Discuss Meter tails over 3 metres??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good morning

Looking for some advice on a domestic job. The consumer unit is being moved from kitchen to cupboard in hallway. The meter is staying in same place but the distance between meter and board is around 7 metres. I have been advised to fit a 100amp isolator at meter and run tails from meter to isolator and then from bottom of isolator to consumer unit to run a 25mm split concentric. Would this be suitable??

Mnay

Above 3m, meter tails should normally fused, as the DNO don't let you rely on their fuse above this distance. So you would be fitting a switch fuse, not just an isolator.

Then you can use 25mm2 armoured cable from the switch fuse to the consumer unit. Since both are going to be metal, you can easily gland the SWA at each end.

Above 3m, meter tails should normally fused, as the DNO don't let you rely on their fuse above this distance. So you would be fitting a switch fuse, not just an isolator.

Then you can use 25mm2 armoured cable from the switch fuse to the consumer unit. Since both are going to be metal, you can easily gland the SWA at each end.

Thanks SJD. I thought id have to protect it with my own fuse inwas just want to doible check. Thanks for the rrsponse.

As above you need to fit a fuse switch, but do some calculations, if it is a small house you may get away with a 16mm submain fused at 60A.
Also swa is better than split concentric as it is surrounded with earthed metal and needs no further protection, split concentric is only half surrounded so will need protection and/or a RCD.

But your a qualified electrical engineer and and an Approved electrician? I really dont get why you are asking this question with such qualifications and not understanding selectivity?
Its not something ive had to do before richy3333. The whole point of this forum is to help and discuss. I thought the correct way to do it was the way which has been stated above but i doubted myself when i was told to use an isolator. Hence why i came on here to get some reassurance. As this is a forum and advice is given.

Home Page - https://www.cesscotland.com Is this you or are you the one near Glasgow?
[automerge]1580051664[/automerge]
Its not something ive had to do before richy3333. The whole point of this forum is to help and discuss. I thought the correct way to do it was the way which has been stated above but i doubted myself when i was told to use an isolator. Hence why i came on here to get some reassurance. As this is a forum and advice is given.
I just dont get the basic question for somebody so qualified and with such experience (on the basis you are one of those companies linked to)? My second year apprentice could have answered your question, that all. Sorry.

Home Page - https://www.cesscotland.com Is this you or are you the one near Glasgow?

I just dont get the basic question for somebody so qualified and with such experience (on the basis you are one of those companies linked to)? My second year apprentice could have answered your question, that all. Sorry.
No the above isnt me. Like i say

No the above isnt me

I have recently started self employed and it was something i have not come across before so wanted clarification on it.

Reply to Meter tails over 3 metres??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock