Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss JIB grading in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daiplayer

Hiya all

im sorry for posting this as i know its been done to death....
but could somebody shed some light onto what i may be graded as ? ( JIB)

Quals are -

• City and guilds 2330 - lvl2
  • City and guilds 2330-lvl3
  • C&G 2382 - 17TH edition regs
  • C&G 2391-10 - Inspection and testing
  • NAPIT fully approved

Thanks in advance .

sorry all....just spoke to ecs , but if anybody is interested

- not directly employed = electrical labourer's card
-directly employed = electrical trainee
- NVQ Lv3 = electrical instllation electricain ( gold card )

Last edited by a moderator:
I might also be correct in stating that once you have a JIB grade you have it for life ie out of the trade a few years contact the JIB and get your previous grade card issued.

Dont mention NAPIT, you'll just get a labourers card. lol.

Seriously though.
When doing commercial work.
Facilities managers have wised up a lot.
They are more likely to ask to see a gold approved electrician card than be interested in if your company is registered with NICEIC or anything else.
Also your public liability insurance, and H&S policy, is on there list.
Although we are NIC registered it seems that being with a scheme provider is not that high on there list of priorities.
It doesnt stop a young lad turning up to complete a job.
Your JIB card is therefore Gold in more ways than one.
We have found this on to many occasions to be concidence, so go get one.

Joe public, wont have a clue though.

I might also be correct in stating that once you have a JIB grade you have it for life ie out of the trade a few years contact the JIB and get your previous grade card issued.

Mine expired in 2009 and they still have everything on record, I've just got to pay for a re issue. Though now I'm going for the approved level and contracts managers card. If you are self employed and registered with a scheme they put the branding of the NICEIC for example on the card to show you are a qualified superviser.

So help me out here, if some with NICEIC qualified supervisor status applies to the JIB they'd probably get the grade of electrician with a qualified supervisor stamped on the card. If so does that work the other way for example would someone with a JIB Technician's grade get a qualified supervisor's rating if they decided to become self employed and join one of the scams ????
Mine expired in 2009 and they still have everything on record, I've just got to pay for a re issue. Though now I'm going for the approved level and contracts managers card. If you are self employed and registered with a scheme they put the branding of the NICEIC for example on the card to show you are a qualified supervisor.

To have obtained the JIB tech card and the grading in the first place you would of had to have the correct quals which would have been checked by the JIB, so to apply to one of the schemes would just be a case of submitting those same quals again, they need to see them regardless. An NICEIC QS would still need to show proof of his Quals to the JIB if applying for his first gold card.

Makes me laugh that those with as far as I can see the superior JIB card electrician, approved or indeed technician as opposed to these scam registrations cannot work in the domestic environment, doesn't make sense at all.

It's very worrying to think as you've said £500 + 17th and join a scam (even though the JIB would only give a labourers card at the best an electricians) work in people's homes etc JIB graded sparks work on single phase, three phase and a multitude of other types of installations and not even allowed to work in a house. Makes no sense at all.
dont forget kas1, if youve got £500 and 17th you can do what you want!

It's very worrying to think as you've said £500 + 17th and join a scam (even though the JIB would only give a labourers card at the best an electricians) work in people's homes etc JIB graded sparks work on single phase, three phase and a multitude of other types of installations and not even allowed to work in a house. Makes no sense at all.

scary isnt it. i know who id rather have doing a domestic install. hopefully one day someone in the powers that be will have a brainwave and see the issue here.

back to the op, nvq3 for gold card nothing less these days im afraid, however you may have missed the boat for that as its changed and the new qual now incoparated with a mandotory AM2 as well.

I was issued with a red SJIB electricians card then got my green Approved card 2 years later always kept it updated and now it a gold holographic card with recognised apprenticship on it and flash it at every customer I can

Yeah I always keep mine up to date ,I think they're all the same colour now, mines gold Installation Technician and like you holographic card with recognised apprenticeship I wonder what the percentage there is that has apprenticeship mentioned on them? >
I was issued with a red SJIB electricians card then got my green Approved card 2 years later always kept it updated and now it a gold holographic card with recognised apprenticship on it and flash it at every customer I can

I have all the same quals as the op, but jib graded me as a level 2 trainee. Never bothered to get it upgraded and I like to give people's laugh when they ask if I have a jib card hahahahaha

I seen on their site a few days ago you need your AM2 aswell?

