Discuss Switched FCU in a bathroom? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just had some refurbishment work done in my property and unfortunately the builders have run off. As a result the local building control department have had an eicr carried out and one of the points raised was the builders extended the ring straight into a shaver socket then onto a tooth brush holder then onto an illuminated mirror in my bathroom.

They have advised there is no fcu or point of isolation, my new electrician has said we could convert the shaver socket into a switched fcu, is this permissable? It would be outside the zones???

It just doesn't seem right to me, but I completely agree with him it would seem the option with the least disruption.

Many thanks in advance,

Martin

Sounds like a multiple outlet spur. Strictly speaking anything connected from a ring final circuit should comply to BS1363 which none of yours do. More importantly though it is a multiple outlet spur which requires a suitable means of protection by way of a BS1363 fuse connection unit. It is possible this is in place but cannot be found.

Sounds like a multiple outlet spur. Strictly speaking anything connected from a ring final circuit should comply to BS1363 which none of yours do. More importantly though it is a multiple outlet spur which requires a suitable means of protection by way of a BS1363 fuse connection unit. It is possible this is in place but cannot be found.

Thanks for doing such a comprehensive reply!

Assuming it is not present as it's a fairly small house, are they able to convert the shaver socket to a switched fcu?

Hi - a switched FCU may be installed if it’s outside zones 0, 1 and 2 (from Reg 701.512.3, if I’m reading it right). Personally I’d try harder to find another way to feed these accessories rather than give up my shaver spot. If the wall it’s on is internal you could look at putting the FCU on the other side and come back into the bathroom to feed them, if that makes any sense.

If the wall it’s on is internal you could look at putting the FCU on the other side and come back into the bathroom to feed them, if that makes any sense.

If not internal then alongside the shaver socket so as not to lose the shaver socket.

are they able to convert the shaver socket to a switched fcu?
Doesn't need to be switched, just fused as Wilko indicated (FCU), but all needs to be RCD protected, assuming it is as not mentioned on EICR?

Reply to Switched FCU in a bathroom? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock