Discuss Safety Test Lamp Ideas in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SparkyKris

Hi,

A brief introduction: I work in a factory that manufactures heating elements. We have testing stations that the operators would put the elements on to test. These testing stations are basically a control panel (method of controlling various voltage outputs from 0Vac to 400Vac, using either variable transformers or via thyristor control) a transformer and a test bed (caged test area where the element sits on top of conductors made of a mixture of carbon blocks and aluminium braided wire)

The operators would put the elements on top of these contacts (either between phase and neutral or between phase and phase), shut the cage gate and remove the safety key. Insert the safety key into the panel interlock to activate the control panel. The control panel lets the operator start the power output and adjust the output to the voltage (0-400Vac) selected for the element, with the feed back of voltage and current panel meters.

The operator would set the test to the desired voltage and wait until the current settled, then read the current reading therefore the rating of the element.

I wish to improve the safety of these machines by installing a test lamp circuit so that after the test is complete and the operator removes the interlocked safety key from the panel he/she can be assured that when he/she opens the cage gate there is no live conductors within that cage that may cause them harm while trying to remove the tested element.

My trouble is that normally I would use a test meter to check for voltage and not a test lamp, so I'm not familiar with the voltage range of these devices and also if anyone has any ideals of a circuit or devices I can use - they would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance if there is any help you can give me.. :)

On these sort of circuits, one normally have a main contactor that feeds the element circuit. If so put a n\c aux contactor on this, which is fused and connected to a suitable voltage. When the main contactor makes the lamp lights to indicate that there is power to the element.

Hi Kris
I would use the n/c contact method as described above,if there is not one spare on the contactor consider adding a relay
all the very best in the world
chris

Reply to Safety Test Lamp Ideas in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock