Discuss Domestic Sparkys - have a routine? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

on arrival a cup of tea is a must ,then maybe a bacon sandwich then after a read of paper we allways wire the house by starting at the top and work down,leave any outside lights and other annoying bits till last.oh what a life.

Done many Council re-wires of kitchens and bathrooms.

2 of us in a house and usually done by 2:00pm first fix and second fix.
These were lived in working around all appliances in kitchens etc.. Nasty work!
First thing was... Get the radio out the van!
Go in and roll carpets back get floor boards up ASAP.
1 of us would mark out the kitchen and start chasing out, carry on first fixing.
the 2nd would be in the bathroom or loft doing first fix. When all pulled in we would need to second fix. Core hole needed in kitchen & bathroom for fans. Theres is antother set of sparks that would go round and test only.

Most here are saying that they would do the CU first and install a temporary socket for kettle and chargers.

Do you guys feed the new CU from the existing old CU as a temp supply?

This is something I had to do while attempting to rewire a property that was being lived in! - total nightmare! :mad:

Or do kill all the power, rip out the old CU and fit the new CU, bonding, tails etc and get lights on first (plus a temp socket)?

Warren

You could always connect back up to existing unit if is only temp saving time, allowing you to get more done, then do new CU last with all the new cable ready to just connect up and complete final testing

Yes Paul, thats how I did it on that occasion.

I was quite lucky because the new CU was being placed on a wall opposite and therefore I could install the new CU, tails, bonding etc and replace circuit for circuit, old for new.

Eventually the old CU was empty to rip out.

Usually start upstairs lights first, then downstairs lights and upstairs socket at the same time, followed by down ring, kitchen ring, then mains.

Done it this way for almost 40 years - can't see point in changing now. :)

Usually start with upstairs lights, then ground.
Once you done ground lights you should have a route of up stairs sockets.
Depending on the ground floor flooring. We either wire ground floor ring from 1st floor if its concrete floors or lift boards if we're lucky.

Something like that :D

Exactly the same way for me to , Find its easier to bring all feeds back as you go and mains last...

All my rewires are occupied so can't strip out straight away. First thing to do is find route to new mains board. Then wire up sockets/smokes/down lights in the first day. Floor boards back down for good. Then kitchen sockets next day. Down sockets all chased connected up mains board and test away. Doddle :)

Normally go in:
Isolate:
Change board, tails, bonding etc and put up temporary d/socket for power:
Rip out all old installation where necessary:
First fix everything and all chasing etc:
Dead tests:
second fix:
Live tests:
All being well , back home in time for tea and medals and 'eggheads':eek:

This is roughly the way we go about full rewires with 2-3 guys on tools, if a 2 day job then try and get the lighting and central heating up + cooker circuit for the first day and run an extension lead from temporary socket for the tv for them:D

Open to opinions and maybe a tip or two;)
??????

Reply to Domestic Sparkys - have a routine? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock