Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

@ baldelectrician:

think back.
once upon a time we had a good deal going with new Zealand lamb and butter.
UK farmers were at a disadvantage due to subsidised meat from NZ

once in the ECM that stopped, prices rocketed just to stockpile the products to subsidise french surrender monkeys.
The EU introduced import duties to protect EU farmers from meat at below market cost coming in

we were promised the removal of tariffs, so we could buy goods from europe.
Yep - that happened, that's why many companies that make stuff here (such as car manufacturers have 'just in time' supply chains as the internal market works

smokes never came down in price to match europe.
UK government set UK excise duty - how is that still the fault of the EU ?
still cost 5 x as much as (e.g. spain). we never were allowed to buy abroad without paying huge import UK duty.
UK government set UK excise duty - how is that still the fault of the EU ?

most of our fishing industry (and that affected Scotland worst) was decimated by allowing the frnch and spanish to fish our waters.
That was Ted Heath (UK prime minister) who sold out the fishing industry- see below

the NHS is swamped by freeloaders from europe courtesy of the eu.
Almost ALL the EU persons in UK hospitals are staff who work, live and treat eternally greatful UK citizens

there's more, but i can't be arsed.

That was Ted Heath (UK prime minister) who sold out the fishing industry- see below
[automerge]1580606791[/automerge]
I'll just add here that Canada and Japan were given 90% of the benefits without the obligations, the uk trades 10 times more than either of these countries, the Idea that the EU would punish us while we now have such a strong hand is simply ridiculous, yes we will see the same rhetoric and predictions all from globalism sources but you just need to look at the last 3 years to realise none of it ever came true ... the cornerstone of most of the remain camp arguments in the early days... seems they still haven't learnt any lessons and follow pollsters that have repeatedly predicted wrong.

The Canada deal does not include services, quite a high proportion of the UK economy is services
[automerge]1580606792[/automerge]
I'll just add here that Canada and Japan were given 90% of the benefits without the obligations, the uk trades 10 times more than either of these countries, the Idea that the EU would punish us while we now have such a strong hand is simply ridiculous, yes we will see the same rhetoric and predictions all from globalism sources but you just need to look at the last 3 years to realise none of it ever came true ... the cornerstone of most of the remain camp arguments in the early days... seems they still haven't learnt any lessons and follow pollsters that have repeatedly predicted wrong.

The Canada deal does not include services, quite a high proportion of the UK economy is services

The 4 pillars of the EU market are
Free movement of:
  1. Goods
  2. Services
  3. Money
  4. People
You don't get 1 and 2 and 3 without taking 4

Last edited:
It's about 80% of our economy MW, it's things like banking, (so that's basically the city of London) insurance, legal stuff, architecture etc.

I see that, but I also read that the definition of service 'industries' is quite wide. I also read that London itself generates 22% of the UK's GDP. I was wondering what the % figure for Edinburgh is? (figures from Wikipedia, so I'm being careful).

brexit is only about 80% efficient. we still have push bikers in lycra clogging up the narrow roads and lanes, 3 abreast when the highway code says "on narrow or busy roads, ride in single file".
still got anorexic joggers pounding the pavements, training for their next heart attack.
suits in london still raping the real workers to line theit shiny suit pockets.

still, a step in the right direction. anyone wearing a suit to work should be shot. o_O o_O o_O

I voted out for my children and grandchildren, alas all too bloody late.

Reminds me of a canvas session in the Yes campaign
A pensioner said she was voting NO for her grandchildren, the reply was 'You must really dislike them'
[automerge]1580648753[/automerge]
I see that, but I also read that the definition of service 'industries' is quite wide. I also read that London itself generates 22% of the UK's GDP. I was wondering what the % figure for Edinburgh is? (figures from Wikipedia, so I'm being careful).

The UK GERS figures are deliberately guesswork

One example
If you land langoustines at Peterhead and put them on a truck to France through an English port it's classed as an English export, take the same items and fly them from Aberdeen to Paris then it's a Scottish export.

Almost all Scottish exports go through an English port.

Reminds me of a canvas session in the Yes campaign
A pensioner said she was voting NO for her grandchildren, the reply was 'You must really dislike them'
[automerge]1580648753[/automerge]

One example
If you land langoustines at Peterhead and put them on a truck to France through an English port it's classed as an English export, take the same items and fly them from Aberdeen to Paris then it's a Scottish export.

Almost all Scottish exports go through an English port.
if sturgeon has her evil way, Scotland would end up with the euro, totally dependent on the unelected mob at brussels and end up in the same pickle as Greece

Agreed, I guess the sums being so large it’s difficult to get sensible exact figures. But it does seem that England provides the lions share of making money, as opposed to a much smaller contribution from Scotland. And London seems to provide most of the income for England.

So if the ‘high proportion of the UK economy is services’, and that service is provided by London (and England), how will Scotland be financially viable to survive on her own. And I’m not trying to be condescending. I read that the oil reserves are dwindling, and that a majority of Scotland’s trade is with England. Granted trade is a two way thing; but as the UK moves on with new trade deals, an independent Scotland might have to find new trade partners.

it's only brexit that stops us being made to drive on the wrong side of the road. that would have been the next eu directive.
now it should be bye, bye kilometers, bye, bye brown/black/grey. bye,bye spanish and french fish grabbers.

Agreed, I guess the sums being so large it’s difficult to get sensible exact figures. But it does seem that England provides the lions share of making money, as opposed to a much smaller contribution from Scotland. And London seems to provide most of the income for England.

