Discuss Running T&E in conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OSG and BRB state 45% space occupancy for heat discipation for single core cable which I agree with
How about if your singles fill more than 45% because the conduit is small.
The singles are for the same circuit.
Would you use correction factors or would you have to dig out the conduit and start again?

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. If I use the correct factors that will give me the minimum size of trunking and then i will probably go up a size. Happy to be corrected the idea is that if I use twin and earth in conduit when they redecorate the wire will be in the right zones with enough slack. Albeit it will look horrible until then. Let me know what you think and if theres a better way of doing the job. Cheers

This 45% rule, how many people really stick to it.
The last re-wire I did with my boss we used 20mm oval in the walls from the floor above down to the light switches below.
My boss put three 1.5 Tand E lighting cables in the oval. Also he used 20 mm oval for the drops to the sockets and put two 2.5 T and E in it.
I have worked with other sparks who use capping and put two cables in the capping hence filling the capping right up.
The trunking coming down to the main fuseboard is four by two usually filled to more than 45%.
So is everything I have seen my boss and this other sparks doing wrong so far?
Cheers.

Last edited:
In my experience the number of cables that go in any kind of containment is governed by how many cables you can cram in there.
Of course it's easier if you don't overfill, but the reality is many people guess rather than reach for the book.

Hi Guys,

I've been asked to do a surface mounted ring mains in a residential property, is it normal practice to leave the wires loose in the conduit or would you tie wrap them together or use something else? Thanks in advance from a newbee
DIY Forum?

is it normal practice to leave the wires loose in the conduit or would you tie wrap them together
thud.gifT&Es, serious?

Reply to Running T&E in conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net