Discuss Looking to emigrate, how's best? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm currently working in the UK as a Electrical Maintenance engineer in the food industry. Me and my partner are talking about a move to Australia or New Zealand and there seems to be plenty of jobs when I've looked but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm only BTEC level 3 qualified in electrical and electronic engineering, but I've got about 7 years experience in the industry now working with single phase and three phase up to 415v. Should I be looking to do my 18th edition and getting registered in aus before I even apply for jobs or would it be better looking for jobs where I'm not registered?

Or is there specific recruiters anyone could suggest for this sort of thing or are job hunting websites the best way to go?

Sorry it's a bit of a wall of text but getting my head around the best way to do it has me googling in circles.

Thanks!

might be an idea to pm one of our aussie members. afaik, in Oz you need to be licensed. Australia House would also be a good place for advice.

Have you been to either Country to look around from the point of view of living / working there as opposed to holidaying?

Have you checked both Countires immigration systems to see if you and your occupation qualify you enough points to go there?

might be an idea to pm one of our aussie members. afaik, in Oz you need to be licensed. Australia House would also be a good place for advice.
Any suggestions on who'd be best to pm?
[automerge]1573940037[/automerge]
Have you been to either Country to look around from the point of view of living / working there as opposed to holidaying?

Have you checked both Countires immigration systems to see if you and your occupation qualify you enough points to go there?
Not been to either yet, plans are early next year we're going to holiday both. It seems both countries have these kinds of roles on their skills shortage lists, but from looking I think I'd be struggling points wise without a job offer.

Any suggestions on who'd be best to pm?
[automerge]1573940037[/automerge]

Not been to either yet, plans are early next year we're going to holiday both. It seems both countries have these kinds of roles on their skills shortage lists, but from looking I think I'd be struggling points wise without a job offer.
try KennyKen, a member from Oz.

Well it depends where you are moving to. My recommendation is moving either to New South Wales or Victoria. Sydney in NSW and Melbourne in VIC are very popular as there are lots of job opportunities, however the cost of living and competition is high.

In saying that, the population of Sydney is over 5,000,000 and Melbourne population is around 5,000,000 so there would be a high caliber of electricians needed in those areas. Thus more competition.

Then there are cities such as Newcastle and Maitland (In New South Wales) or Geelong in Victoria, all which have a population of around 300,000. As I live in Newcastle myself, the city has demand for skilled workers and trades such as Electricians, Plumbers, Engineers and Doctors.

I love Australia, the freedom and the experience it brings. Plus the land size area compared to the population is amazing compared to the UK. There is plenty of space to travel and plenty to see.

I recommend getting licensed and registered first, as Australian laws require you to be a licensed electrician to do electrical installation, repair or work.

Typically you should apply for those electrical companies who are either well established and get lots of customers or those who are in need of electricians for hire and are licensed and certified.

If you live in Geelong I recommend either:

• Laser Electrical
  • MOD Electrical

I've lived in Geelong before, so I've worked with these guys during my apprenticeship and actually found them friendly and approachable.

If you live in Newcastle I recommend either:

They are hiring at the current moment and are both licensed. I now work with Kendall Electrical as a trainee electrician, the team is very friendly and located in one of the best positions in the heart of Newcastle!

All in all, its really up to you. Infact any place you live you can find an electrical job and secure it. It just depends how much effort you are willing to put in to get it...

Whatever happened to the good old days. Commit a crime and get shipped to Australia? ;)

Seriously though , wish you all the best if you go for it, had few friends and family move out many moons again (no they were not criminals, or so I was told) and they love it out there, but in recent years cost of living has increased dramatical from what it used to be. They still say it's the best move they've ever made

Maybe worth while trying to get yourself on one of those should I stay or move to Oz programmes? Or even looking to see if you can get a years contract work out there to see if it's for you or not, before making final decision. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reply to Looking to emigrate, how's best? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock