Discuss What 17th edition tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevie h

Hi lads , am striking out on my own in the near future , am after a bit of advice on what multi tester to buy ? any advice , I'm after a tester that is easy to use as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to testing:eek:

Cheers

Ste

i use Megger's. they are OK, and very easy to get to grips with, but the 'no trip loop' function for Zs and Ze is very slow. They also sting you becasue you have to buy a seperate lead to do you ring cross connects

Robin / fluke are a better meter i think, but much harder to learn on

Of course, you pays your money, you takes your choice

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Unitest (3 seprate meters) and it is crap. Leads everywhere, croc clips galore and no back light function so you can see what you are doing in the dark.
Utter rubbish so avoid like the proverbial. When I go on my own this year I will either use the Fluke MFT of Megger.

You don't need anything new for the 17th that all the 16th edition testers dont already have.

The 2I RCD test is a load of BS spread by one of the lesser east european manufacturers that have it in their multifunction tester - there was an article in the NICEIC rag all about it. So don't get conned into buying a new tester when you don't need one.

One company even runs ads saying "The UK 1st 17th Edition Tester" which is strange since all the pre-existing 16th edition testers that have been around for years comply to the 17th edition.

Best testers I have come accross are the Meggers. Cant blow them up even accross phases, good readings, easy to use, 3 year warranty and made in good ole blighty - not some cheap imported tosh. I got a spanky MFT1553 in my hallway now and its the best.

Check out the promo video YouTube - Megger MFT1553 Multifunction Tester

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What 17th edition tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, I'm looking for a bit of friendly advice whilst trying to fix my motorbikes cdi unit. One of the pins corroded and came off and i was...
Replies
Views
Hi I am asking for help as a novice and 1st time user of this forum. Recently started to experience tripping of MCB & sometimes with the RCD at...
Replies
Views
Hi, just hoping for a bit of advice. When I travel abroad (Europe, predominantly Spain/Cyprus) I usually take a single travel adaptor and a UK 4...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Electrical2Go - Megger MFT Deals! Upgrade your toolkit with our exclusive offer! Purchase any of the Megger advanced multifunction testers –...
Replies
Views
Maybe coming across as a bit of a idiot but I'm looking at getting a copy of the 17th edition BS7671 as a point of reference for what the previous...
Replies
Views

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock