Discuss DIY Installation Help - I'm looking to install 2x 5ft LED batten lights (45w) along with a wall switch and 2x double wall sockets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RCX2020

DIY
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Just bought a house with a remote garage, said garage has no power or lighting.

I'm hoping to use the garage as a gym and some storage so I'm looking to install 2x 5ft LED batten lights (45w) along with a wall switch and 2x double wall sockets.

Found this off-grid solar kit and after speaking to the company about my usage they said this kit should be perfect. 600W, 12V, 0.57kWh Deluxe Off-Grid Solar Kit - Sunstore Solar - https://www.sunstore.co.uk/product/600w-12v-0-57kwh-deluxe-off-grid-solar-kit/

What I need help with is everything else I'd need to get the job done, and if anyone can help, maybe a wiring diagram for the load where it connects to the inverter/solar controller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rich

I would like to assume that it would come with installation instructions and a list of any additional installation materials required.

I would like to assume that it would come with installation instructions and a list of any additional installation materials required.

Hi Strima,

Yea I'd imagine it has all the installation requirements listed to install. But I doubt very much it will give me a list of items required to split the wiring etc. in order to install the sockets and overhead lights?

Do I need an RDC, junction boxes, any particular wire I should try use?

if you're spending ÂŁ1200+ on that gear, surely it's not unreasonable to pay an electrician a fe hundred to install it and associated equipment.

if you're spending ÂŁ1200+ on that gear, surely it's not unreasonable to pay an electrician a fe hundred to install it and associated equipment.

I have looked into, struggling to find an electrician in my area that can install solar. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but tried 3 places locally, and none of them are interested.

is wiltshire any where near Bath? couple of members there.

I have looked into, struggling to find an electrician in my area that can install solar. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but tried 3 places locally, and none of them are interested.

Have you told them it's just a basic kit, rather than a fully installed system? Any electrician should be able to install that.

How remote is the garage? It might be more cost effective and reliable to get a supply from the house and give you more flexibility in what electrical equipment you can use in the garage.

Out of interest, what will you be plugging into the 2 double sockets?

As I'll be using the garage as a gym: a fan, a treadmill, an exercise bike, ipod dock.

The bike & treadmill will only in use for a max of an hour per day. Fan will only be on in summer months for a max of 2 hours per day. ipod dock will be on for around 2 hours per day maximum.

Then just overhead lights on whilst in the garage, but obviously not through the sockets.

As I'll be using the garage as a gym: a fan, a treadmill, an exercise bike, ipod dock.

The bike & treadmill will only in use for a max of an hour per day. Fan will only be on in summer months for a max of 2 hours per day. ipod dock will be on for around 2 hours per day maximum.

Then just overhead lights on whilst in the garage, but obviously not through the sockets.

So no heater during winter then?

I'd have to cross my neighbours land unfotunately, so cost & permission wise it would be too much hassle

That does makes things more awkward. I think I'd be worried that the limitations a small solar set up would impose would become frustrating though. You may not be able to use the gym when you want to in the winter or on a cloudy morning or evening in the summer. As Spoon says, you may find yourself needing a heater in the depths of winter.

That does makes things more awkward. I think I'd be worried that the limitations a small solar set up would impose would become frustrating though. You may not be able to use the gym when you want to in the winter or on a cloudy morning or evening in the summer. As Spoon says, you may find yourself needing a heater in the depths of winter.
Get a cheap calor gas one ? Would be far easier than using the power. And of course the winter months will give very little solar anyway...

Really roughly drawn and definitely not to scale!

But this is the plan I have for installation so far.. Do I need to put an RCD in anywhere or have I gone wrong anywhere?

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

1592398973078.png

Probably not as get too hot, but if I did then it would be one of those tiny little floor ones, and would prob only be on for 10-15 minutes a day.

The physical size of the heater doesn't dictate its power rating, if your solar system is rated at 600W then your heater will need a power rating of less than this.

Do you have the power rating of the treadmill and exercise bike?
[automerge]1592900323[/automerge]
Really roughly drawn and definitely not to scale!

But this is the plan I have for installation so far.. Do I need to put an RCD in anywhere or have I gone wrong anywhere?

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 58902

Assuming the output of the inverter is properly protected for overload and short circuit then there would be no point installing addition fuse or mcb protection.

An RCD will only work if one pole of the output of the inverter is connected to earth permanently and reliably. In my opinion for such a small inverter it would be safe enough, if the installation is designed suitably, not to do this and keep it as an electrically seperate system.

Reply to DIY Installation Help - I'm looking to install 2x 5ft LED batten lights (45w) along with a wall switch and 2x double wall sockets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net