Search the forum,

Discuss Earth doubling up as neutral conductor in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning all, I was called out to diagnose a fault with some 2d robus light fittings. After some research it turned out the installers had programmed the PIR with the wrong time sequence (5mins) the tube and ballast were both being damaged as min run time should be 15mins.
What stumped me is why they have used the CPC as the neutral conductor, this contradicts all I have been taught. Is this common or acceptable practise? Were the Orginal installers cutting corners by using cables with less cores. The fittings are all plastic with no exposed conductive parts.
Thanks for all your imput

using cpc as a live conductor is not acceptable. full stop.

I had this the other day in an underfloor heating thermostat and the crazy thing is there was a blue core within the cable that they had just cut off at each end! tested out all ok so i put it as it should have been, i don't know what goes through peoples heads sometimes!

Good luck with that one, I'm pretty sure he won't of learnt how to do it by the next fitting so you could be opening up a can of worms here. Metal gear try required the earth richardg, fitting may be plastic so Jo public are safe to touch just me you and any other unlucky spark who touches the gear tray who gonna get it .

What gets me is why the hell you left that circuit connected and energised. I would have had that locked off and issued an electrical danger notification.

Is it really his place to do that? certainly not under my companys rules for I&T. We would issue urgent defect report to the customer (over phone if necessary) and leave as is. Imagine if tennant fell down stairs because no lights were on, you could be liable if you 'locked them off'
Its one thing locking off a machine in a factory, but I think you would have to be careful with communal areas in blocks of flats.
IMO installation poses no imminent danger to public.

Is it really his place to do that? certainly not under my companys rules for I&T. We would issue urgent defect report to the customer (over phone if necessary) and leave as is. Imagine if tennant fell down stairs because no lights were on, you could be liable if you 'locked them off'
Its one thing locking off a machine in a factory, but I think you would have to be careful with communal areas in blocks of flats.
IMO installation poses no imminent danger to public.
It's a tough one but you are leaving yourself wide open leaving communal staircases with no lighting. Tricky one to be honest

Thank you for all your opinions, as stated in the last post I have informed the management company over the phone and will backup with an email to cover. Turns out the last electrician 'Just' got it working stating there were some issues with the buildings electrics. A slight understatement! The older residents need the lighting on to access lifts & stairs so locking off a circuit would cause more danger.
I will leave the proverbial ball in their court and see if they opt for a rewire.
Happy testing

Reply to Earth doubling up as neutral conductor in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock