'd be very interested to hear how you find that feature in practise.
Me as well.

They might have some fancy aspect that actually improves the accuracy of the test, but even if it simply lets you know a confidence range of values you then know if it falls in to the Zs requirement OK or not, in which case you might need to asses the Zs by other means (e.g. from high current Ze + R1 + R2 etc).

I'm currently torn between the Metrel touch screen jobby and the Kewtech KT66DL as I'm needing EV testing features in the very near future. I like the simplicity of a dial selector to choose the test I want, and for a quick glance to check I'm not still on a dead test when I'm about to do a Zs...

One thing I can't find much feedback on is the battery life of the Kewtech. The Metrel has a built in rechargeable battery pack which is a nice feature.

I've checked with Kewtech and they will work with rechargeable batteries but the indicator will drop off a lot quicker.

My current Dilog DL9110 seems to chew through batteries in about 1-2 days of testing.

What's the battery life of the Kewtechs like?

Reply to New MFT, what's the best units to look at? EICR industrial, time saving! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net