Discuss Voltage recorded when switch is off? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

abnjim6

I am installing ceiling fan and when the ceiling wires (two) are tested for the presence of AC voltage and the wall switch is OFF, I read 50 VAC. When switched on the VAC reading is 117 VAC.

I am using a T5-600 Fluke multi-tester in the "V" position.

Should I continue with this installation and risk a shock?

Why does this tester read 50 VAC when the wall switch is in the OFF position?

Thank you.

James

Should I continue with this installation and risk a shock?

There is a pretty obvious solution to this one. However, if you are not sure whether or not you should continue then I suggest that you don't.
You will put yourself at risk if you have not had the necessary experience in dealing with electrics.

You have been warned......

safe isolation is where clowns like you never pick up tools and risk the lives of innocent people trusting your skills.

if the voltages are as you stated, there is a problem which needs sorting by a qualified electrician. if we gave you ( as a non-electrician) advice which resulted in you being electrocuted, we would be at fault. call in an electrician.

Abnjim6, take no notice of these people, the true cause of your problem is the pixies at your local electrical makers, pouring too much of that electricery stuff into your cables.
i would get in touch with them and demand they stop

Emm I take it you are in the US if this is the case your 117v is fine your 50v is induced ac pick up because you are using a multimeter but if you used a voltage tester nothing would register

Hop I am right about US or it egg on ones face lol

Flukesor multimeters are ok only problem is they pick up any induced ac voltage and then makes it look real I use my led voltage tester on non RCD installations and the fluke on RCD installation comes in handy when you are testing L-E

my LED tester don't trip RCDs. it's a fluke T3. had it for donkeys.

safe isolation is where clowns like you never pick up tools and risk the lives of innocent people trusting your skills.

I rent and live alone and the landlord was notified about this matter, yet told me to go ahead and wire the fan.

But the reason that a closed 120 VAC switch would allow 50 VAC to flow through it baffles me.

I will halt any further work with the fan install.

And if you can find "innocent people" in this world (adult?), let me know. Guilt is rampant and we are all part of a larger conspiracy :wink5:

Thanks for your output.

And if you can find "innocent people" in this world (adult?), let me know. Guilt is rampant and we are all part of a larger conspiracy :wink5:

Guilt is an experience for those who are alive. If you fiddle around with electricity 'blind folded' then you'll never know the 'wonderful' experience that Guilt can provide !

Unfortunately, I live in the US.

In 2000 I toured England and Wales on a bike. Loved the people and the country! But I had a Grandmother from Cardiff, and traveled there to see that town.

Loved the pastry!

Thanks

Yep I thought so although it would have helped as I said switch on 120vac switched off 50v induced pick up ac if you have halogen lamps you can switch them off and see if this changes if you are still unsure switch the circuit breaker off.

Yep been to Florida a few times (Blackpool of the US) but like old Blighty

Well said, Sir. I will ask the landlord (who had recent heart surgery) to contact an electrician.

Meanwhile, I will rely on my stationary bikes fan for cooling.

Thanks !

Emm I take it you are in the US if this is the case your 117v is fine your 50v is induced ac pick up because you are using a multimeter but if you used a voltage tester nothing would register

Hop I am right about US or it egg on ones face lol

I've used a multimeter which when set to DC will measure a similar value on AC.

Reply to Voltage recorded when switch is off? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock