Discuss Contactor, Timer Circuit Design HELP! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here's a diagram I knocked up for a thread a while back and shows how the timer and contactor can be wired up.

Just replace the light circuits with your heater circuits

Timer--Contactor.jpg

Hi im an industrial electician and use contactirs and timers all tge time

Basically a contactor is a big switch
It has a suoply to the coil normally a1 and a2. Make sure you get a 240v coil.
The supply can be taken from the timer to the coil of the contactor on A1, A2 is the common (neutral)
The contactor will switch on by current passing through the coil.
The contacts off the contactor will then go to tge desired heaters.
They will then have supply to them when the contactor is energised.

As for the timmers and thermostats

I would personally have the contactor coils conected the the thernostat. This will then energise and cut the supply to the contactor depending on the temperature.

In regards to the timers are tgey goong to be used to cut the supply once tge heaters have been on too long or to come on at certain times?

Without knowing the full details of what’s needed in this case we can all guess.

It can be made as simple or as complicated as needed. One thing always to keep in mind is to keep things to the level the customer wants and the circumstances require.

Hi im an industrial electician and use contactirs and timers all tge time

Basically a contactor is a big switch
It has a suoply to the coil normally a1 and a2. Make sure you get a 240v coil.
The supply can be taken from the timer to the coil of the contactor on A1, A2 is the common (neutral)
The contactor will switch on by current passing through the coil.
The contacts off the contactor will then go to tge desired heaters.
They will then have supply to them when the contactor is energised.

As for the timmers and thermostats

I would personally have the contactor coils conected the the thernostat. This will then energise and cut the supply to the contactor depending on the temperature.

In regards to the timers are tgey goong to be used to cut the supply once tge heaters have been on too long or to come on at certain times?
No disrepect here but your either drunk or the worst lad in the english class...... never seen so many errors in a reply in the 3 yrs on here.

Could be worse

Hi im an industrial electician & uz contactirs & timers aL tge tym
Basically a contactor iz a big switch
It hz a suoply 2 d coil normally a1 & a2. mAk suR U git a 240v coil.
d supply cn b takN frm d timer 2 d coil of d contactor on A1, A2 iz d comN (neutral)
d contactor wiL switch on by curNt passing Thru d coil.
d contacts off d contactor wiL thN go 2 tge desired heaters.
dey wiL thN hav supply 2 dem wen d contactor iz energised.
az 4 d timmers & thermostats
I wud personally hav d contactor coils conected d d thernostat. DIS wiL thN energise & cut d supply 2 d contactor depeNdN on d temp.
n rgds 2 d timers R tgey goong 2 b Usd 2 cut d supply 1ce tge heaters hav Bin on t% lng o 2 --- on @ certan times?

God some of you guys are very sad. To actually sit there and rewrite my post, must be poor electricians and have no work. This website has been made for helping others, clearly you think your above everyone but its ok because you do sound really cool man much love!

Soz tennis ball was writing when you replied to that.... never mind just a thought would have been better over 3ph but in this case just supply a timer and set it to energise and de-energise the coil on a contactor, if getting a 4pole contactor as suggested i would clarify the 4th pole is rated as this is usually there for the retaining contact and isn't always rated the same as L1,L2,L3...(phone call to tech' support may be needed) also you need to state the coil voltage when buying (230v in your case),.

why is the 4th pole for retaining the contact ? is this for some form of overide switch ? and if so this would assume you have a permanent neutral to A2 im guessing so no DP isolation or a seperate neutral ran to it? or am i totally wrong lol

In a 4pole contactor its basic design function is to let 3phase through, the 4 pole is used as a latch to keep the coil energised so in this set up a start and stop button can be used, and if power is lost on the control circuit the contactor will drop out automatically, a very good feature to have if controlling a motor and the power fails... last thing you want from a safety point of view is the motor starting unexpectedly as power is regained.
Having said this contactors can be used for a whole variety of tasks but to re-iterate some manufacturer cut costs by not making the 4th pole to the same loading standards as the L1-L2-L3 poles.
Yes the neutral is normally permanent and feed is switched with regards to 230v coil.

fair enough ive just not seen 1 with this 4pole setup, ive fitted loads in series from time clocks for heating controls, lights etc but i dont get the chance to work on motors have you got a wiring diagram for one ?

Reply to Contactor, Timer Circuit Design HELP! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net