Discuss Are PV panels cost effective to instal & run? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AJ16

-
DIY
Reaction score
ok I design house extensions, one of my clients just fitted 16 PV panels to their south facing roof in Somerset. Today at 2pm blazing sun, the elec meter seemed static. She turned the elec immersion heater on and the meter started moving forwards reasonably quickly, she turned it off and the meter stopped then seemed to quickly stop & jump backwards only hardly moving though. I'm assuming that the immersion was 2Kw so by my simple thinking the PV input was a lot below 2Kw.
Does that sound right because if so the output must be a lot lower through the winter months when it's really needed?
Bearing in mind that I've heard it's roughly £1000 per panel to instal I'm wondering if there is some hype around about performance?

AJ

Does that sound right because if so the output must be a lot lower through the winter months when it's really needed?

Sounds as though you're missing the point on PV, which I find with several inquirers. The National Grid (or rather its power stations) generates electricity mechanically, which is then available on demand. PV generates electricity from light, so it depends on the amount and intensity of the light available as to how much electricity it generates. So it's not available on demand.

The practicalities of renewables are different from those of power stations. Different renewables work in different ways at different times - put several of them together and you will a full-time supply to meet demand. Lacks the simplicity of the power station, but also lacks the single point of failure, ie fossil fuel.

PJ

I think it is reasonable to assume that whatever renewable source is chosen, or combination of, that in my life time, my children's lifetime and possibly my grandchildren's lifetime it will never be able to completely provide the energy needs of the UK or any other nation for that fact.

I just think that instead of governments paying lip service to something that is not going to give us what we need, they should be investing in nuclear energy and how we can educate people that today it is not the toxic killer it is portrayed to be, and efficient disposal of waste.

I just think that instead of governments paying lip service to something that is not going to give us what we need, they should be investing in nuclear energy and how we can educate people that today it is not the toxic killer it is portrayed to be, and efficient disposal of waste.

I totally agree that nuclear energy is the way forward but I actually think that the likes of PV and Wind Farms can help at the micro level.

Just because something isn't a complete answer doesn't mean ignore it altogether. The next generation of nuclears are at least ten years away, and that's if we start building now. At some point the oil and gas powering the present power stations is going to decrease. Not run out - before then it will gradually become more scarce and more expensive, and those who've got it will be more reluctant to sell it to those who haven't. So the power won't just suddenly stop, but we'll get rationing, brownouts, power-off days and switching of supplies to industry at the expense of domestic. Anything that eases the load or offers some alternative is a step in the right direction.

PJ

Last edited by a moderator:
As some of these PV panels have been up and running for a couple of years now, I just wondered if anybody has got any performance figures on live set ups which would help those of us who are trying to weigh it all up independently of the claims made by installers?

Performance figures are only relevant if compared to the predicted output. Some installers do give inflated predictions but all of our installs have exceeded our predictions.

Reply to Are PV panels cost effective to instal & run? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock