Discuss 4 Core SWA linking two legs of a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

'If in doubt put a spike in' is a cop out used by too many sparks, if you are at the start of your career, please don't fall into this lazy mans trap. Caravans, long runs to buildings/structures with pipework etc in and agricultural buildings with a lot of metal stuff about are a different ball game, all have their different reasons for not extending the equipotential zone to them and each case should be considered on an individual basis, not just 'come on billy lets knock a rod in'

I know it's hard to find work when you first start out and you don't want to turn anything away but this job has all the hallmarks of a pain in the buttocks for you and not something you need when you are trying to get yourself off the ground. Not having a go chap, just offering some friendly words of advice.

The point about faults above is quite important.

There will inevitably be a freezer in one or two of these garages. So when someone else uses something in their garage which trips the RCD on Saturday morning and the electrician comes out to investigate on Monday, who's going to pay for the contents of the freezers?

Well that's an interesting point, would it also make no difference on a TNCS system? (Gaps in my earthing system knowledge showing here...) Although with an rcd protecting the circuit the max Zs could be up to 1667 ohms and still comply in theory. Not that anyone would find that acceptable!

Adding a decent earth rod/nest connected to the MET of a TNCS system has it's advantages and is advisable in some situations but still won't help the Zs values in the installation.

Reply to 4 Core SWA linking two legs of a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net