Discuss Cable entry regs for Consumer Unit (18th edition)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We are about to install a Hager VML114 (14way, 100A switch disconnector incomer) and intend to populate with RCBOs.

My understanding under 18th edition regs is that we need IP2X rating on the bottom of the Consumer Unit (prevent touch by fingers i.e. no gaps more than 1.25cm). We had been intending to fit glands to the bottom of the consumer unit.

Looking at the Hager CU, it appears that the bottom of the unit only has 4 rectangular knockouts on the bottom. What are the options here for an 18th edition compliant install?

I see that Hager are selling Closed Cable Entry accessories (VM03CB) or we could drill some new 20mm holes in the bottom. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
the ip rate for consumer units are to the top or the sides only not the bottom .but sticking a glad pack to stop the tails from moving being class 1.the pegging question why is a diy being done on a consumer unit and testing is in order for the local building control.

This is one of the reasons I dislike the hager boards, due to the square knock outs, they apparently do a board with no knockouts, to make it easier doing the round holes for trs glands.

if you are concerned about cable entries in bottom of board ( talking finals, not tails) a short piece of 2x2 trunking under the CU would negate any IP rating problems.

Also the reason I don't use hager boards. Some kind people sent me a part number for the ones with no knockouts last time this came up but having to drill a single phase consumer unit is far too much effort with the selection of one's with round knockouts out there .

Also the reason I don't use hager boards. Some kind people sent me a part number for the ones with no knockouts last time this came up but having to drill a single phase consumer unit is far too much effort with the selection of one's with round knockouts out there .
Hager do ones with round knockouts too. The suffix RKO will be on the end of the product code.

Thanks for the responses.

Some good suggestions about use of stand-off or trunking.

@Andy78 @ferg Thank you - I did not realise that there was a round knockout version of these! That is good news and I am now kicking myself for ordering the VML114 and not the VML114RK! Hopefully my Supplier will be happy to swap it and that will solve my problem - letting me connect glands to the bottom of the CU to run all of the wiring out through conduit.

Last edited:
IP4X on the horizontal surfaces (Reg 416.2.1) and IPXXB or IP2X on all other surfaces (Reg 416.2.2). Intumescent glands and sealants may be used to ensure the IP ratings are maintained, but they are not a requirement and existing methods of ensuring IP are acceptable.from IET.

This is one of the reasons I dislike the hager boards, due to the square knock outs, they apparently do a board with no knockouts, to make it easier doing the round holes for trs glands.
Add "RK" to the end of the product code to get the round knockout version.

Reply to Cable entry regs for Consumer Unit (18th edition)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net