Discuss are cables with 240 volts allowed to be clipped direct in zone 1 of bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Watters

the periodic report reports cables clipped direct in zone 1 illegal. cables supply a water heater and a wall heater. thanks in advance. the cables run lower than the 2.5 meters allowed in zone one

the periodic report reports cables clipped direct in zone 1 illegal. cables supply a water heater and a wall heater. thanks in advance. the cables run lower than the 2.5 meters allowed in zone one

Far from an ideal setup, what kind of bathroom is this, Reg wise, it really does focus on equipment, switchgear and accessories but cant say for definate there is not one there but not something i have come accross, last thing i would want to share my shower with is a cable, what if rubber ducky damaged it!!

In hindsight, i would say get it in some decent containment outside the zone, sounds like it looks like a pigsear anyway so anything would look better and of course comply

Last edited:
Yes they can be clipped direct.
The 16th had a requirement that cables could cross a higher number zone to reach equipment in a lower numbered zone, but not the other way around.
Obviously the cables are required to be suitable for the environment they are in.

As Spin has said, yes it's OK but assumes that the cable itself is intact and robust, with the main environmental effects of heat and moisture having been taken into account.

If someone has flagged it on a report as a failure just because it's there, then they need to go back to Sparky school.

It may have been coded because the vertical runs terminate inside the equipment or accessory without the use of cable glands, sealed entry or drip loops, thus allowing condensation to run down the cable and directly into the equipment or accessory.

I hate it when people use the word Illegal on a cert, perhaps it makes the person writing it feel more important.
The whole point of an inspection is about safety not handing out points and a fine by the shower police.

The biggest 'illegal crime' with PIR's is people that will ham them up and blow things out of all proportion just because they think they can then get work to fix it off the back of it.

I saw one yesterday at a property - a certain well-known South based DNO contracting company had given a place an inspection period of 3 years. I could find sweet fa wrong with the place to not be a 10. Only possible reason? Frighten the old dear into parting with more money more often.

If something is a genuine code 1, then you're meant to make-safe - comprende? So don't go telling me that a code 4 is a 1, all that will happen is the red mist will descend and you'll exit via the window.

ok the cables are 2.5 t+e.one runs across zone one to a hand wash heater the other goes to a water heater mounted on the wall in zone one. the funny thing is the guy who done the report failed to mention that no rcd protection is provided to any circuits in any of the bathrooms. the other cable in the zone 1 provides power to the water heater which is about 1 meter tall and 700mm wide.quite old.the cable comes down the wall and goes into the bottom of the heater. i dont think the old heater is water proof. i guess the best thing is to move the heaters

Reply to are cables with 240 volts allowed to be clipped direct in zone 1 of bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net