Discuss Kewtech 66DL or 63DL in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm in the market for a new MFT.
I have a Dilog 9118 which has served me very well for 4 years but I need something more compact hence looking at the Kewtech's. I mainly do domestic work and EICRs with some commercial work from time to time. Will the bells and whistles of the 66DL be worth it in time (any regs changes coming up??) or is it better to just save the extra money and go with the 63DL?

What are peoples experiences of the 2 testers? it's a shame but there doesn't seem to be much on youtube of worth except some spare vids from kewtech. Really nice people on the phone but they need to get some people reviewing their gear more.

Ive had the kt63 for 8 years, its never let me down, and I've never needed more functions than it has (i need to upgrade to one with type A rcd testing but the dl does that) i will when the time comes go for the 66dl though, although there's no requirement to at present it does test spds and i think it does other types of rcd, and can do car chargers with an attachment.

Day to day my biggest gripe of the 63 is having to swap the test leads around in the meter when doing live or dead testing, if the 66 doesnt need you to do that it would be worth it to save my annoyance, even if it is almost double the cost.

Also a KT63 owner, agree with everything above.
The 66DL has a two-wire non-trip Zs test, missing from the 63 and 65 series. This might actually be the biggest daily benefit for testing at light switches or in certain tight spots where you need three hands.
But it's a good chunk of change more!

Handy table comparing them on this page btw

Ive had the kt63 for 8 years, its never let me down, and I've never needed more functions than it has (i need to upgrade to one with type A rcd testing but the dl does that) i will when the time comes go for the 66dl though, although there's no requirement to at present it does test spds and i think it does other types of rcd, and can do car chargers with an attachment.

Day to day my biggest gripe of the 63 is having to swap the test leads around in the meter when doing live or dead testing, if the 66 doesnt need you to do that it would be worth it to save my annoyance, even if it is almost double the cost.
Thanks for this. Despite the Dilog being good to me for 4 years there are a few niggles with it - one of the being leads. It has a three lead cable with a plug on it but it doesn’t do R1 R2 tests with that connected so you have to swap the leads over and use a plug adapter….what’s the point!

Last edited:
Also a KT63 owner, agree with everything above.
The 66DL has a two-wire non-trip Zs test, missing from the 63 and 65 series. This might actually be the biggest daily benefit for testing at light switches or in certain tight spots where you need three hands.
But it's a good chunk of change more!

Handy table comparing them on this page btw
Ahhh right. I missed that about the 66dl’s Zs testing, that would be really handy on a daily basis….but yes, the cost is making me think

The SPD test is simply an insulation resistance ramp test. I have a KT66DL it is good, I bought the matching EV charger test adaptor to go with it. It is a good tester. Some tests are faster, some tests are slower than the KT63. The 3 wire loop test displays loop, PFC and PSC readings all at once. The 2 wire low current loop test is useful, but slow. I've only had it a week so I've not used it much yet. The screen is bright and easy to read. The 66 also allows testing of all types of RCD currently available.

The 63 is a good choice for those only carrying out domestic work. the 65/66 allow phase to phase PSC and loop testing, testing of 110V supplies and so on.

Oh and the Kew meters no longer have magnets fitted into the base which is a shame, that was a very useful feature.

In terms of cost the kt66dl without ev adaptor cost me ÂŁ950+vat in rexel.
Just go in and ask them to match an online price. They did for me and beat it.
I bought mine when jus released so prices come down a bit since

Will give Rexell a go. Current cheapest is £1’189 Inc VAT from test meter. co.uk but considering that’s where I bought my Dilog from and they didn’t supply it with the original leads (some cheap 3rd party ones, only realised later) I’d rather not buy from them again.

The SPD test is simply an insulation resistance ramp test. I have a KT66DL it is good, I bought the matching EV charger test adaptor to go with it. It is a good tester. Some tests are faster, some tests are slower than the KT63. The 3 wire loop test displays loop, PFC and PSC readings all at once. The 2 wire low current loop test is useful, but slow. I've only had it a week so I've not used it much yet. The screen is bright and easy to read. The 66 also allows testing of all types of RCD currently available.

The 63 is a good choice for those only carrying out domestic work. the 65/66 allow phase to phase PSC and loop testing, testing of 110V supplies and so on.

Oh and the Kew meters no longer have magnets fitted into the base which is a shame, that was a very useful feature.
Thanks. Ok, thats where I was hoping things to speed up a bit, the dilog Zs/ Ze is a bit slow.
Yes I noted that they don't have the magnets anymore, shame as that would be quite useful.
BTW by the 63 do you mean the that or the 63 DL?

It's hard to tell as there a variations in the 63s The earlier software was better than the newer 63 software. The 63DL is better in some ways and has extra functions but I don't use either very often now. Apprentice has my 63DL at the moment so I can't check.

Reply to Kewtech 66DL or 63DL in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net