Discuss URGENT; building notice for major works(new circuit).Can I advise council late? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

wondered if you would be so kind to poss give me guidance pls.

I got my first ever NICEIC assessor visit for me to become a dom installer, on tues 23rd April 2013, next week, and need to know how i can now do the 'buildings notice' advising the council of works im doing?

its saturday today, only 3 days before the NIC assessor will be visiting. But I searched and found that SOME councils are ok with infroming them within 10 days after the works complete. (Im due to complete the install in 2 days time)
The major work is; a new circuit from the Consumer unit to power an external socket past the garden.

I'm thinking from what i seen in blogs that different councils/areas have different views/concerns with how urgently/relaxed they are advise of work planned/completed.

Im in Chelmsford Essex, im installing at my neighbours house.

I seen on LABC website and my Chelmsford council website that its possible to apply 'retrospectively' they call a 'regularisation charge' if im not getting things mixed up. (but they state it would be illegal for me to have carried out the work initially) and that the client (my neighbour) has to apply by that means themselves. My neighbour is a friend who might be ok with doing that.

I'm getting the feeling that I can just send the 'building notice' plus fee of 179.74 pounds all online today, then call them on monday to get them to give me the ok/authorithy to commence works, which i would have already done by them any way. Then later just advise them its been checked by NICEIC and forward them details, if council kick off i will just have to take an earfull i suppose.

When i rang chelmsford borough council a week ago, i got spoken to like a school kid, by someone who sounded like an old timer who knows there is an 'ideal procedure' for an 'ideal world' but wouldnt say that there are probably other ways how electricians tackle the dates/times/methods of reporting major works in the councils long drawn out procedure.
That guys said;
Apply online with fee for buildings notice.
They will look at my plans. Assess it.
Ask for further details plans and calculations.
Advise me if ok to start or not.
Upon first fix stage, before anything enclosed/covered - they appoint a local elec company to check my work out.
Then upon final fix/testing they appoint same guy to revisit me to check final work.
Then if he confirms im compliant, he confirms this to council.

My problem is that there was not time to do all this by the time my NICEIC date was booked or i will have a 290 pounds rebooking penalty.

Strange coz the NICEIC visit will be doing just the same checks what the council want to sent one of their elec reps to do on my works.

PM me if easier for me to call you to explain your answer. thx

thanks very much.

get the job done. have your assessment, then notify LABC through niceic. ( within 30 days of the date you put on the certificate).

Dont fret man. The council aren't bothered and the NICEIC know all about the chicken/egg problem. Once you've passed, notify the job. Council will be none the wiser.

...im getting some info.... that after/if I get a 'pass' from the NICEIC assessor, then i just inform BCO within 30 days, due to me being the new 'registed competant person' on a scheme !!

just sould take a week or two for my details to become live/active with the NICEIC.... seems a simple solution!

anyone agree?

thx

you don't inform BCO, tell em nowt. you notify niceic on line through their website. they do the rest.

Yep, don't fret. If there's anything your assessor is uncertain about, they'll take you on and ask you to show that you've improved it. You sound like you're prepared, just double check you've got all the documentation they will ask for and brush up on you test/inspect skills.

and make sure the hobnobs are fresh. and watch out for this instant fail......... FFS have sugar in the house even if you don't use it. nothing worse than gagging for a brew , only to be told " sorry, we ain't got any sugar".

as said dont panic they want you to pass almost as much as you do so they can get your money so they are not trying to trip you up and will ask normal questions like zs on a 32 amp b class breaker, you can even look it up piece of **** ha ha sleep well

Hate to put a downer on things but I passed again a few months ago(long story) and my NICEIC accessor was not impressed that I had not registered my work before hand. And it took a lot of effort to get things sorted because Southend council are so unorganised.
Only managed to get things sorted through the good will and help from the staff at the Niceic who I can't praise enough.

Reply to URGENT; building notice for major works(new circuit).Can I advise council late? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net