Discuss So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something like in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something

From what I can gather....many Electricians, use timber, so as to space the consumer unit off the wall so that cables can enter from the rear. Would that practice be suitable with metal units to comply with regs Jan 2016

Re: So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something

From what I can gather....many Electricians, use timber, so as to space the consumer unit off the wall so that cables can enter from the rear. Would that practice be suitable with metal units to comply with regs Jan 2016

I hope so as that is precisely what I did on a metal CU change last week.

said it before and i'll say it again. stupid knee-jerk reaction to poor training, teaching guys how to tighten terminals. they tried torque drivers. didn't work. now bolting the stable door to keep the horses inside when the stable's on fire. proper training after scrapping short courses would solve the problem.

I hope so as that is precisely what I did on a metal CU change last week.
You will be OK, new regs not in yet! lol But, seriously though, do you think it would have to be somehow sealed? Also would timber being used be frowned upon?

BEAMA (British Electrotechnical and Allied Manufacturers' Association) are nothing more than a manufacturers trade organisation and shouldn't be considered as anything more than that!! They are NOT independent, they represent the interests of 350 companies that pay fees to BEAMA....

I'll mention it once again, ...the rest of Europe seem to be very happy with the present fire retardant BS/EN standards relating to enclosures containing OCPD and the like, and have no plans on making any changes!! So who's being lead up the proverbial garden path??

WE ARE !!
If all qualified Sparkie's got together and grew a pair, we would all be telling the scheme providers and the IEE that they can shove there all steel enclosure reg where the sun don't shine.
But as usual we just bend over and take it. Always have, always will.
Sad thing is WE are the ones left with a very badly thought out hot potato.
And once again profits will be made at our expense.

You will be OK, new regs not in yet! lol But, seriously though, do you think it would have to be somehow sealed? Also would timber being used be frowned upon?

No I dont think it would need to be sealed,nor do I think mounting the CU on ply would be non-compliant. But then I may be wrong,there's a lot of confusion on this still. This was a domestic 3 phase install and 3 separate DB's were used,one for on peak and two off peak,with an all metal main switch and a 100a contactor.First metal domestic for me for years! We had to order the DB's and wait 2 weeks for them as manufactuers are way behind with supply despite loads of notice that this was coming in.
I think this will create a whole load of new unforseen problems. Guys who are time served and used to commercial/industrial will have no problem with an awkward or more complicated CU change. But show some of the short course merchants a nut and bolt and a brass bush and they'll be lost.
I predict some right abortions come next year.

No I dont think it would need to be sealed,nor do I think mounting the CU on ply would be non-compliant. But then I may be wrong,there's a lot of confusion on this still. This was a domestic 3 phase install and 3 separate DB's were used,one for on peak and two off peak,with an all metal main switch and a 100a contactor.First metal domestic for me for years! We had to order the DB's and wait 2 weeks for them as manufactuers are way behind with supply despite loads of notice that this was coming in.
I think this will create a whole load of new unforseen problems. Guys who are time served and used to commercial/industrial will have no problem with an awkward or more complicated CU change. But show some of the short course merchants a nut and bolt and a brass bush and they'll be lost.
I predict some right abortions come next year.

LATEST DEAL.............Free condoms with all new metal CU's! :icon12:

they'll need to be all metal construction condoms to comply with the latest BS for rubbers.

The new regs I've read require CU to be constructed of non combustible materials, nothing said about containing fire, nor having adjacent materials being non combustible (i.e. mounting on ply etc). Non of the manufacturers have provided for sealing of CU's (like fire retardant down lights). Mods could we have a sticky thread (or whatever it's called) for metal, sorry non combustible CU's. Seems to be a lot of discussion about this reg and metal CU, installation & interpretation of the reg. etc?

Customer
Hi,
You fitted a consumer unit for us about 10 months ago.
You
Yes that's right, how can I help ?
Customer
Well the thing is I have just been browsing websites, and I have found the consumer unit you fitted is no longer compliant.
You
Yes there are new regulations concerning the materials used, but don't worry because it was compliant at the time of installation.
Customer
Well I am worried, because its not just a matter of a change in regulations is it !!
You
What do you mean ?
Customer
Well the regulations have been changed due to a potential fire hazard with the consumer unit you installed.
Apparently the materials used are not considered as non combustible.
I therefore feel I have been left with a consumer unit that is constructed of sub standard materials and from what I read a potential fire hazard in my home.
To be honest, I feel they should be re called and replaced with the new all metal units free of charge, by you.
And that it's up to you as the registered installer to seek compensation from the manufacturer or whoever you feel is responsible.
When can you come and replace the sub standard unit please, as I don't want a potential fire hazard left in my home.
You
And this is the bit for your thoughts and comments lads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the conversation is far more likely to go:

Customer
Hi,
You fitted a consumer unit for us about 10 months ago.
You
Yes that's right, how can I help ?
Customer
Well the thing is I have just been browsing websites, and I would like some LED downlights please.
You
That would be fine, so everything ok with the consumer unit I fitted.
Customer
Yes, all ok.

The End :smile5:

I just can't see your scenario happening BaldSparks. Far too much fuss being made about it all!

Come 2016 the manufacturers will have made something compliant be it metal or plastic, and we'll fit it, and thats about it.

just remember that the titanic was all metal and complied with appropriate current regs.

just remember that the titanic was all metal and complied with appropriate current regs.

Ye gods, you saying new cu's have to have lifeboats in case they hit icebergs ???
Don't let the powers to be hear that !!
Amendment 4 here we come !!!

No lifeboats, just a flood system.

co2bottles_zpsk8tqs9vw.jpg

This is similar to the recall of Wylex breakers (well not as extream) but you get the picture. If exery customer expected there install to comply with the current edition of the regs then it would be a constant battle.

Reply to So with the all steel consumer units on the way your conversation goes something like in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net