Discuss scrap prices in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
iv never really been one for collecting scrap, however in the last 6 months i have realised how much money iv missed out on. At the end of July i took 3 black bins worth of t + e and got £170, at the beggining of October i took roughly the same amount to a different scrappy but only got £90. The guy at the second place said the value had fallen by £1000 per tonne in the last week. I wasnt happy but took his word for it. I now have another load but dont want to cash it in if the price is low. I looked earlier at one scrappy who were buying household at £1480 per tonne. I dont think this is a good price but im not very experienced at this game. Any advice would be greatly app. ty

Hi mate, I got £1.40 a kilo last week which is good at moment. This is for unstripped cable so the lazy mans choice. Dry bright is maybe £4.50 a kilo but a few months back hit £6.

I think you'll find scrap prices fall coming upto Xmas. The scrapman knows we like a Xmas drink.
yep well I have all this weighing in malaky to come and if I dont like what i`m offered i`l be going elseware and christmas wont change owt......i`l just save it until the scrapper decides he wants the stuff enough.....enough to get his mits in his pocket that is...lol.....were tight up in yorkshire you know..lol...........

Just ring up a couple of local scrap dealers and get their prices, that should find out if your being given a true price.
A good question to ask is if they take burnt copper, sign of a true pikey! Can get a decent price and save a whole lot of time stripping cable

There are no new rules coming in.
A group of 'interested parties' are pushing to make it more regulated, as they think it will cut down on metal thefts, however, they seem to have forgotten that dealing in stolen metal is a crime now, so the nefarious scrap dealer wont take any notice of any new law. It wont happen anyway, as existing laws already cover scrap dealers - the Scrap Dealers act 1964.

For wholesale metal prices see here:
Non-Ferrous Metal Prices — letsrecycle.com - recycling and waste management news and information

The prices have fallen recently, the brazier copper price is currently at £2.80/kg, yet I got £3.10 yesterday, so local factors do come into it.
It is not worth stripping electric cable (unless it is 35mm+), as the time taken far exceeds the extra value you get.

Alan.

Burning cables a very bad idea, it releases a number of death inducing compounds into the atmosphere!!!!My brother in law is a paramedic & went to an isolated farm near bristol a while back- bloke dead in his front room, pile of house hold cable on fire place. Fumes KILLED him. For real.

I have 16 x 110v florries in my garden that I checked over the weekend put fresh lamps in them, flexed them all up putting plugs and sockets on them soi they will be ready for the next project

some cheeky B45T4RD has lifted the fence panel and cut all the flexes of the light fittings..........

(not a happy chapy :-(( )

I have 16 x 110v florries in my garden that I checked over the weekend put fresh lamps in them, flexed them all up putting plugs and sockets on them soi they will be ready for the next project

some cheeky B45T4RD has lifted the fence panel and cut all the flexes of the light fittings..........

(not a happy chapy :-(( )
Sorry to hear that,
I think its more a case of some cheeky robbing thieving Thick B45T4RD who has no idea of scrap value mabee he just needed a load of lenths of flex with 110v plugs fitted,People are unbeliveable for the hassle you have of fitting new flex and plugs on your lights some scum bag may make a couple of quid to but some drugs:63:

the older type 110v floouries were fun when removing them from site we had to check them all as the "guys on site" use to aquire the wee 110v>240v upstep transformers then fit them in a wee box to charge drills ect without having to fork out for a proper 110v charger
I havent had much scoof recently but do have a plastic bin in the shed for wee cuttings ect always have done this n always had a nice surprice at weigh in time
In glasgow there use to be "gadgies" went round with shopping trolleys of wheel barrows collecting what wee bits of scrap they could find best wayto stop them theiving from site was to give them a wee bit any time you saw them as 1 site i know of didnt do this they chased said "gadgies away" one morning on return to site oops there was 50mtr 25mm 4 core "missing" site was secure round the perimiter but NOT when gadgies climb scaffold and through upper floor window

I heard somewhere that after burning whilst it still hot if you throw brick acid over the copper it makes it bright again, never tried it myself , cant see the logic in buying something to try to make more money

Oh well back to the scrap with the stanley knife

Jamie

Burning cables a very bad idea, it releases a number of death inducing compounds into the atmosphere!!!!My brother in law is a paramedic & went to an isolated farm near bristol a while back- bloke dead in his front room, pile of house hold cable on fire place. Fumes KILLED him. For real.

Well i didnt think anybody would be as stupid to door it indoors!!
Its what you bbq sitting in the garden is usefull for during the winter months

Sorry to hear that,
I think its more a case of some cheeky robbing thieving Thick B45T4RD who has no idea of scrap value mabee he just needed a load of lenths of flex with 110v plugs fitted,People are unbeliveable for the hassle you have of fitting new flex and plugs on your lights some scum bag may make a couple of quid to but some drugs:63:

I think the costs of the 110v plugs and sockets was more than they got for the scrap cable (even if they striped it)

the older type 110v floouries were fun when removing them from site we had to check them all as the "guys on site" use to aquire the wee 110v>240v upstep transformers then fit them in a wee box to charge drills ect without having to fork out for a proper 110v charger
I havent had much scoof recently but do have a plastic bin in the shed for wee cuttings ect always have done this n always had a nice surprice at weigh in time
In glasgow there use to be "gadgies" went round with shopping trolleys of wheel barrows collecting what wee bits of scrap they could find best wayto stop them theiving from site was to give them a wee bit any time you saw them as 1 site i know of didnt do this they chased said "gadgies away" one morning on return to site oops there was 50mtr 25mm 4 core "missing" site was secure round the perimiter but NOT when gadgies climb scaffold and through upper floor window

Hmm

My Radio came with the 50mm trunking and the 110v lead with it,

honestly it did
(WEG)

Reply to scrap prices in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net