Discuss Use a loudspeaker as a horn in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. Now that I've got you concerned/intrigued:

I found this exact loudspeaker some time ago : ALS1000 D Soundstar - https://www.fedsigvama.com/en/product/soundstar-als1000/, and I've been wanting to do something with it ever since… more of an experiment really. That being said, I don't know much about anything.

I would like to use it as a alternate horn on a motorcycle. I suppose for that I would need a way to convert my motorcycle's 12V DC to oscillate at a frequency that's around 400/500 Hz… at first I thought something like this (link to the Amazon product) could do the trick, then I realised it operates at a frequency of 12KHz… which clearly won't work!

Do you guys have any idea how I could achieve this?

Thanks for your time :D
Robert

TL;DR
It's a stupid idea, but that's why I like it!
Yeah the motor speed controller is not the way to go. To be honest by the time you've found something suitable and made it suitable for the harsh environment of a motorbike you would be better off just buying a loud bike horn.

Yeah the motor speed controller is not the way to go. To be honest by the time you've found something suitable and made it suitable for the harsh environment of a motorbike you would be better off just buying a loud bike horn.
See that's progress! I know that I know nothing

Yeah it's not really about loudness, or about the horn to be honest, I've got a perfectly adequate horn on my bike. It's about finding a way… I find that appealing!
What got me thinking is that this product is origianlly a loudspeaker intended for emergency vehicles, and I thought if they can make it do all these sirens and sounds surely it would be somewhat easy to have it make a tone at the push of a button 🤔. Then again, I know nothing!

I love your bike by the way DPG

See that's progress! I know that I know nothing

Yeah it's not really about loudness, or about the horn to be honest, I've got a perfectly adequate horn on my bike. It's about finding a way… I find that appealing!
What got me thinking is that this product is origianlly a loudspeaker intended for emergency vehicles, and I thought if they can make it do all these sirens and sounds surely it would be somewhat easy to have it make a tone at the push of a button 🤔. Then again, I know nothing!

I love your bike by the way DPG

You could definitely do it with a suitable oscillator and power amplifier. I'd be tempted to do a Google search for siren circuits to be honest though.

Great ideas. I love the fire alarm one, who would have thought I would have so much fun on an electricians forum!

I found a few diagrams online, but that's where I get lost. Those circuits are like black boxes to me : I understand what gets in, I understand what gets out, how they do their things remains a mistery.

I like the idea of an oscillator and power amplifier though, I'll look into that next

Reply to Use a loudspeaker as a horn in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net