Discuss Bathroom mirror lights don't work without main light switched on in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete77

-
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if there is a more appropriate forum, I just can't seem to find a definitive answer!

I have 2 bathrooms, each of which has a mains-wired mirror with lights, shaver socket and demister. Downstairs, the mirror lights etc. only work if the main light is switched on. Upstairs, the mirror works independently of the main light.

I'm assuming the latter is the correct setup? i.e. the mirror should work without the main light on. If so, can anyone suggest a likely reason for the downstairs mirror working that way?

Any advise appreciated
P

Well worth signing up to the forum for that calibre of advice! :p

Perhaps I should have asked 'can anyone suggest why it might have been wired like that?' The neighbour's bathroom is wired the same way.

It sounds like someone made a mistake either at 1st or 2nd fix.

Correcting it could be as simple as altering wiring at a switch or may need part of the circuit rewired

Impossible to tell which from here.

Well worth signing up to the forum for that calibre of advice! :p

Perhaps I should have asked 'can anyone suggest why it might have been wired like that?' The neighbour's bathroom is wired the same way.
Probably when they were fitted the permanent live was not accessible and they could only tap into the switched live to avoid major disruption and damage to the decor.

Should be easy fixed if you can find where it is connected to the lighting circuit and connect it to the permanent live rather than switched

Hi,

I think it was a stress mistake made by the electrician. The reason for the udesired behavior of lighting downstairs is because: live wire that must be headed to mirror switch is taken from the output terminal of the previous main switch instead of taking it directly from live feeding the entire bathroom lighting. On the surface mounted box in which the main switch takes place, notice the output terminal (screwdrive junction) it must contain 2 red wires. If you could identify which of refers to the mirror, detach it from where it is and plug it to the other terminal. This is while assuming you have SPST switches.

Dj

Reply to Bathroom mirror lights don't work without main light switched on in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock