Discuss Anybody using Job Management Software? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You're right of course. I will be having a conversation with a SimPro rep on Monday about their software but my main concern is pricing really. It has to be justified vs the time I currently spend (which is hours) manually filling out paperwork.
If SimPro is too expensive, I'll opt for one of the more mainstream options and just make it work for me.
Either way, I'll be sure to report back with my findings for anybody else considering doing the same as me.
The problem is at the buying stage it can be difficult to justify the cost until you are 3, 6, or even 12 or more month's into using the software other thing to assess is how one piece of software will integrate or export it's information to other software packages as I mentioned in an earlier post as that is where the real time saving is to be found

As it happens, I'm on a 14 day trial with these guys at the moment. Still getting to grips with it. The only thing I've found I don't like up now about that is I can't seem to change/alter the layout of the quotation/estimate form. It's not as intuitive as YourTradeBase I'm also trying. YourTradeBase is much simpler to use but isn't as detailed.

As I said, they're all different and useful in their own way. :D
I was VERY unimpressed with Your Tradebase, I paid upfront for a month and when I decided not to continue with the subscription I could not get any access to the software (despite paying for it in advance)

Poor show

The problem is at the buying stage it can be difficult to justify the cost until you are 3, 6, or even 12 or more month's into using the software other thing to assess is how one piece of software will integrate or export it's information to other software packages as I mentioned in an earlier post as that is where the real time saving is to be found
Very true. The time it is taking me to input all the various values in each category is excessive but it's hard to know which one to actually spend time doing the data input to.

I understand that the software is an investment though and I do need to pick the correct one based on the criteria you suggested in an earlier post. :)

I was VERY unimpressed with Your Tradebase, I paid upfront for a month and when I decided not to continue with the subscription I could not get any access to the software (despite paying for it in advance)

Poor show
YourTradeBase was initially very refreshing as it was very simple to use and quite intuitive BUT it's the "simple" part of this sentence that describes the product. I have an info@ email address which is customised to my business but YTB won't integrate in into their software so I'm forced to use their generic email system which looks god awful! Not only that, there is a "I'm using YTB" logo at the bottom of every email so its a no go.
I do like the customisable quote/invoice layout function though, that's quite clever but that's it's main selling point for me.

Fergus is going in the bin too as this software doesn't allow for any customisation of your quotes/invoices at all. You're left with what the software designer thinks it should look like. I want my quotes/invoices/receipts to look professional as I feel that your documentation is a extension of your business and therefore if the quote/estimate looks like a child did it, you've no chance of winning the work. Fergus does a lot right though and maybe I'm missing a trick with it but I don't think it's for me.

I'm currently demoing JobLogic which is quite impressive! Very very detailed software with oodles of customisation. I love the client creation section as there are lots of options to add various people within an organisation and their specific roles and contact details. This one looks good up to now.
Their quotation/invoice section etc etc on the other hand will take some getting used to as, in order to customise the documents to your business, you have to upload a DocX letterheaded file and manually copy and paste the various bits of info over to it to act as a template. So lots of copying this sort of stuff:

@@CustomerName@@

@@CustomerFullAddress@@

@@CustomerReferenceNumber@@

@@CustomerAccountNumber@@

@@CustomerContactName@@

@@CustomerContactTelephone@@

@@CustomerContactEmail@@

@@CustomerBillingAddress@@

I'm not so sure yet.............

Frustrated with Fergus as it's quotation section is just too limited. I'll not bother trying with that anymore.
The only good thing Fergus does which none of the others can do is that it integrates with my existing email address.

JobLogic is really good but again, there is no option to integrate with your existing email set up. Plus, when it does sent an email it sends it as a Word DocX file which 1. looks crap and 2. is open to editing and 3. has a daft "powered by JobLogic" symbol as the footer.

If I was to continue to use it, I would have to download each file, convert it to a PDF then send it via my own email address which kind of the defeats the purpose of automation.

Not fully impressed with any of them up to now.

Frustrated with Fergus as it's quotation section is just too limited. I'll not bother trying with that anymore.
The only good thing Fergus does which none of the others can do is that it integrates with my existing email address.

JobLogic is really good but again, there is no option to integrate with your existing email set up. Plus, when it does sent an email it sends it as a Word DocX file which 1. looks crap and 2. is open to editing and 3. has a daft "powered by JobLogic" symbol as the footer.

If I was to continue to use it, I would have to download each file, convert it to a PDF then send it via my own email address which kind of the defeats the purpose of automation.

Not fully impressed with any of them up to now.
I am using Xero for this

They let you add a docx that is customisable to my own spec.

My quotes havd 6 pages after the inital cost which includes terms and also cooling off period stuff (legally requiured)

ALthough Xero does not do time management softwaer I find it works for me jost now, would I switch over to a software package that links to Xero and manages jobs etc- maybe

I know a heating engineer that used powered now (which I tried) and he found that once the first year is up the price hiked up quite a bit

So Xero and Outlook does it for me.
We also use dropbox for the photos (my son does not want to use One drive photo sync as he has his own photos he does not want to sync - I shudder to think)
So it all just about works.

I am using Xero for this

They let you add a docx that is customisable to my own spec.

My quotes havd 6 pages after the inital cost which includes terms and also cooling off period stuff (legally requiured)

ALthough Xero does not do time management softwaer I find it works for me jost now, would I switch over to a software package that links to Xero and manages jobs etc- maybe

I know a heating engineer that used powered now (which I tried) and he found that once the first year is up the price hiked up quite a bit

So Xero and Outlook does it for me.
We also use dropbox for the photos (my son does not want to use One drive photo sync as he has his own photos he does not want to sync - I shudder to think)
So it all just about works.
I might have to look into this a little more as this little rabbit hole is getting deeper and deeper the more I look.
It seems to me that the majority of these software packages are hampered in some way or another.

My accountant uses QuickBooks so it would make sense to use software that will integrate QuickBooks.

I know that Quickbooks offers a similar service to Xero so I'll take a look at that option too.

I am similar to you in that I like to provide as much detail as possible in my quotes/estimates so that there is no confusion over what my client is receiving as a service.
I am weak on T&C's though to be honest! I wouldn't even know where to start with that! ☺️

I tend to feel that, as a Sole Trader, clients don't seem to care about T&C's as I've never been asked to provide them.
They are 100% required though, I realise that.

Yeah, don't be messing with your son's pics on OneDrive! That'll not end well!

Last edited:
OK, this is what I use, and it's not perfect, and it's not integrated BUT it's free

For Estimates, Invoicing and bookkeeping (matching payments etc to bank account) I use FreeAgent , you can get it free if you have a business account with several high street banks. My accountant has full access to it, and it makes his job (and fee) minimal, as he can generate all sorts of financial reports

To keep track of jobs I use the free version of Trello, simply paste in a template to the card as I create it, and update it as a job moves through my process. It's pretty much the equivalent of the old T-Card system

And of course an online calendar, I use Apples, but Googles would do the same job.

I have looked at the available job management packages, and they don't offer much more apart from being integrated

OK, this is what I use, and it's not perfect, and it's not integrated BUT it's free

For Estimates, Invoicing and bookkeeping (matching payments etc to bank account) I use FreeAgent , you can get it free if you have a business account with several high street banks. My accountant has full access to it, and it makes his job (and fee) minimal, as he can generate all sorts of financial reports

To keep track of jobs I use the free version of Trello, simply paste in a template to the card as I create it, and update it as a job moves through my process. It's pretty much the equivalent of the old T-Card system

And of course an online calendar, I use Apples, but Googles would do the same job.

I have looked at the available job management packages, and they don't offer much more apart from being integrated
Hi Alan,

That's really helpful information bud. I haven't heard of the software you're using so I will do some research on this to see if I can introduce it into my work-flow.

Your method looks really interesting though so I'm intrigued. :)

Are you a Sole Trader or Ltd with employee's?

You know what, I'm really disheartened with this process as I thought it would be really straightforward thing - select a software package and just work with it but I've realised they all make promises but fail on delivery.

I have a telephone consultation with simPRO this morning so I'll update you all later on with the results of that but something tells me it's going to be their pricing that will prevent me from using it. I've heard that their minimum cost per month for the service is £70 which is a bit eye-watering BUT, if their software really does integrate everything then I think I could swallow that cost. Either way, it must be expensive as they don't advertise their prices ANYWHERE.

Ultimately, it's the time I lose to manually doing everything that is the critical thing here so I will have to consider all options.

I'll post back later on.

Hi Alan,

That's really helpful information bud. I haven't heard of the software you're using so I will do some research on this to see if I can introduce it into my work-flow.

You know what, I'm really disheartened with this process as I thought it would be really straightforward thing - select a software package and just work with it but I've realised they all make promises but fail on delivery.

I have a telephone consultation with simPRO this morning so I'll update you all later on with the results of that but something tells me it's going to be their pricing that will prevent me from using it. I've heard that their minimum cost per month for the service is £70 which is a bit eye-watering BUT, if their software really does integrate everything then I think I could swallow that cost. Either way, it must be expensive as they don't advertise their prices ANYWHERE.

Ultimately, it's the time I lose to manually doing everything that is the critical thing here so I will have to consider all options.

I'll post back later on.
For quotes I find Xero good

It takes a bit of time to add the items to products and services but once it is there that's it

Just had an email back from simPRO. Their pricing is as follows:

Enterprise

Monthly

Office LIcence @ £96/user per month (equates to £22 per week)

Mobile Licence @ £14/user per month

Annual Subscription

Office Licence @ £87/user per month (Equates to £20 per week)

Mobile Licence @ £12.50/user per month.

OUCH!!!

They offer full integration and training which is spread over 3 days.
This isn't an easy decision and my wife will kill me if she gets wind of these prices!!

They are 3 times more expensive than the average cost of the more well known software packages.

Thoughts guys?????

Reading though this thread if you pardon the term the thing that is clouding some aspects of these software packages is WHERE is YOUR and your customers data stored.
A question that may need some deeper research is how financially secure are these software companies if they go down and your data is in their "cloud" what happens next you lose your data and it could take your business down, for me I would be looking for a daily or weekly local data backup to your chosen media in some form that keeps your data accessible and not encrypted with their encryption key making it unusable
It was certainly much easier 30 or so years ago implementing and deploying software but the eye watering costs are still the same

Reading though this thread if you pardon the term the thing that is clouding some aspects of these software packages is WHERE is YOUR and your customers data stored.
A question that may need some deeper research is how financially secure are these software companies if they go down and your data is in their "cloud" what happens next you lose your data and it could take your business down, for me I would be looking for a daily or weekly local data backup to your chosen media in some form that keeps your data accessible and not encrypted with their encryption key making it unusable
It was certainly much easier 30 or so years ago implementing and deploying software but the eye watering costs are still the same
You make an extremely valid point UNG.

It's an important aspect that I failed to consider. I have heard horror stories of organisations that have decided to emigrate from a particular software package only to find that access to their customer base is denied.

I would have to ensure a manual back up of all client details is carried out as you suggest.

Excellent point UNG

Hi Alan,

I'll post back later on.
I am Ltd for tax reasons, but I'm the only electrician. I couldn't justify the cost of the packages to myself.
If you're at all familiar with the old T-Card system, then Trello can mimic that electronically, simple create a "card" then drag
it from column to column as it progresses through, "estimate sent," "waiting on material", "ready to do", "waiting on payment" etc. I add the booked date to the title and arrange them in date order in each column. Like I said it's not perfect but it's free,
Manage Your Team’s Projects From Anywhere | Trello - https://trello.com There is a paid for version with additional features, but I can live without it

And Freeagent is worth a look for estimates, invoicing etc (even does payroll) Easy-to-use accounting software for UK small businesses - https://www.freeagent.com/

I am Ltd for tax reasons, but I'm the only electrician. I couldn't justify the cost of the packages to myself.
If you're at all familiar with the old T-Card system, then Trello can mimic that electronically, simple create a "card" then drag
it from column to column as it progresses through, "estimate sent," "waiting on material", "ready to do", "waiting on payment" etc. I add the booked date to the title and arrange them in date order in each column. Like I said it's not perfect but it's free,
Manage Your Team’s Projects From Anywhere | Trello - https://trello.com There is a paid for version with additional features, but I can live without it

And Freeagent is worth a look for estimates, invoicing etc (even does payroll) Easy-to-use accounting software for UK small businesses - https://www.freeagent.com/
Cheers Alan.

I will look into this and see if I can make this work. It's all about being efficient with your time I suppose and anything that may help me manage my time a bit better will help.

I appreciate your input! :)

During my research, I came across this government scheme which may help some of you guys:

I am not eligible as I am not a registered business (Ltd) but some of you guys might benefit from the large savings if you're not already enrolled on some of the software packages on the list.

Hi guys,

Just thought I would update those who are interested.

Had a chat with a lad called Joe at simPRO on Friday about their software and he took me through a demo which was quite interesting. It seems to tick every box really and will integrate with everything I currently use and more.
The layout is very similar to all the other packages I've tried and looks simple enough to use but, like any new software, it will take a good while to get get the best out of it. I'm really interested but the price is significantly higher than the regular stuff.
It is the sort of software that grows as your business does due to the massive functionality of it and would be great foundation to build upon.

Here is the process:

Firstly, you have to go through their "implementation" process. For me that's 3 days worth of somebody walking me through the software and how to use it. Personally, for a small business like mine, I feel that 3 days is excessive and would probably only need 1 day as I will only be using around 25% of the features.

These days are billed at £700 per day with a current "offer" of half price if you book before a certain date (typical sales tactics) so a grand total of £1050 for 3 days.

Then there's the monthly subscription cost which is billed at £104 per month inclusive of VAT. This is for the Office package.
There is an additional mobile version that ties in with the office version for an extra £16.80 a month inclusive of VAT.
So, if I was to go for both office and mobile (which Joe of course suggests) then that would be £120.80 a month tied in for 12 month contract. £1449.60 a year.

When you look at the other more common products, they average around £45 a month (£540 a year) but, as I have found, each one I have used has it's drawbacks which would add extra work needed so they are not an ideal choice.

The simPRO software integrates with everything with no additional steps required but is this worth the asking price!

One thing is certain, I have to start using some form of management software as I can no longer keep spending hours every night manually filling forms out when a single software package can do it all for me in a matter of minutes.

Reply to Anybody using Job Management Software? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock