Discuss Anybody using Job Management Software? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys,

Just thought I would update those who are interested.

Had a chat with a lad called Joe at simPRO on Friday about their software and he took me through a demo which was quite interesting. It seems to tick every box really and will integrate with everything I currently use and more.
The layout is very similar to all the other packages I've tried and looks simple enough to use but, like any new software, it will take a good while to get get the best out of it. I'm really interested but the price is significantly higher than the regular stuff.
It is the sort of software that grows as your business does due to the massive functionality of it and would be great foundation to build upon.

Here is the process:

Firstly, you have to go through their "implementation" process. For me that's 3 days worth of somebody walking me through the software and how to use it. Personally, for a small business like mine, I feel that 3 days is excessive and would probably only need 1 day as I will only be using around 25% of the features.

These days are billed at £700 per day with a current "offer" of half price if you book before a certain date (typical sales tactics) so a grand total of £1050 for 3 days.

Then there's the monthly subscription cost which is billed at £104 per month inclusive of VAT. This is for the Office package.
There is an additional mobile version that ties in with the office version for an extra £16.80 a month inclusive of VAT.
So, if I was to go for both office and mobile (which Joe of course suggests) then that would be £120.80 a month tied in for 12 month contract. £1449.60 a year.

When you look at the other more common products, they average around £45 a month (£540 a year) but, as I have found, each one I have used has it's drawbacks which would add extra work needed so they are not an ideal choice.

The simPRO software integrates with everything with no additional steps required but is this worth the asking price!

One thing is certain, I have to start using some form of management software as I can no longer keep spending hours every night manually filling forms out when a single software package can do it all for me in a matter of minutes.

Hi guys,

Just thought I would update those who are interested.

Had a chat with a lad called Joe at simPRO on Friday about their software and he took me through a demo which was quite interesting. It seems to tick every box really and will integrate with everything I currently use and more.
The layout is very similar to all the other packages I've tried and looks simple enough to use but, like any new software, it will take a good while to get get the best out of it. I'm really interested but the price is significantly higher than the regular stuff.
It is the sort of software that grows as your business does due to the massive functionality of it and would be great foundation to build upon.

Here is the process:

Firstly, you have to go through their "implementation" process. For me that's 3 days worth of somebody walking me through the software and how to use it. Personally, for a small business like mine, I feel that 3 days is excessive and would probably only need 1 day as I will only be using around 25% of the features.

These days are billed at £700 per day with a current "offer" of half price if you book before a certain date (typical sales tactics) so a grand total of £1050 for 3 days.
What do they mean by implementation process, 3 days straight off just creates information overload I would rather have some sort of split so a 2 and 1 with a week or 2 between which gives you time to find all the questions and problems you have found
Then there's the monthly subscription cost which is billed at £104 per month inclusive of VAT. This is for the Office package.
There is an additional mobile version that ties in with the office version for an extra £16.80 a month inclusive of VAT.
So, if I was to go for both office and mobile (which Joe of course suggests) then that would be £120.80 a month tied in for 12 month contract. £1449.60 a year.

When you look at the other more common products, they average around £45 a month (£540 a year) but, as I have found, each one I have used has it's drawbacks which would add extra work needed so they are not an ideal choice.
So can the software pay for itself how much of your time does £120 buy and will the software save you that much or more time every month that you can use as productive chargeable time, also keeping better track of materials ensures they are all charged for
The simPRO software integrates with everything with no additional steps required but is this worth the asking price!
Only you can answer that one and it will probably take 12 - 24 months before you will really know
One thing is certain, I have to start using some form of management software as I can no longer keep spending hours every night manually filling forms out when a single software package can do it all for me in a matter of minutes.
Be prepared the software is not an instant fix and initially you have to spend the hours getting your existing info in and build the database with a a go live date in mind when you will move all your daily operations over to the software

What do they mean by implementation process, 3 days straight off just creates information overload I would rather have some sort of split so a 2 and 1 with a week or 2 between which gives you time to find all the questions and problems you have found

So can the software pay for itself how much of your time does £120 buy and will the software save you that much or more time every month that you can use as productive chargeable time, also keeping better track of materials ensures they are all charged for

Only you can answer that one and it will probably take 12 - 24 months before you will really know

Be prepared the software is not an instant fix and initially you have to spend the hours getting your existing info in and build the database with a a go live date in mind when you will move all your daily operations over to the software
I totally agree with everything you've said UNG and I've taken it all on board.

Looking at the simPRO package, as much as it may be a wonderful product which will save me a ton of time and effort in the office, I just cannot justify the asking price! A thousand pound juts to be trained and then a further £120+ a month on top is just not affordable for a business of my size.

I am looking back into the Fergus software now. It is the best of the bunch I've looked at by quite some margin so I'm currently building it up to test it's functionality. It does seem very capable and, at £35 a month, it's affordable too.
The £35 a month includes an app which, although limited in some ways, has enough functionality to be useful.

Watch this space for further updates for all those considering Job Management software.

Oh, and by the way, I've tried the Tradify software just for completeness and it is way behind where it needs to be.
In my personal opinion, it is the worst out of all I've tried up to date. There is no way these YouTuber fancy sparky channels are actually using the product they are advertising.

Looking at the simPRO package, as much as it may be a wonderful product which will save me a ton of time and effort in the office, I just cannot justify the asking price!
This is understandable and there needs to be a quantifiable return on the investment made, if you are looking to grow your business / employ others in the long term then there may be some gains to simPRO product once the business starts to grow
A thousand pound juts to be trained and then a further £120+ a month on top is just not affordable for a business of my size.
That is a bit steep and I do wonder how many enquiries simPRO actually turn into sales because of that
I am looking back into the Fergus software now. It is the best of the bunch I've looked at by quite some margin so I'm currently building it up to test it's functionality. It does seem very capable and, at £35 a month, it's affordable too.
The £35 a month includes an app which, although limited in some ways, has enough functionality to be useful.
Software will always improve and evolve from user feedback I don't know how long any of the software products you have looked at so far have been in the marketplace and how they have changed during that time
Watch this space for further updates for all those considering Job Management software.
Not that I'm looking for business software but I'm interested on how you prgress with this
Oh, and by the way, I've tried the Tradify software just for completeness and it is way behind where it needs to be.
In my personal opinion, it is the worst out of all I've tried up to date. There is no way these YouTuber fancy sparky channels are actually using the product they are advertising.
They don't call them influencers for nothing the money they earn from advertising one software might well be spent on another

Hi all.

I am pondering on the idea of using a job management software package for my business.
I have a large number of clients with many of them being repeat customers and I'm running myself into the ground with paperwork!
Tracking each job and what stage it is at is becoming a bit of a chore and is adding a lot of stress to my already busy day.
I've tried my best to organise each client into their own folder and sub folders but it's getting difficult to manage.
I'm a Sole Trader so I'm doing literally everything myself and I can't afford to go Ltd and employ somebody.

Are any of you guys using job management software like ServiceM8, Tradify or the like???
If so, what are your thoughts and is it worth it?

I've watched a number of intro videos on a few of them and they make it look so easy but something tells me that it ain't gonna be so simple.....

Cheers.
Hi there, I'm a bit late to reply but I can recommend xero too. Without it I'd be up to my neck in word documents. I'm looking into a Job Number allocation facility that's within the system too.

I don't want to hijack your thread but my problem is that I was dragged out of retirement to help out, so am very inexperienced in the ways of a good admin assistant. What is the best way to keep on top of where a job is up to? I'm not sure of the most effective way of doing it. I end up trawling through emails and trying to get a handle on it.

Sorry to butt in

Hi there, I'm a bit late to reply but I can recommend xero too. Without it I'd be up to my neck in word documents. I'm looking into a Job Number allocation facility that's within the system too.

I don't want to hijack your thread but my problem is that I was dragged out of retirement to help out, so am very inexperienced in the ways of a good admin assistant. What is the best way to keep on top of where a job is up to? I'm not sure of the most effective way of doing it. I end up trawling through emails and trying to get a handle on it.

Sorry to butt in
Hi,

Yeah, Xero is great accounting software but, as far as I'm aware, that's all it is good for really, accounting.

Your question about keeping on top of where a job is up to is the reason I started this post really.
I was really struggling to get to grips with not only where my jobs are currently up to but, and here's the most important one, have I been paid!
Here is a small snippet of the home page of the software I'm using, I can only show a very small section as the page contains sensitive information but essentially, this home page allows me to see where my jobs are currently at a glance.

Fergus Scheduling Snip.JPG

Now I've only just started using this software in the last couple of weeks so there are only a handful of jobs on there at the minute but you get the general idea.
I have found this software to be really helpful in allowing me to track a job from start to finish. I can add notes, files, certification , site pictures, RAMS, insurance docs etc etc to each individual job which the client can see via a portal.

Don't get me wrong, it takes a bit of getting used to and you'll need to commit some time to learn it but other than doing it manually as you are doing now, I don' think there is another way around job tracking.

Hi,

Yeah, Xero is great accounting software but, as far as I'm aware, that's all it is good for really, accounting.

Your question about keeping on top of where a job is up to is the reason I started this post really.
I was really struggling to get to grips with not only where my jobs are currently up to but, and here's the most important one, have I been paid!
Here is a small snippet of the home page of the software I'm using, I can only show a very small section as the page contains sensitive information but essentially, this home page allows me to see where my jobs are currently at a glance.

View attachment 100712

Now I've only just started using this software in the last couple of weeks so there are only a handful of jobs on there at the minute but you get the general idea.
I have found this software to be really helpful in allowing me to track a job from start to finish. I can add notes, files, certification , site pictures, RAMS, insurance docs etc etc to each individual job which the client can see via a portal.

Don't get me wrong, it takes a bit of getting used to and you'll need to commit some time to learn it but other than doing it manually as you are doing now, I don' think there is another way around job tracking.
OOH that looks interesting! Also terrifying. May I ask what you're using again please?

OOH that looks interesting! Also terrifying. May I ask what you're using again please?
Of course, I'm currently using software called Fergus. This software is the most user friendly and feature packed for it's price amongst the others I've tried. It takes some getting used to but if you stick with it, you'll be up and running in no time.

One thing I will mention though, it has a feature where you can add materials to each job and you can do this manually per job of course but the bets way to use it is to add "favourites". You can create specific list of items and group them into sub-categories, for example; Cables---Armoured/Fire Rated/Standard/LS/Singles etc etc.
Its good BUT it will take you some time to populate as you'll need to create a product code, product description, cost and retail cost (you can add your mark-up later). This feature will take up a lot of your time but is worth it as when you're filling out an estimate/quotation, you only have to type the start of the word and it will bring up suggestions.

Ultimately, like anything, the software is only as good as you design it to be. Put the hours in and it'll reward you.

Give it a try, they do a 14 day trial and their support is quite good. I had an hour long consultation with no obligation.
Its not perfect by any means but its better than spending hours manually file searching and inputting when its all there for you.

Good luck with whatever you try. 👍

Of course, I'm currently using software called Fergus. This software is the most user friendly and feature packed for it's price amongst the others I've tried. It takes some getting used to but if you stick with it, you'll be up and running in no time.

One thing I will mention though, it has a feature where you can add materials to each job and you can do this manually per job of course but the bets way to use it is to add "favourites". You can create specific list of items and group them into sub-categories, for example; Cables---Armoured/Fire Rated/Standard/LS/Singles etc etc.
Its good BUT it will take you some time to populate as you'll need to create a product code, product description, cost and retail cost (you can add your mark-up later). This feature will take up a lot of your time but is worth it as when you're filling out an estimate/quotation, you only have to type the start of the word and it will bring up suggestions.

Ultimately, like anything, the software is only as good as you design it to be. Put the hours in and it'll reward you.

Give it a try, they do a 14 day trial and their support is quite good. I had an hour long consultation with no obligation.
Its not perfect by any means but its better than spending hours manually file searching and inputting when its all there for you.

Good luck with whatever you try. 👍
Cheers me dears, I'll google Fergus. I'm too old for this :)

I use a notepad. A list of jobs I've been asked to do. When I complete a job I cross it off. Once every couple of weeks I rewrite the list including new work that has cone in but minus the jobs I've crossed off. I need it simple.
I respect that and if it works for you then I guess that's all that matters but how are you keeping track of all the paperwork?

E.I.C's. M.E.I.WC's, Part P Notifications, Invoices, Receipts, Quotes/Estimates/Variations, RAMS the list goes on and on.....

The software I have chosen allows me to store each document digitally against each individual job as well as add extra pics, notes, schedule changes etc etc.
I tried doing it your way and I ended up going in circles.

Good luck to you though, it sounds like you've got it all worked out. 👍

I respect that and if it works for you then I guess that's all that matters but how are you keeping track of all the paperwork?

E.I.C's. M.E.I.WC's, Part P Notifications, Invoices, Receipts, Quotes/Estimates/Variations, RAMS the list goes on and on.....

The software I have chosen allows me to store each document digitally against each individual job as well as add extra pics, notes, schedule changes etc etc.

I just had a Zoom meet with Fergus and found it is as limited as the rest

I use Xero and I need the integration with Xero (which it has)

I also need it to be able to let me have my own terms and conditions dosument that is part of a single pdf.
When I send an estimate in Xero it uses a word document formatted for Xero, which I can download and use to populate my own estimate
In other words when I send an estimate there are 7 pages (including 2 pages of cooling off legal stuff) that is added automatically on thje same pdf

I just had a Zoom meet with Fergus and found it is as limited as the rest

I use Xero and I need the integration with Xero (which it has)

I also need it to be able to let me have my own terms and conditions dosument that is part of a single pdf.
When I send an estimate in Xero it uses a word document formatted for Xero, which I can download and use to populate my own estimate
In other words when I send an estimate there are 7 pages (including 2 pages of cooling off legal stuff) that is added automatically on thje same pdf
Of course, it has it's limitations, they all do in some way shape or form but I found it to be the best out of the current crop of job management software packages at that price bracket.

I've already submitted a few support tickets/requests to better the software which I'm hoping they implement.

The main thing for me is that it has cut my paperwork time down by over half of what it was before.
This means I have more time to spend with my wife and kids so it's already paid for itself.

Your mileage may vary obviously. 👍

I must admit, my set up is not perfect. Been trading for 17 years and always wondered if there was a better way of managing all of the information/time/admin better. I have 2 problems with the idea of management software: 1) I'm tight fisted and don't want to pay for it. 2) I don't think I'd be disciplined enough to set it up and update it. These realise these are my personal flaws lol.

I use xero for accounts but not quoting - maybe I should.
Easycert for certs..
Outlook for emails.
Phone calender app for time management.
Notepad and brainpower for everything else.

Hmmmm, yes, it is a bit of a juggle. Might need to explore this a little further. Great thread by the way. Thanks.

I must admit, my set up is not perfect. Been trading for 17 years and always wondered if there was a better way of managing all of the information/time/admin better. I have 2 problems with the idea of management software: 1) I'm tight fisted and don't want to pay for it. 2) I don't think I'd be disciplined enough to set it up and update it. These realise these are my personal flaws lol.

I use xero for accounts but not quoting - maybe I should.
Easycert for certs..
Outlook for emails.
Phone calender app for time management.
Notepad and brainpower for everything else.

Hmmmm, yes, it is a bit of a juggle. Might need to explore this a little further. Great thread by the way. Thanks.
Thats more or less what we do
Easycert for certs
Outlook for email, calendar and notes
Dropbox for photos (could use outlook but son does not want his own photos uploading automatically - I shudder to think)

With Xero you can attach files to an invoice, so you can send the cert and the invoice at the same time

With Xero you can download a word document from their software, add your own stuff - terms etc and upload it.
This means you can have it all in one email

I also use Stripe for payments

Hi all.

I am pondering on the idea of using a job management software package for my business.
I have a large number of clients with many of them being repeat customers and I'm running myself into the ground with paperwork!
Tracking each job and what stage it is at is becoming a bit of a chore and is adding a lot of stress to my already busy day.
I've tried my best to organise each client into their own folder and sub folders but it's getting difficult to manage.
I'm a Sole Trader so I'm doing literally everything myself and I can't afford to go Ltd and employ somebody.

Are any of you guys using job management software like ServiceM8, Tradify or the like???
If so, what are your thoughts and is it worth it?

I've watched a number of intro videos on a few of them and they make it look so easy but something tells me that it ain't gonna be so simple.....

Cheers.
Just wanted to say that someone on here recommended Tradify to me and it's great (IMO). It links to xero for accounting purposes, and you can do everything on there, even EICRs. You get a two week trial period and then decide...if you go ahead with it, tell them I recommended it and we'll both get a discount!!

Just wanted to say that someone on here recommended Tradify to me and it's great (IMO). It links to xero for accounting purposes, and you can do everything on there, even EICRs. You get a two week trial period and then decide...if you go ahead with it, tell them I recommended it and we'll both get a discount!!
I tried tradify

The problem is that you cannot add terms and conditions outside the little box

The cooling off regulations require specific formatting in the law and you cannot do this in Tradify

I asked them about this and they had never heard about the cooling off regulations regarding work in peoples homes, this was the beginning of this year
They said they would 'feed it back'

Yes, it links with Xero.

I use Xero for my quotes as it allows me to download a word template and customize it for my individual needs - Tradify does not

See attached word document to this forum on cooling off stuff

Attachments

• sample cooling.docx
    28.1 KB · Views: 5
I tried tradify

The problem is that you cannot add terms and conditions outside the little box

The cooling off regulations require specific formatting in the law and you cannot do this in Tradify

I asked them about this and they had never heard about the cooling off regulations regarding work in peoples homes, this was the beginning of this year
They said they would 'feed it back'

Yes, it links with Xero.

I use Xero for my quotes as it allows me to download a word template and customize it for my individual needs - Tradify does not

See attached word document to this forum on cooling off stuff
Oh that's a shame, I wonder if I could feed both of those issues back to them?

Oh that's a shame, I wonder if I could feed both of those issues back to them?
I already fed it back last year and earlier this year ( I gave them 2 attempts).
You can add another pdf but cannot have the quote and all your terms in the format you want in a single pdf to go to the client
It needs to be a single document then people cannot say they never got the attachment with terms

Reply to Anybody using Job Management Software? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net