Discuss Possible bad ground in detached garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

csdude55

DIY
Reaction score
I have a hybrid vehicle, and I've use a Clipper Creek charger to plug it in for the last 2 or 3 years. A few days ago it was fine, and I unplugged to run an errand. When I came home, though, the charger was flashing on both "Power Fault" and "Charging Fault".

After some research, this "usually" implies a bad ground.

I tried other receptacles in the garage, and it had the same problem. Then I brought the charger inside the house and plugged it up, and it's fine here. So that's isolates the issue to the garage.

I measured the outlet and got 120V across the hot and neutral, then I checked the ground and also got 120V there! I tried replacing the receptacle with a new one that I had on hand, and still get 120V at both locations, but the charger still throws the same errors.

Any other thoughts? Could the ground still be bad, even though it measures 120V on the meter? If so, would the ground be ran to the main house ground? How does one track down the wire underground?

I get 120-122V when I stick the meter in the receptacle holes, as well as when I measure the wires without the receptacle.

I get 120-122V when I stick the meter in the receptacle holes, as well as when I measure the wires without the receptacle.
if you are getting 120v to earth then you must be getting a good earth ,is it possible you have a faulty plug on the charger .
got home tonight from errands with about 25% battery left and plugged in my L2 charger at home to do a on-demand charge to 80%. Hit the button in the car to start the charge and didn't hear the familiar beep and click. Went over to the CC to find both the Power Fault and Charging Fault lights both blinking red.

Tried reinserting the L2 cord, powering the car on and off, disconnecting power to the CC and nothing would work. Plugged in the factory L1 cord and the car started charging just fine. Tried the L2 again, and got the same failure. Power cycled the CC, plugged it in and waited about 5 minutes. Tried to initiate the charge again and it started working fine on L2.

2013 Leaf with 40,500 miles. Purchased the car with about 31k on it and it may have the original 12v battery. Normally I charge to 100% every workday on timer.google this .

I have a hybrid vehicle, and I've use a Clipper Creek charger to plug it in for the last 2 or 3 years. A few days ago it was fine, and I unplugged to run an errand. When I came home, though, the charger was flashing on both "Power Fault" and "Charging Fault".

I tried other receptacles in the garage, and it had the same problem. Then I brought the charger inside the house and plugged it up, and it's fine here. So that's isolates the issue to the garage.

I measured the outlet and got 120V across the hot and neutral, then I checked the ground and also got 120V there! I tried replacing the receptacle with a new one that I had on hand, and still get 120V at both locations, but the charger still throws the same errors.

Any other thoughts? Could the ground still be bad, even though it measures 120V on the meter? If so, would the ground be ran to the main house ground? How does one track down the wire

Any other thoughts? Could the ground still be bad, even though it measures 120V on the meter? If so, would the ground be ran to the main house ground? How does one track down the wire underground?
CCdude 55 do you have a panel in your garage

Thanks for the replies, but after reading buzzlightyear's link and contacting Clipper Creek, I'm almost positive that the problem is with the charger, after all :-( When I tested it in the house earlier it worked fine, but today it's flashing while in the house, too. So there has to be an intermittent connection inside the charger.

@Megawatt, though... the garage doesn't have a separate panel, it's just on a 15A breaker from the main breaker box.

Thanks for the replies, but after reading buzzlightyear's link and contacting Clipper Creek, I'm almost positive that the problem is with the charger, after all :-( When I tested it in the house earlier it worked fine, but today it's flashing while in the house, too. So there has to be an intermittent connection inside the charger.

@Megawatt, though... the garage doesn't have a separate panel, it's just on a 15A breaker from the main breaker box.
@csdude that’s what I was thinking but glad you found the problem and good luck

Reply to Possible bad ground in detached garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock