Discuss Plug/Fused Switch Outlet in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Folks,
Is there any hard or fast rule on what should be on a plug/fused outlet. I am aware portable equipment - plug 😂. I recently did a PAT and everything is on plug. Likely everything max of 13A. This includes the shutter motors which are fixed outside (plug inside of course). I don't see or can find anything applicable in 18th edition or 5th edition for PAT. It just doesn't look right!! Any advice be really appreciated.

Jonny

Folks,
Is there any hard or fast rule on what should be on a plug/fused outlet. I am aware portable equipment - plug 😂. I recently did a PAT and everything is on plug. Likely everything max of 13A. This includes the shutter motors which are fixed outside (plug inside of course). I don't see or can find anything applicable in 18th edition or 5th edition for PAT. It just doesn't look right!! Any advice be really appreciated.

Jonny

Not really any hard and fast rule. But don't forget PAT testing (or ISITEE as it is now known) doesn't involve just testing things that are portable, and neither does it mean just testing things with plugs on. Both of these are common misconceptions, not helped by the use of the phrase 'PAT'.

And obviously the biggest part of ISITEE is usually the inspection bit rather than the testing bit.

Not really any hard and fast rule. But don't forget PAT testing (or ISITEE as it is now known) doesn't involve just testing things that are portable, and neither does it mean just testing things with plugs on. Both of these are common misconceptions, not helped by the use of the phrase 'PAT'.

And obviously the biggest part of ISITEE is usually the inspection bit rather than the testing bit.
Thanks good reply. Yes aware that it is inspection of fixed as well as static and portable equipment. Yes the term PAT is not helpful.

To be honest a lot depends on circumstances. As an example, hair dryers are normally on 13A plugs, but in hotels etc. they may be connected via an FCU to avoid theft.

Boilers - can be FCU or plug, both would comply with regs.

I saw it a lot in shop fitting all low bay lights on 13amp plug tops and everything else pluged into bus bar track above ceiling. What I dont like is 30 meters of flex going across a false ceiling with a 13 amp plug on the end to supply the intruder alarm system🤔

Reply to Plug/Fused Switch Outlet in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net