Discuss Process for certifying work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Got a job for a friend in motion. Consumer unit change. Bonding is good and system had been tested so I'm confident no problems will occur with the introduction of RCD protection.

My question is, what's the process in getting the work certified. I'm qualified but not registered with a scheme of sorts.

Is it just a case of contacting building control and telling them of the proposed work and then laying a fee?

the building control fee round here is £300. if notin a scheme you're stuffed. pm sent.

Hi,before the help starts flowing....can i ask,what is a "friend in motion"? ;)

Not that kinda friend unfortunately ?
[automerge]1575702877[/automerge]
The schemes have really out the brakes on doing notifiable work without them. I know they are generally a good idea but the cost of notifying work to building control without them is just a con.

Last edited:
The schemes have really out the brakes on doing notifiable work without them. I know they are generally a good idea but the cost of notifying work to building control without them is just a con.

I recommend using a 3rd party certifier rather than building control, it'll almost certainly be cheaper. I would expect that when you go through BC, they probably just contract it out to a 3rd party certifier anyway, rather than having someone in-house that does it.

Have a read of my posts in this thread, which explains more:

It all depends on the local council as their fees vary massively.

Also depends on what qualifications you have too. If you’re up to date on the regs and have an inspection and testing qualification, they may well be happy for you to certify it and send it in to them.

I have found a 3rd party scheme near me who will notify for local trades for £40

Much cheaper than having to go through the council

I’m pretty sure that 3rd party notifications can only issue you with an EICR and not an EIC so you’d have to check that LABC are happy with that for the work too.

I have found a 3rd party scheme near me who will notify for local trades for £40

''You do it, I'll notify. Give us 40 quid, nudge nudge, wink wink, and we'll call it a deal''.....cushty!
I wonder if they even visit the site?

I’m pretty sure that 3rd party notifications can only issue you with an EICR and not an EIC so you’d have to check that LABC are happy with that for the work too.
Not so, a 3rd party certifier will notify through their scheme (either NAPIT or STROMA). Building control will have no more to do with it than they would if the certifier was notifying their own work through their scheme, ie nothing.
[automerge]1575737197[/automerge]

That's about what I pay for small notifiable works, more for say a consumer unit change.

Last edited:
3rd party certifiers are rip offs, I contacted one in my area (Surrey) and he quoted; first fix visit £250, 2nd fix visit £250 and £40 to test every circuit, minimum charge of 10 circuits, total £900 min, plus VAT, it’s actually cheaper to pay the LBC fee. Said I can test all the circuits, NO, he has to test them if he is signing the EIC. :mad::mad::mad:

3rd party certifiers are rip offs, I contacted one in my area (Surrey) and he quoted; first fix visit £250, 2nd fix visit £250 and £40 to test every circuit, minimum charge of 10 circuits, total £900 min, plus VAT, it’s actually cheaper to pay the LBC fee. Said I can test all the circuits, NO, he has to test them if he is signing the EIC. :mad::mad::mad:

900 quid is a joke

Last time I checked Surrey BC charge £280

Ring around some more local 3rd party people and you will normally find they charge between £40-£200 in my area

Sounds fair enough to me with the £250 site visits.

Reply to Process for certifying work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock