Discuss Fuse box fire with photos in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

I switched it off after taking these initial photos, believe it or not, the client had removed the front and switch the isolator off. I switched this off after i took the photos and also locked the isolator off and put a warning sign on it. I didn't get the job to fix it as they wanted it doing there and then and it was 4:30pm and I said I can do Friday, so day after next, and they didn't want that so not much I could offer really. I don't know about you but I personally wouldn't take on changing a board that late in the day when the light was starting to go. Not only that I needed my big steps to reach the high ceiling which I had not got with me.

Sensible lad.

That would have ended-up as a real ballache. Far better to start it in the daytime.

ooh what a palaver, surely putting all the neutrals into a bit of chocky and feeding them into the bottom of the isolator would have done the trick, just get them to pay cash and everyones laughing. more beer moneyon a Friday.
I reckon the neutral gets it because of the flow of current is actually from the neutral back to the live and if I scratch my head a bit more I seem to remember something about conventional flow being the reverse of what we all think it is. although I just know that the black one has just as much bite as the red one. luckily have never grabbed a blue one as older and possibly wiser.

Can't see why the direction of current would affect things. Daz

if I scratch my head a bit more I seem to remember something about conventional flow being the reverse of what we all think it is.

I think your head scratching related to DC theory. In the early days of electronics it was assumed that DC current flowed from positive to negative. Later they discovered that it flows from negative to positive. If electrons had been discovered earlier they would have found their error. Or not.
Anyways, Franklin's first guess was wrong and its the other way to his first guess. But who cares, so long as I get a good charge out of my iPhone batteries.:rockon:

Although this may sound ludicrous, maybe neutrals are often left not necessarily looser but maybe more neglected as some people, maybe diyers, Electrical Trainee or whatever, they may think the live is the important one, better make sure it's tight and do that and don't give do much thought to the neutral. Personally I check and check again with my overpriced torque screwdriver all terminals even ones I've not touched to ensure they are correctly tightened up.

Reply to Fuse box fire with photos in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net