Discuss Self Build Advice Please - consumer units, sockets & switches... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Time for LVG to go, he’s only cruising to retirement imo. He’s not the long term future.

Back on topic.
As a trainee, hope it's OK to ask this question.
When the customer decides to buy his own fittings etc, doesn’t that mean he assumes full responsible for dealing with potential warranty issues. ?

For example, say an instantaneous water heater stopped working, you could charge for troubleshooting, then leave the customers to liaise and arrange for a replacement from wherever he purchased it from. Then charge to re-fit and test ?

Time for LVG to go, he’s only cruising to retirement imo. He’s not the long term future.

Back on topic.
As a trainee, hope it's OK to ask this question.
When the customer decides to buy his own fittings etc, doesn’t that mean he assumes full responsible for dealing with potential warranty issues. ?

For example, say an instantaneous water heater stopped working, you could charge for troubleshooting, then leave the customers to liaise and arrange for a replacement from wherever he purchased it from. Then charge to re-fit and test ?

hes good ......……… pen pusher.

well i would make it clear to him/her if they buy their own fittings then responsibilty lies with inscase there is a problem. Never assume this things.

In this case I am only buying my own fittings/materials as I was told to by my sparks. He is wanting to save me money as a friend rather than him spending time he doesn't have sourcing the best prices for materials.

I thought he would want to buy them all as normal, but his response was "if I supply them, I'll get them from my normal source and add the normal markup - you discuss with me what you want, I'll advise you and then you source those materials and products as cheaply as you can"

He's a good bloke :)

In this case I am only buying my own fittings/materials as I was told to by my sparks. He is wanting to save me money as a friend rather than him spending time he doesn't have sourcing the best prices for materials.

I thought he would want to buy them all as normal, but his response was "if I supply them, I'll get them from my normal source and add the normal markup - you discuss with me what you want, I'll advise you and then you source those materials and products as cheaply as you can"

He's a good bloke :)
You'll also be able to claim the VAT back on the materials...if he is non VAT registered you couldn't if he supplied them...and if he was it would be zero VAT anyways (assuming this is a New Build)

You'll also be able to claim the VAT back on the materials...if he is non VAT registered you couldn't if he supplied them...and if he was it would be zero VAT anyways (assuming this is a New Build)

Yes its new build. Actually, I need to buy some things myself to claim the VAT back (rather than the builder or zero rated supply/fit) as I need a VAT reclaim certificate to be able to qualify for CIL exemption. :)

Reply to Self Build Advice Please - consumer units, sockets & switches... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net