Discuss Self Build Advice Please - consumer units, sockets & switches... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For Normal domestic 100Amp Fuses to BS 1361, these are the graph given figures of TIME V. CURRENT, to Rupture the fuse:-
0.1 second @ 1800Amps
1 second @ 950Amps
5 seconds @ 630Amps
3 MINUTES @ 360Amps
10 MINUTES @ 250Amps - (Fuse does get Hot)
1 HOUR @ 170Amps

You should not plan an installation which relies on this though, the fuse will weaken with time as it is subjected to such overloads and the terminals etc of the cutout won't necessarily be rated for the duty.

You should not plan an installation which relies on this though, the fuse will weaken with time as it is subjected to such overloads and the terminals etc of the cutout won't necessarily be rated for the duty.

I agree.

I cannot see anything more than 26kw (113amp) ever being used at once - and then only on rare occasions and only for 90 seconds maximum. But I must admit that I would have been happier if the water heaters were on the smaller side, but have decided to go with these (already bought)

On your opening post, you say the Electrician will be advising you, does that mean he is not working on the installation.?

He is doing all the electrical work. Perhaps I should have been more semantically correct and said "I know he will give us good advice and perform an excellent & professional service for us"

Good grief, I am beginning to wish I hadn't asked!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree.

I cannot see anything more than 26kw (113amp) ever being used at once - and then only on rare occasions and only for 90 seconds maximum. But I must admit that I would have been happier if the water heaters were on the smaller side, but have decided to go with these (already bought)

You have made me think though Dave. I will give some consideration to a 3kw 5litre hot water solution for the kitchen. It is the kitchen tap which will be used most and possibly at the same time as the shower (9.5kw) or a bathroom tap (12kw).

Yeah right, our electricity networks are a patchwork of ancient cables and distribution waiting to fall apart. A mass move to electric heating and cooking will result in one heck of a lot of power cuts!

It isn't what we think about it that matters though Dave, is it. Apparently that is a serious proposal that is being considered - I know it seems hard to believe, but I only know what I have read...

IMO these questions should be discussed with your Electrician on site, are you doubting his integrity, If I were him would not be best pleased in the slightest, sorry but if you are going to have an hissy fit over some Q's then IMO there is no other spark is there.!! It's an selfie.

It isn't what we think about it that matters though Dave, is it. Apparently that is a serious proposal that is being considered - I know it seems hard to believe, but I only know what I have read...

And I know what I've read, in one of the DNO's technical papers detailing how chunks of the distribution system are still working on DC distribution from around 100 years ago.

The muppets that run this country are not going to scrap gas . For one the energy companies themselves would not allow this as a loss of revenue (they are powerful) .

We are on the limit for power as is . Not enough power stations and fear of brown outs in the near future if they don't get arses in gear !

They look like genuine articles but this is the first i have heard of the idea . Not going to happen , If gas is available you would be foolish not to utilise it .

The muppets that run this country are not going to scrap gas . For one the energy companies themselves would not allow this as a loss of revenue (they are powerful) .

We are on the limit for power as is . Not enough power stations and fear of brown outs in the near future if they don't get arses in gear !

They look like genuine articles but this is the first i have heard of the idea . Not going to happen , If gas is available you would be foolish not to utilise it .
There was a debate here, on this issue a short while ago. Can't be bothered to locate it, but suffice to say the UN Climate Change Conference 2015, agreed on a reduction of 2' of global warming, and less reliance on fossil fuels, by 2030. Whether it will happen or not, as the agreement doesn't appear to be biding. In the UK, apart from fuel for vehicles, a lot of our carbon emissions come from, gas heating and gas cooking. Whilst some effort is being made on carbon emissions from vehicles, little is being done with our gas consumption. Hence the headlines about the demise of domestic gas boilers and hobs.

Last edited:

Agree, gonna have a look in abit as I'm nosy ,but do you remember where you found this info Reg Ect.

Reply to Self Build Advice Please - consumer units, sockets & switches... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net