Edit: apologies, it says if you DONT have your NVQ, they would consider you if you had your AM2 and another thing.

Here it is from the horses mouth;

[h=2]1.2 Approved Electrician[/h]Qualification and Training
Must satisfy the following four conditions:
(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.
(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - See Note 1.
(3) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.
(4) Must have demonstrated competence and obtained a suitable qualification (the City & Guilds 2391 or the EAL Level 3 Diploma in Inspecting and Testing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipement (500/3542/3) are suitable qualifications) in the inspection, testing and commissioning of installations - see Note 2.
Note 1: If the applicant meets the other three criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:
(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5 (Or approved equivelent).
(b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.

that's great biff; glad to hear it. you can't really fail now - if there's any discrepancies with your project, you should get the opportunity to correct them before it gets sent off to city and guilds. well done mate.

i hear what you're saying about the course. my time in the classroom was spent going over old 2391-20 papers. it just seems like you're being taught how to pass an exam, rather than learning the subject matter.

Any one have the platinum card ???
Not an easy one to get but once got you just have to hold on to it.
Up stages the card flasher types out there. Dont use it for much else though.
Trouble is once you go down that road your into shower room comparison land lol.

Any one have the platinum card ???
Not an easy one to get but once got you just have to hold on to it.
Up stages the card flasher types out there. Dont use it for much else though.
Trouble is once you go down that road your into shower room comparison land lol.

Ha ha I flash mine because people round here get cards stuck in their face and expect to see some sort of ID plus when I do a EICR I have to attach a coy of it front and back as well as my MFT calibration cert unlike of a job I heard about where a guy was using his mates Scheme registration and there was no question asked as there was a Scheme number at the top of the cert only thing is he was not qualified ,insured,and the tester had no calibration funny old world indeed lol.

Also you need to flash it as I find the sparks who do the bathrooms seam to be putting the word out that they are 100% qualified then the customer asked to see his SJIB card and he promised he would bring it in but next day said he could not find it mmmmmmmmmmm customer was not pleased still he got a cert with a number at the top

Thing is OT. You work hard to get to the top of your profession.
Then look back at your working life, and the experience you've gained over the years.
Only to see a trade filled with quick fix schemes and desperate blokes willing to part with there redundancy cash to become so called qualified electricians to earn a quick buck.
Granted it happens more within the domestic side where its easier for these guys to get away with it on basic electrical knowledge.
But you have to feel for the general public, who can often be fooled into thinking they have a proffessional in there home.
The JIB scheme seems to be the only one thats not prepared to tolerate un-qualified trades people. And I say good for them.
Of course within the commercial world of customers. The people requiring competant skilled electricians often ask to see these cards. And thats where the blokes who take advantage of the domestic work fall flat on there face. They simply dont have the knowledge to tackle commercial electrics, its way out of there league.
But as said its the domestic stuff thats a complete joke from what I see these days.
And unlike JIB. The scheme providers are far more generous at handing out the bits of paper for quick cash.
For that reason I will always back the gold card guys, because they have proved there worth in the field.
Those that moan about how hard it may be to get there preffered card of choice need to sit back and say I will get it when I can actually prove I deserve it.

Thing is OT. You work hard to get to the top of your profession.
Then look back at your working life, and the experience you've gained over the years.
Only to see a trade filled with quick fix schemes and desperate blokes willing to part with there redundancy cash to become so called qualified electricians to earn a quick buck.
Granted it happens more within the domestic side where its easier for these guys to get away with it on basic electrical knowledge.

But you have to feel for the general public, who can often be fooled into thinking they have a proffessional in there home.
The JIB scheme seems to be the only one thats not prepared to tolerate un-qualified trades people. And I say good for them.
Of course within the commercial world of customers. The people requiring competant skilled electricians often ask to see these cards. And thats where the blokes who take advantage of the domestic work fall flat on there face. They simply dont have the knowledge to tackle commercial electrics, its way out of there league.
But as said its the domestic stuff thats a complete joke from what I see these days.
And unlike JIB. The scheme providers are far more generous at handing out the bits of paper for quick cash.
For that reason I will always back the gold card guys, because they have proved there worth in the field.
Those that moan about how hard it may be to get there preffered card of choice need to sit back and say I will get it when I can actually prove I deserve it.

