Discuss Domestic Sparkys - have a routine? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Thought i'd start a thread on you sparky's, who enter an empty property ready to re-wire. Surely you have a routine in what you do? So i'd like to hear about it. I don't really do domestic and maybe getting a job in it. I know every property and situation is different, but just give us a general idea of how you go about it. Do you rip out and get the lighting done first? It can as detailed as you like ;)

Normally go in:
Isolate:
Change board, tails, bonding etc and put up temporary d/socket for power:
Rip out all old installation where necessary:
First fix everything and all chasing etc:
Dead tests:
second fix:
Live tests:
All being well , back home in time for tea and medals and 'eggheads':eek:

This is roughly the way we go about full rewires with 2-3 guys on tools, if a 2 day job then try and get the lighting and central heating up + cooker circuit for the first day and run an extension lead from temporary socket for the tv for them:D

Open to opinions and maybe a tip or two;)

go in hope you can get under the floor and its not had a loft conversion or an extension is always my 1st thought :)

Usually start with upstairs lights, then ground.
Once you done ground lights you should have a route of up stairs sockets.
Depending on the ground floor flooring. We either wire ground floor ring from 1st floor if its concrete floors or lift boards if we're lucky.

Something like that :D

When i used to do it i would do

first day. consumer unit,upstairs lights
next day,and maybee the next, kitchen sockets, and other downstairs stuff
next day ,and maybee the next, middle ,ie downstairs lights and upstairs sockets
next day ,all the odds and ends outside lights ,immersion heater etc ,making good
next day, testing

slow but sure, it doesnt matter how long a job takes as long as its right ,well thats my excuse anyway

During last year I have been part of a team of three upgrading council properties (2-3 bedrooms flats or house). 2 properties a day (8:00am - 4:30pm);

• Check and confirms work sheet
  • Check for sound continuty to make sure there is no broken ring (if confirmed the nightmare starts)
  • One man on CU, gas and water bonding
  • One man on bathroom. Sup bonding for Light, shower (if available) and rad, IP45 light fitting and bathroom fan.
  • One man on changes (all sockets, flexes and switches) and extra sockets (most jobs are done with trunking as council do not pay and does not want any chasing)
  • The first person who finish his job at hand jumps on the next task
  • Smoke Alarm
  • Wiring Shower or Cooker if required
  • Final touches and finishing
  • Testing and paper work

During last year I have been part of a team of three upgrading council properties (2-3 bedrooms flats or house). 2 properties a day (8:00am - 4:30pm);

• Check and confirms work sheet
  • Check for sound continuty to make sure there is no broken ring (if confirmed the nightmare starts)
  • One man on CU, gas and water bonding
  • One man on bathroom. Sup bonding for Light, shower (if available) and rad, IP45 light fitting and bathroom fan.
  • One man on changes (all sockets, flexes and switches) and extra sockets (most jobs are done with trunking as council do not pay and does not want any chasing)
  • The first person who finish his job at hand jumps on the next task
  • Smoke Alarm
  • Wiring Shower or Cooker if required
  • Final touches and finishing
  • Testing and paper work

thats good going for 2 a day.

me and my mate used to wire 3/4 bed councils houses in a day all be it a lot of surface yt2 trunking used. i used to start marking out kitchen and then chop all that out, then drop on drill holes for cables for ring coming down then chuck up the fishes to tie onto. chop out chases and drill through for back to back sockets.fix some back boxes, then i removed switches and lights. meanwhile my mate had lifted appropite floorboards and had drill the joists and had started wiring which he did on his own. once cables had dropped down then i tubed up and fixed and then 2nd fixed. once downstairs was finished about 12.30 i went up in the loft and we wired upstairs lights that takes 20 mins then my mate 2nd fixed upstairs lights while i started on chopping out upstairs and 2nd fixing all that. meanwhile my mate was wiring downstairs lights i helped him pull d/lights cables in. after that i started on mains while my mate bonded bathroom done the heating controls and trunked cables in airing cupboard. after that i fitted outside light and then the big tidy up was done that normally took over an hour to get everything back into place and tidy.

now the sad bit is me and my mate have had to split up and he is working somewhere else.

Normally go in:
Isolate:
Change board, tails, bonding etc and put up temporary d/socket for power:
Rip out all old installation where necessary:
First fix everything and all chasing etc:
Dead tests:
second fix:
Live tests:
All being well , back home in time for tea and medals and 'eggheads':eek:

This is roughly the way we go about full rewires with 2-3 guys on tools, if a 2 day job then try and get the lighting and central heating up + cooker circuit for the first day and run an extension lead from temporary socket for the tv for them:D

Open to opinions and maybe a tip or two;)

Is it ok to do dead tests before second fix? Wouldnt u want to test insulation resistance with all your sockets in place?

Its always a good idea to do dead tests before second fix in case theres any teething problems...saves any grief down the line and yes IR tests are fine with socket outlets in place...this will also give you a good idea of your connections....check polarity (visual) at the same time....become that robot:D

Is it ok to do dead tests before second fix? Wouldnt u want to test insulation resistance with all your sockets in place?

yes IR tests are fine with socket outlets in place...this will also give you a good idea of your connections....check polarity (visual) at the same time....become that robot:D

rhetorical question comes to mine, This topic is very informational, so keep it going, with your regular checks, routines, any one with any tips ?

Hi,
how do you do a dead test before you connect anything ?,
what do you do test every bit of cable? ,
its a new one on me! ,
how much do you charge for doing it ?,

as rum says ,if you got a ring circuit with sockets missing the only way to dead test is by choc bloc which is time cosuming

and also pointless, because you are proving nothing!

surely the idea is you test AFTER connecting up, that way you will know that, ...erm... its all connected correctly? and everything is a continuos loop?

personally, i believe, for example, that IR test are only valid if made AFTER the sockets, switches etc are connected, because thats when you are going to screw through one of the cables........:p

For me its.
(1) cu & bonding + temp socket for kettle & chargers
(2) lights test & connect (can work later in the day with lights on)
(3) upstairs sockets & bathroom bonding + shower
(4) downstairs sockets & kitchen sockets
(5) bt & data if requested
(6) 2nd fix
(7) dead test & live test

Something like that..but like most things plans change while in operation.

no no bane what happened was we were working on price in scunthorpe. the price was ok but not the best. anyway our finished the scunthorpe job and we were sent to leicester:eek: no traveling time and from leeds its 2hrs on a good run and anybody who knows the m1 to leeds from leicester you very rarley get a good run. the price in leicester was really bad just an example wire a shower from board to shower including making good and testing was £15.00. thats no joke another was mains change full pme an test was £60. anyway we were never going to make our money on that job and the job was for 3 months so we left the company.
my mate has a job at another company in leeds and i start a new job in leeds on monday back rewiring and upgrades on council houses lived in and voids. which im happy about as its what i know.
im trying to get my mate at the same firm as me so we can team up again.

Reply to Domestic Sparkys - have a routine? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock