Discuss Fitting an LED Spot into a loft hatch? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thankyou nicebutdim,
I thought I was going mad.

And ferrules can be used with Wago connection units!

The indents left by the crimping tool on the ferrule could catch on the leaf spring and cause it to get stuck.

Using boot lace ferrules creates a highly loaded point of conduction in the clamp. This both reduces the current carrying capacity and potentially increase the chance of a poor contact if oxidised. Cage clamp terminals are designed to encourage wrap of the stripped bare cables around the internal clamp contact. This increases the contact area considerably.

The indents left by the crimping tool on the ferrule could catch on the leaf spring and cause it to get stuck.

Using boot lace ferrules creates a highly loaded point of conduction in the clamp. This both reduces the current carrying capacity and potentially increase the chance of a poor contact if oxidised. Cage clamp terminals are designed to encourage wrap of the stripped bare cables around the internal clamp contact. This increases the contact area considerably.

Attachments

• 2A8DB583-19CE-49B9-B602-F459B155CEBB.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 28794174-3CC7-432D-99AD-A202D210D73A.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 3

I welcome your response, but as a 3c 1.5 flex has over 20+ individual strands within each core, it’s often very awkward to guarantee a sound connection with these lever type push in connections, especially if your daisy chaining 2 inputs on each lever for L N CpC.

As we all know, just one of those annoying strands can split away/across and arc.

Also, you can’t guarantee that the entire twisted strand has fully entered the lever enclosure and not just crumpled up inside.

A further question I’d ask you, is

For what reason we’re Ferrels introduced to the electrical industry.???

I don't think SY cable is classed as fine stranded.
Coarse stranded (class 2) cables are the only stranded cables suitable for use with the 773 range.

SY is fine stranded (class 5) and not suitable for use with that range of connectors.

It doesn't matter what we think, the manufacturer is clear on this point.

Coarse stranded (class 2) cables are the only stranded cables suitable for use with the 773 range.

SY is fine stranded (class 5) and not suitable for use with that range of connectors.

It doesn't matter what we think, the manufacturer is clear on this point.
Very well explained nicebutdim, 👍

Now as much as I enjoyed solder tipping (NOT), I’d rather ferrule and terminate in a ferrule approved connection unit.

OR just hope that by twisting the strands will hopefully be adequate to shove into a lever type block.! And hope for the best.!
😳

Very well explained nicebutdim, 👍

Now as much as I enjoyed solder tipping (NOT), I’d rather ferrule and terminate in a ferrule approved connection unit.

OR just hope that by twisting the strands will hopefully be adequate to shove into a lever type block.! And hope for the best.!
😳

Wago lever connectors are fine for used with fine stranded conductors and are designed to apply constant tension without damage to those conductors.

On my first original inspection of the loft I noticed a number of mice and squirrel 🐿 traps.
There was evidence of 🐿 🐭🐁 activity, so for that reason I over engineered the materials used.

I’m grateful for the lesson, and now understand that Flex, is flexible.

But possibly not as 🐿 tolerant as SY.

Would you agree?

If there is rodent activity then what is required first is pest control.

SY is not in any way rodent proof!

The only wiring systems which are truly rodent proof are steel conduit and MICC.
SWA is fairly rodent resistant but they can still damage the outer sheath which can be an issue if any moisture gets into the armour.

I think we’re straying from the point.

Which was:- over engineering my cable choice from PVC or UPVC flex between a loft hinged access light fitting, 1 meter into a loft using 1.5 3c SY as the clients property had an infestation of 🐿🐁.

What would you guys have used???

What cable did you use for the rest of the loft in view of this rodent issue?

There's no point trying to make 1 metre of flex rodent proof if the rest of the loft is wired in T&E!

I welcome your response, but as a 3c 1.5 flex has over 20+ individual strands within each core, it’s often very awkward to guarantee a sound connection with these lever type push in connections, especially if your daisy chaining 2 inputs on each lever for L N CpC.

You should not be putting more than one conductor in each port of a lever connector.

SY gave the required mechanical protection of the movement from the loft hatch.!

20/25mm conduit wasn’t suitable in the space available.

Flex didn’t meet the mechanical movement of the operation of the loft access being operated over and over again. Also the fact that clumpy feet using the loaf steps made me want to possibly over engineer the requirement. Safety first.
Sy does not offer mechanical protection. The braid is not armour and is used to reduce electrical noise, not offer mechanical protection. SY is not recognised by bs7671, how did you note this on your certificate after installation? Did you use the suitable brass gland for SY or did you butcher it into a stuffing gland?

Sy does not offer mechanical protection. The braid is not armour and is used to reduce electrical noise, not offer mechanical protection. SY is not recognised by bs7671, how did you note this on your certificate after installation? Did you use the suitable brass gland for SY or did you butcher it into a stuffing gland?
Just to add to this.

Under BS7671 18th Edition Wiring Regulation, SY, CY and YY cables are only appropriate for UK fixed wiring
installations requiring compliance with the Wiring Regulations where certain standards can be determined,
provisions made, and such use is recorded in the appropriate electrical certification.
Clause 133.1.3 of the Wiring Regulations requires that when a cable that is neither a British, harmonised or
other national standard is used, the specifier / designer ensure an equivalent degree of safety is achieved as
when using a British standard cable.
SY, CY and YY cables are not manufactured to a specific British, European or international standard so in
most cases it is not possible to demonstrate the performance safety standards required to satisfy the Wiring
Regulations.

If there is rodent activity then what is required first is pest control.

SY is not in any way rodent proof!

The only wiring systems which are truly rodent proof are steel conduit and MICC.
SWA is fairly rodent resistant but they can still damage the outer sheath which can be an issue if any moisture gets into the armour.
Thanks Dave sparks,
But the earlier correspondence mentioned, that this was a light fitting, fixed within a hinged loft access lid.

MICC wouldn’t give the flexibility of use if the loft access lid, and SWA would have been to greater in its CSA to have cleared the ladder use.

Pet control is an obvious solution, but only a recommendation from me to the client.

What would you have installed??

What cable did you use for the rest of the loft in view of this rodent issue?

There's no point trying to make 1 metre of flex rodent proof if the rest of the loft is wired in T&E!
We were tasked with one job. Not the whole loft.!

But just to bring you up to date, the client has accepted our quote for a loft rewire in Jan.

I won’t be using Galv, or SWA, MICC, SY, or .75 Bell wire.!

Yes, You’ve got it. They’ve got the Ghost Busters in to clear the problem before we arrive..

Couldn’t believe the price these guys have charged (20m x10m) loft.!!!!

Please read the previous.

Reply to Fitting an LED Spot into a loft hatch? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net