Well I agree with with you but then again from some viewpoints I would wouldnt I but especially on this site I do get frustrated at what I call the google minded mentality ie why learn it just ask how to do it on the night before or in other words why bark when you have a dog. Now I am 54 I was brought up in a council scheme in Edinburgh most of my peer group thought with their dicks rather than their heads my first year wage was £14 a week my peers were getting £25 a week working in a supermarket but I was lucky to have parents who said sit tight son it will come good and boy were they right then Thatcher hit me and I said I need more skills to stay earning and thats where Darwins theory kicks in I started with 9 other guys and 6 made it to time served with one going further me. And yep our trade is in a mess where we are at saturation stage and the Schemes are brainwashing guys out of £6000 to live the dream. Now I dont have a problem with a guy or a girl wanting to better themselves but get this I just will not tolerate sloppy or unprofessional attitudes towards the work in hand or towards the customer. Yep joking apart with me flashing the card but I do this when some clown tries to put me down because OT you must be a cowboy cos you aint registered or Part P O yea well I live in Scotland so no Part P as for being scheme registered I do small electrical repairs no rewires ,kitchens etc because I am in what I call a niche market and dont need to pay some clown £800 for a system that does not work is not enforceable and to top it off cannot be as it goes against the European Free Trade Act. Sadly its not my age here when I say standards have dropped across the board because of one word LAZY I have never seen so much people who try to make money for little or no effort so is it hard to run a business not if you are professional if not then our friend Darwin kicks in

I would employ an electrician with a JIB or SJIB card over them stupid scheme routes anytime, one thing I know is that my JIB card has more weight behind it than if I was registered to any scheme. Reading on her there seem to be many people who can get with a scheme as an electrician but do not meet the requirements for the JIB or SJIB so that in its self speaks volumes. Then when these people can't get the grade card they'd like they all seem to slag the JIB off, well the JIB has it's faults but since it's introduction it's the best we've got. I've been a member for more years than I care to remember and I've yet to see a better system for contracting sparks, so the sooner the scams are replaced with maybe another section of the JIB the better.

Well I agree with with you but then again from some viewpoints I would wouldnt I but especially on this site I do get frustrated at what I call the google minded mentality ie why learn it just ask how to do it on the night before or in other words why bark when you have a dog. Now I am 54 I was brought up in a council scheme in Edinburgh most of my peer group thought with their dicks rather than their heads my first year wage was £14 a week my peers were getting £25 a week working in a supermarket but I was lucky to have parents who said sit tight son it will come good and boy were they right then Thatcher hit me and I said I need more skills to stay earning and thats where Darwins theory kicks in I started with 9 other guys and 6 made it to time served with one going further me. And yep our trade is in a mess where we are at saturation stage and the Schemes are brainwashing guys out of £6000 to live the dream. Now I dont have a problem with a guy or a girl wanting to better themselves but get this I just will not tolerate sloppy or unprofessional attitudes towards the work in hand or towards the customer. Yep joking apart with me flashing the card but I do this when some clown tries to put me down because OT you must be a cowboy cos you aint registered or Part P O yea well I live in Scotland so no Part P as for being scheme registered I do small electrical repairs no rewires ,kitchens etc because I am in what I call a niche market and dont need to pay some clown £800 for a system that does not work is not enforceable and to top it off cannot be as it goes against the European Free Trade Act. Sadly its not my age here when I say standards have dropped across the board because of one word LAZY I have never seen so much people who try to make money for little or no effort so is it hard to run a business not if you are professional if not then our friend Darwin kicks in
A while since I posted but I had to just take a moment to say HERE HERE !!!

A while since I posted but I had to just take a moment to say HERE HERE !!!

Thanks but me thinks I will retreat from this forum for a spell as it seems to be a free for all its not that we are maintaining standards I think sometimes we contribute to the mess we call our trade

People on a forum are never going to be the ones to uphold or indeed raise the standard of work out there mate. The same stuff seems to be happening in other trades too. A lot of bodies out their with their grubby hands out saying I will give you a piece of paper for £xxxxx and I will put the work certificate on it for another £xxxx and finally I will give you a nice shiny new card with your picture on it if you re-mortgage and send us the balance by BACS transfer lol. BUT these types then moan like heck when an old fashioned JIB card is in the land of the unobtainable. Good for you for sticking by your principals mate.

Reply to JIB grading in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net