Discuss Its only ten minutes, burn out socket to change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As title, call out to change a burnt out socket.
Notes_210315_185046_80c.jpg

The why? was over use of fan heaters.

Quick Zs gave 1.26, something amiss.

Did an Auto RCD test to locate source of circuit in this well labelled and populated board.
Notes_210315_185100_c97.jpg

Found RCD to be a stand alone 61009

Notes_210315_185141_7dd.png

Notes_210315_185134_99e.jpg

Now it starts to get interesting, took the cover off the RCD to find it fed in 10mm2 T&E and outgoing was the 2x2.5mm2 for the ring.

Well I say 2x as in reality there was one Neutral of one leg and one Line of the other leg as one of each had dropped out, the CPCs were sound in a chock block.

End to end gave an expected Zs of 0.66.

Managed to get it all terminated and...

Notes_210315_185150_9d2.jpg

Close enough...or is it?
Had a scoot round under the desk and found..
Notes_210315_185116_506.jpg

The beginning of 5 double sockets spurred off the ring of which mine was number 4.

So, the "ten minute job" turns into....

1, damaged socket.....fixed.
2, broken ring... sorted.
3, over use of heaters damaging sockets.
4, 5 DSOs on an unfused spur.
5, over use of multiplugs.
6, MCB mix and match.

Then to top it off the OPCD feeding the the 61009 is a C32, max Zs 0.58.

I don't get it, you can still get Loadstar RCBOs......Why has this been done?

As title, call out to change a burnt out socket.
View attachment 65654

The why? was over use of fan heaters.

Quick Zs gave 1.26, something amiss.

Did an Auto RCD test to locate source of circuit in this well labelled and populated board.
View attachment 65655

Found RCD to be a stand alone 61009

View attachment 65656
View attachment 65657

Now it starts to get interesting, took the cover off the RCD to find it fed in 10mm2 T&E and outgoing was the 2x2.5mm2 for the ring.

Well I say 2x as in reality there was one Neutral of one leg and one Line of the other leg as one of each had dropped out, the CPCs were sound in a chock block.

End to end gave an expected Zs of 0.66.

Managed to get it all terminated and...

View attachment 65658

Close enough...or is it?
Had a scoot round under the desk and found..
View attachment 65659

The beginning of 5 double sockets spurred off the ring of which mine was number 4.

So, the "ten minute job" turns into....

1, damaged socket.....fixed.
2, broken ring... sorted.
3, over use of heaters damaging sockets.
4, 5 DSOs on an unfused spur.
5, over use of multiplugs.
6, MCB mix and match.

Then to top it off the OPCD feeding the the 61009 is a C32, max Zs 0.58.

I don't get it, you can still get Loadstar RCBOs......Why has this been done?
we feel for you,

customers opinion
was working fine till we had that little problem, why has he gone to town and told us we need all this work doing?
my god why has it taken half a day to fix one broken socket?
I've seen something like this on rouge traders, they are all out to fleece me.

Your professional opinion
Wow, with that much load on the ring i am not surprised you have been having problems
oh dear, it is worse than expected has been wired up by a muppet, got to sort that before i go any further.
it is by sheer good fortune that this mess is not on fire, really what the "F" am I supposed to do here?
ok, thankfully I have managed to some improvements and make stuff work again, what I have done is at least as safe as it can be.
I will send a report and quote to them detailing everything that needs doing urgently.
Why do I bother, I am giving this one about a 1 in a hundred odds of coming back to me!!!

Reply to Its only ten minutes, burn out socket to change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net