Discuss TL inverters And array frame bonding in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi again.

Right, I am seeing very mixed reactions and comments about the below question, I am just hoping to find a basic answer and reference please.

If you are installing a TL (fronius primo 3.6 in my case) to a domestic property, in the loft space with 16panels already installed on the roof (no velux window!!)... Do I also now need to take an earth from the array frame?

Said install is a tncs earthing arrangement, fronius can't give me an answer as it is not their place to say (understandable).

Also if this was a TT system would that change things?

Please just some simple guidance is all I ask, it's baffling me, I understand with TL you have some residual current going to the array giving the potential for a slight shock to maybe the customer who happens to be on the roof space without switching the PV off.

Many thanks
dB

I read the manual for the Fronious TL 3.6. Key points are that it is transformer-less so there is no galvanic isolation between the ac and dc sides; it incorporates RCMU - residual current monitoring unit designed to disconnected from the mains in the event of ac or dc earth leakage; if an rcd is used then it is to be a Type A: this is taken from the manual page 13:

The inverter is equipped with an RCMU according to DIN VDE 0126-1-1. It monitors residual currents from the solar module to the inverter grid connection and disconnects the inverter from the grid when an improper residual current is detected. Additional residual current protection may be needed depending on the installation's protection system or the requirements of the utility company. In this case, use a type A residual current circuit breaker with a release current of at least 100 mA.

There is no specific guidance on earthing and bonding other than to connect the cpc to the inverter.

My opinion is that with such earth leakage detection equipment and no galvanic isolation (ie: transformerless) then the dc array + and - should be left floating and the pv array metalwork should be bonded to the MET. The dc cables should be insulated and sheathed or insulated and then run in conduit to provide the equivalent of double insulation protection. And this would apply for TN-S, TNC-S and TT installations. But this is only my opinion and not something authorative to refer to.

A bit more delving and I turned up this DTI sponsored study in 2002 ( so later material could be available) on the subject of transformerless PV inverter system, earthing, bonding and earthing systems which is worth a slow read as I have done:

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100104194450/http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file16525.pdf

It chimes with my opinion but includes a proviso to check first with the DNO about the connection of the PV array metalwork to the MET for PME systems so presumably TNC-S too. There is a very clear and helpful earthing decision tree on page 42. This study informed some DTI guidance to installers which so far I have not managed to find.

Once can though end up in a debate about 'exporting PME' depending on whether the roof array is considered to be within or without the equipotential zone. This is a question well covered in the EF and others can provide up-to-date advice to you; I seem to remember one cannot export PME unless an conductor equal to or greater than the incoming line conductor is employed - but don't rely on me for the correct details. I hope others will chip in on the rules and detail.

If I turn up anything else I will report it but this early reply hopefully is of some use to you. I am not familiar with what the IET regulations might say but presumably you have a copy and have looked/could look? Anyway some pointers which may lead to a definitive, authoritative reference.
[automerge]1588668524[/automerge]
Just found this later document (2012) by ECA and MCS:

See 2.2 Design Part 2 – Earthing, Protective Equipotential Bonding and Lightning Protection on page 38 and a similar earthing flow chart Fig 10 on page 40. Para 2.2.4 covers the question of whether the array is an extraneous conductive part and the matter of PME etcetera.

It seems to me that an informed judgement has to be made about whether a roof top array can be considered an extraneous conductive part and this is guided by some resistance testing between the array frame and MET; less than 22kOhms it is an ECP and greater than 22kOhms it is not. I wonder what you do if the R is say 25K?

I reckon I would bond the array back to MET after asking the DNO first for advice in the PME/TNCS setting.
[automerge]1588669233[/automerge]
( Press post too quickly)
I reckon I would bond the array back to MET after asking the DNO first for advice in the PME/TNCS setting. That way if someone came along to wash the array with water from the premise's cold/hot water system I'd be sure the array and water were at equipotential.

Last edited:
Further to my last - having spent the day reading up further and sight of some helpful IET reference material provided by John Peckham I believe I can now provide a clearer answer to your initial post.

1. The earthing and bonding decision flow chart I mentioned earlier forms the basis of decision making.

2. The most onerous requirement is the one to be installed.

3. One first decides on whether the Array Frame(AF) is an extraneous conducting part (ExtCP). An array on a wooden roof is generally not but one on a metal roof is likely to be. The resistance measurement between MET and frame can provide information to aid a decision on something is an ExtCP - less than 22kR or is not - more than 22kR. If the AF is an ExtCP then it is to be equipotential bonded to the MET.

4. If the AF is not an ECP then the next question is whether it is an exposed conducting part (ExpCP). If the PV modules are Type B or C which are equivalent to Class 2 and 3, then by definition they do not need to be connected to earth. So Type B or C modules attached to metal AFs do not make the AF and extraneous conducting part.

5. Further to 4 - even though the PV modules did not necessitate the AF to be earthed, the attachment to the AF of wiring and other electrical items which are Class 1 makes the AF an exposed conducting part requiring protective earthing. Insulated but not sheathed dc PV cables and connectors attached to the AF then cause the AF to become an ExpCP but insulated and sheathed dc cables would not. One would earth the AF back to the inverter's earth terminal - which in turn is connected to the MET via its mains cable.

6. If the AF is not an ExtCP or an ExpCP then what remains is a consideration of functional earthing. The functional earth conductor (no smaller than 4mm2 and running parallel with the dc cables) links the AF to the inverter's earth terminal. Such a connection supports the Residual Current Leakage monitoring which is especially important for transformer-less inverters connected to the grid.

7. For transformer inverters providing satisfactory galvanic isolation between ac and dc sub-systems then the AF could be left floating but generally the best practice is to connect the AF at least functionally to the inverter's earth.

In sum then, my study indicates the AF should be earthed in some way. It is the purpose of the connection which determines how thick the connection needs to be.

A top tip is to daisy chain the earth connections to separate array frames with one end going to the earth terminal and the other to a test point inside the building to allow future resistance testing between them without access to the arrays themselves.

Finally care must be taken with dissimilar metals to avoid electrolytic corrosion at the AF earthing points.

dB: This is the best I can do for you. Others can add to, correct or amplify further.

:)

Last edited:

Reply to TL inverters And array frame bonding in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net