Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

07.15 this morning, i watched out of the bedroom window in trepidation, but i need not have worriied.the sun still rose n the east and the darkness faded. phew!
Be careful up there Tel. Boris obviously has the interests of of the north at the forefront of his mind as he's sending all the returnees from China to quarantine in Liverpool! ;)

:disappointed:.

Bad for the environment.
Bad for our children's future.
A sad day.
sorry happy, had to give you a disagree. can't see anything bad from Brexit. this morning was loads of panic buyers in aldi, thinking prices would rise. 100 yards down the road, Sainsbury's have reduced fuel by 5p/L. we need to wait and see what happens, but I predict alll goood. and as a footnote.....

well done Boris. to boldly go where no man has gone before, with the guts to see it through.

bit of luck the spanish armada will have to go back to fishing it's own waters now. a golden opportunity for pirate to raid without losing sight of his balcony.

Not a chance

People have short memories.
The UK government sold out fishing in 1970's to get better access for financial services, same thing will happen again

If there is one constant it is that Westminster will do what is best for London, the SE of England and the financial markets and to hell with the rest of the UK

That's why as a Scot i want out.

Well we’ll really have to wait until 1st January 2021, to see what the queues at Aldi are like, and the price of fuel at Tesco’s.

I have a snicking suspicion that the EU will play hard ball again, on any trade deal etc.

Other wise they’ll have to deal with a Swiexit, Italiexit, Nexit etc.
[automerge]1580569702[/automerge]
That's why as a Scot i want out.

You could always ask @pirate if you can stay on his balcony. I’m sure he won’t mind. :)

So far, in this thread, I am clearly in the minority.
however, as JK's strapline quote says:
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people things they do not want to hear. ~ George Orwell
Source URL: Brexit. We’re out! - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/brexit-were-out.182952/

I am sorry we have left, cannot condone the burning of the EU flag when the other members were dignified in their farewell gestures, and my show of friendship will continue to fly from my balcony!
View attachment 55517

I agree - people forget what the EU did (or made the UK government do)

• Scrap EU roaming charges
  • Bring in the EHIC - giving all EU citizens reciprocal access to health when away in the EEA / EU
  • Part time worker rights - holiday pay etc
  • Cooling off period for phone contracts and many goods
  • Appliances with plugs on them
  • ATOL scheme to prevent money loss when a holiday firm goes bust
  • Free movement (see hundreds of thousands of UK nationals in Spain)
  • Scrap credit card charges
  • Stop sites adding on extras (like insurance)
[automerge]1580570142[/automerge]
Well we’ll really have to wait until 1st January 2021, to see what the queues at Aldi are like, and the price of fuel at Tesco’s.

I have a snicking suspicion that the EU will play hard ball again, on any trade deal etc.

Other wise they’ll have to deal with a Swiexit, Italiexit, Nexit etc.
[automerge]1580569702[/automerge]

It's not about hard ball-
If we are in the single market and customs union then we get the benefits (as well as the perceived draw backs)

If we are not in we don't get it

What the UK wants is all the benefits of the EU without the obligations

A scnario:

Local Cricket club

Member : I want to opt out of the rules other members have or I may leave
Club: OK then

Later
Member : I want more opt outs and I want a rebate on my membership fee
Club: OK then

Member : We have voted to leave
OK : Give your notice

Member: Now I am out can I still get the benefits without any commitments?
Club : No- you cannot have your cake and eat it if you are not a member

We went from having the best deal in the EU to going to have a crap Canada + deal (with little or no services agreement)

The UK will still blame the EU anyway- why stop now.

Last edited:
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to sell people thongs they do not want to wear.
Sorry, JK, couldn't resist that!

Anyway, it seems I will have to pull my socks up if I am going to continue supporting the EU...
Brexit. We’re out! socks - EletriciansForums.net

When I went out for dinner last night, the restaurant owner gave my table a free bottle of wine as a gesture of friendship. One might construe this as a bribe, of course!
Nevertheless, it was consumed in the spirit of cooperation...by me, as the others were driving!

sorry happy, had to give you a disagree. can't see anything bad from Brexit. this morning was loads of panic buyers in aldi, thinking prices would rise. 100 yards down the road, Sainsbury's have reduced fuel by 5p/L. we need to wait and see what happens, but I predict alll goood. and as a footnote.....

well done Boris. to boldly go where no man has gone before, with the guts to see it through.
That's alright Tel. There's huge disagreement about Brexit (and that's fine) but the main thing is for people to still get on with each other :)

I agree - people forget what the EU did (or made the UK government do)

• Scrap EU roaming charges
  • Bring in the EHIC - giving all EU citizens reciprocal access to health when away in the EEA / EU
  • Part time worker rights - holiday pay etc
  • Cooling off period for phone contracts and many goods
  • Appliances with plugs on them
  • ATOL scheme to prevent money loss when a holiday firm goes bust
  • Free movement (see hundreds of thousands of UK nationals in Spain)
  • Scrap credit card charges
  • Stop sites adding on extras (like insurance)
[automerge]1580570142[/automerge]

It's not about hard ball-
If we are in the single market and customs union then we get the benefits (as well as the perceived draw backs)

If we are not in we don't get it

We went from having the best deal in the EU to going to have a crap Canada + deal (with little or no services agreement)

The UK will still blame the EU anyway- why stop now.
Roughly 50% of our trade is currently with the EU, and 50% ish outside. But trade is a two way thing, so these EU counties we trade with are going to loose out as well, if there's no deal; there will be one eventually.

Of course everyone seeks the best deal, its business. But if we sail off into the sunset, making a nice tidy some (if), then it will be the death knell for the EU. Thats why they will play hard ball.

PS How's your Spanish :)

@ baldelectrician:

think back.
once upon a time we had a good deal going with new Zealand lamb and butter. once in the ECM that stopped, prices rocketed just to stockpile the products to subsidise french surrender monkeys.

we were promised the removal of tariffs, so we could buy goods from europe. smokes never came down in price to match europe. still cost 5 x as much as (e.g. spain). we never were allowed to buy abroad without paying huge import UK duty.

most of our fishing industry (and that affected Scotland worst) was decimated by allowing the frnch and spanish to fish our waters.

the NHS is swamped by freeloaders from europe courtesy of the eu.

there's more, but i can't be arsed.

Tel, I hear what you are saying...
we did once have a great deal on New Zealand lamb, and at the same time our own farmers were slaughtering their sheep and bulldozing them into huge landfill "graves" because we couldn't compete on price.
The Spanish buy our shellfish at a great price, which is good for us, but it's more than we are prepared to pay.
Markets are fickle.
On the up-side, smokes are still much cheaper here in Spain, as is the booze...but I won't be going to Magaluff anytime soon!

our own farmers were slaughtering their sheep and bulldozing them into huge landfill "graves" because we couldn't compete on price.

greedy english farmers. how they could not compete on price with something that is shipped 12,000 miles is beyond me. just look at the price of lamb these days. eye-watering over £10/kg.

Why buy nz lamb and ship it across the world? Last time I looked, we could grow sheep here. (Any Welshman want to confirm that?)

We don’t know what’s going to happen. And whatever does happen, we don’t know if it would have been better or worse if we stayed in anyway.
The result didn’t go the way I personally voted, but I’m not going to waste time demonstrating on the streets or burning flags or whatever.
As long as we don’t end up being the 52nd state of America, we’ll be fine.

there are 50 stats in the USA Hawaii being the last one the 50th. that's where the TV prog . got it's name ... Hawaii 50. think the 49th was Alaska. hence the gold rush guys called the 49'ers.
if you look at the American flag, there's 13 stripes for the original 13 states, and 50 stars for the existing. back in the days of WWII, there were 48 stars,

So far, in this thread, I am clearly in the minority.
however, as JK's strapline quote says:
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people things they do not want to hear. ~ George Orwell
Source URL: Brexit. We’re out! - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/brexit-were-out.182952/

I am sorry we have left, cannot condone the burning of the EU flag when the other members were dignified in their farewell gestures, and my show of friendship will continue to fly from my balcony!
View attachment 55517
Respect to both sides of the conversation but you brought up a very relevant problem with the EU, it was no longer a trading body, it was turning into an empire that the voter had no control of, a trading body does not have a national anthem if it's not a wannabe nation nor does it have a national flag, although the burning of that flag was just a select random few people it seems that stigma has been attached to any brexiteer, let me clarify that you cannot paint the masses with the acts of a few that the biased media who put this to the public with the same paint brush, maybe you should be attacking the media here and not those who voted in general for brexit.

Indeed and why not? People have not forgotten anything on your list. There is more to consider than those benefits, if they can really be called that. The price of those benefits is to have an unelected bureaucracy and ceding of powers to foreign entities with the attendant loss of sovereignty. Too higher price in my opinion, for mere baubles in fact. Something like the Island of Manhattan being traded for a case of whisky and beads.
That same sovereignty that decided with an overwhelming majority to vote for a parliament that would enact the will of the electorate recently. Don't misunderstand this I am all for trade with any country that will enrich us. I just don't want to live under unaccountable, unelected and spendthrift miscreants.

I'll just add here that Canada and Japan were given 90% of the benefits without the obligations, the uk trades 10 times more than either of these countries, the Idea that the EU would punish us while we now have such a strong hand is simply ridiculous, yes we will see the same rhetoric and predictions all from globalism sources but you just need to look at the last 3 years to realise none of it ever came true ... the cornerstone of most of the remain camp arguments in the early days... seems they still haven't learnt any lessons and follow pollsters that have repeatedly predicted wrong.

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock