• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Socket box sinker. (+ sds chasing chisel) in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GT1

Anyone use a socket box sinker ?
I'm thinking the armed type.
I've got 2 or 3 jobs lined up soon where I know I will be chopping out in brick. So I think now's the time to bite that particular bullet and lay out for one. !

Be grateful for any pointers
Cheers.

JASON

Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Be a man and use the hammer and chisel :D:D:D

I have used them in the past, but TBH they are only good for soft brick, breeze or thermalite.

P

Phil

top tip. DON`T bother :D honestly don`t bother for brick, have a search on here and there is a thread on how useless they are for brick mate.
get a scutch or even better an sds scutch bit. i got one the other week for twenty quid. well impressed with it

widdler

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I have an Armeg set, and can vouch for how they work on brick. RUBBISH. They're great on soft breeze, allthough my apprentice has gone in too far with them on occasion.
With brick, I just drill a series of holes. With the cost of an Armeg set, I'd just stock up on SDS drills.

G

GT1

Holy cow !

That answers that one then.
Cheers fellas. !

Normally use lump hammer and scutch to be honest.

What about the sds wall chasers. Are they just as pants ?

P

Phil

well i reckon thats worth twenty quid each for jason, widdler and myself for saving you all that cash :D:D

P

Phil

i have the sds scutch and it`s great. i reckon i could do a good demolition with it :D got it from the wholesalers for a snip

G

GT1

Ah would love to oblige however I can't, for some reason that I'll make up later. !

When using the sds scutch then do you just chase straight down the wall to width of the chisel, or are you cutting some "edges" first with a grinder ?

P

Phil

only thing you need to oblige is by posting mate :D thats what were here for a good bit of advice and to help each other when we need it. always best to ask.
i have only used it for chopping out for back boxes since i bought it mate tbh as i am not out working all day got tuition fees on at the mo. will get dirty soon though:D

R

rocker

I've been using what they call an SDS tiler's chisel for boxes lately.... the 75-80mm ones are perfect for back boxes, basically they are a wide bolster-chisel shape with a bit of a bend in the end and are great for cutting out perfect boxes and wide channels, too.

K

KINKY

I have found the easiest way for me is to use a grinder down the edges of the chase, and SDS chisel out the inner.

When fitting back boxes, pepper the brick with a drill, tape on drill bit for depth guage and again SDS chisel it out, crumbles like biscuit then, almost perfect square recess.

jeremy

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
SDS scutch for me. I have a box cutter thing (Armeg) which works best in snow and marshmallow, though is quite good in sandstone, whereas a chisel isn't so good as the structure of the stone absorbs the impact. My findings not scientifically proven!

S

SirKit Breaker

Dont buy one of these things they are crap (that is unless you want to buy mine). Spend you cash more wisely on beer.

cbw

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
DITTO< You can also buy mine too, as stated good in marshmallows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.