Discuss Best way to step up voltage for electric motors in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We've been tasked to run power to some electric motors on some pumps and the building is currently 120/208vac 3ph. The motors are 230/460vac 3ph. Instead of getting new motors that run on 208vac, they're asking if we can get a transformer to step up the voltage from 208vac 3ph to 240vac 3ph. The 120/208 panel that is currently installed in the warehouse area is a 400 amp service that is basically empty, so we have plenty of power to handle this. It would be a total of (3) of the pumps listed below on (3) separate holding tanks.

Motor Info:
Lesson Ultimate E
Model: C254T1FK1
230/460 3ph
15hp 11KW
F.L. Amps - 37/19
PF - .82

Our initial idea was to come from the 400 amp panel to a step-up transformer -> sub panel -> motor starter -> contactor -> disconnect -> motor.

Given the above info, could someone recommend a good set up to make this work. We've talked to the supply house and they're telling me there isn't a step-up transformer to go from 208-240, that we would have to use several buck boosters to try and accomplish this. They also mentioned reverse wiring a 240-208 transformer (120 on the secondary to get 240 on the primary); I haven't done this before, so any info would be very helpful.

If the scenario above is too difficult, doesn't make sense, or is too costly, we still have the option to step up to 480vac 3ph, which I can get a transformer for this pretty easy, but the customer is wanting a quote to do it both ways.

Thanks in advance

a 2:1 tranny would give you 240/415V which is a standard voltage. the european version is 230/400V.

If there's several large motors we'd usually install a separate motor control panel to house the switchgear, drives, interlock contactors etc with a built-in supply transformer and supply all the motors from that panel. Basically an MCC/PCC combo. Usually the transformer would be 480V which is good for running 460Volt NEMA motors

Last edited:

Reply to Best way to step up voltage for electric motors in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net