So if the ‘high proportion of the UK economy is services’, and that service is provided by London (and England), how will Scotland be financially viable to survive on her own. And I’m not trying to be condescending. I read that the oil reserves are dwindling, and that a majority of Scotland’s trade is with England. Granted trade is a two way thing; but as the UK moves on with new trade deals, an independent Scotland might have to find new trade partners.

Scotland has 20%-30% of Europe's renewable potential, this will make money (and green money) at a very good rate

Currently we produce lots more electricity, gas, oil than we use (these figures are not counted in GERS) which will help the perceived defecate

The bottom line- if Scotland was actually bleeding them dry why is Westminster fighting tooth and nail to keep Scotland in a toxic relationship.

Services by their nature (computers and people) are easily moved, when Scotland goes independent there will be a move of companies so they can stay in the EU

As far as the referendum goes I think we wait until next year to see the manure meet the air conditioning as Boris (remember the guy who could not arrange Big Ben to bong in Friday night) fails to deliver the goods and blames the EU (for being consistent)

In the Scottish opinion poll over 70% of over 65's intend to vote NO to indy again where it is well over 60% for people under 60.

We need to wait for time as over 30,000 people 'move on' each year in Scotland.

The bottom line- if Scotland was actually bleeding them dry why is Westminster fighting tooth and nail to keep Scotland in a toxic relationship.

To save the Union.

The Welsh, God bless em, couldn’t survive on their own. I think England on its own, would find things difficult.

We’ve worked together well for a couple of hundred years, fought wars together.

I've had quite a few Scottish friends over the years, my grandfather was Scottish.

If the Scots do go independent, it will be a sad day.

To save the Union.
If the Scots do go independent, it will be a sad day.

Some may find it sad but at least it should be up to the Scottish Parliament to decide if Scotland should have a referendum rather than Westminster forcing Scotland to stay by denying any referendum in Scotland
[automerge]1580660925[/automerge]
Remember (either here or in another thread) I mentioned that the EU attitude will change to Scottish independence once the UK becomes a third country

Donald Tusk has now broken his silence on Scottish independence

He would be trying to show how supportive they'd be of a Scottish application. They've just had one significant contributor leave; they can't survive another country leaving, the whole thing would collapse.

A scnario:

Local Cricket club

Member : I want to opt out of the rules other members have or I may leave
Club: OK then

Later
Member : I want more opt outs and I want a rebate on my membership fee
Club: OK then

Member : We have voted to leave
OK : Give your notice

Member: Now I am out can I still get the benefits without any commitments?
Club : No- you cannot have your cake and eat it if you are not a member

We went from having the best deal in the EU to going to have a crap Canada + deal (with little or no services agreement)

The UK will still blame the EU anyway- why stop now.

Where's the great deal when you're paying to subsidise the subs of the other members?

A little simple scenario,

If I'm buying the round, at least let my have a say in what I drink.

@baldelectrician

The services industry when in the EU had unlimited access to millions of EU citizens which consequently drove wages down, in leaving the EU the EU will not in any way block access to their workers as it often sees financial gain across Europe as well as reducing unemployment rate which is a major issue in many of the EU nations, the UK now will only offer jobs if we have a shortage, this has 2 effects, it will increase wages as well as protect British jobs, this position that Brexit is somehow negative because of the service industry is unfounded unless you wish to enlighten me which I am all too willing to see differing opinions... the losers here are the EU and big corporations that used cheap labour, the winners are the UK with more job opportunities, better wages and consequently more money returning into our own economy.

Last edited:
As you will have gathered, I voted remain. I am sad we have left. It's been a long union, and i regret its passing.
You will know that Scotland generally voted to remain, hence wee Nicola's claim we were dragged out by England against our will. Thus, she now sees the chance for independence by selling the idea that we, Scotland, could rejoin the EU, if we have another independence referendum, free ourselves from England and the rest of the UK, even though this would make Scotland an "island" with no direct land link to Europe.
Scotland has its own part to play inthe UK economy, and to me, the idea of breaking away from UK is ill-advised and frankly stupid. Why break yet another union, a far older one?
Like the small minority of people who burned the EU flag on Friday, there are some idiots in Scotland who wish to tell our English and Welsh and Irish neighbours to **** off. These are the people who will ruin everything, and i want no part of such a conspiracy.
The puerile hatred of the English is a matter of extreme distaste to me, but I am pretty sure it is fomented by certain sectors of the Scottish people who have no intelligence, contribute nothing to the economy or society, and quite frankly are happy in their hatred so long as they still get their benefits. Yes, there are such people in the rest of the UK who have "hate" instincts, but you will not find many of them in proper society. They disgrace themselves abroad, and at home, and at sporting events everywhere. let's not bow to any pressure from such people. I may have voted "remain", but I will certainly not vote to separate my country from the rest of the UK. Division is weak, imho, and our United Kingdom is better that way...united.

As you will have gathered, I voted remain. I am sad we have left. It's been a long union, and i regret its passing.
You will know that Scotland generally voted to remain, hence wee Nicola's claim we were dragged out by England against our will. Thus, she now sees the chance for independence by selling the idea that we, Scotland, could rejoin the EU, if we have another independence referendum, free ourselves from England and the rest of the UK, even though this would make Scotland an "island" with no direct land link to Europe.
Scotland has its own part to play in the UK economy, and to me, the idea of breaking away from UK is ill-advised and frankly stupid. Why break yet another union, a far older one?
Like the small minority of people who burned the EU flag on Friday, there are some idiots in Scotland who wish to tell our English and Welsh and Irish neighbours to **** off. These are the people who will ruin everything, and i want no part of such a conspiracy.
The puerile hatred of the English is a matter of extreme distaste to me, but I am pretty sure it is fomented by certain sectors of the Scottish people who have no intelligence, contribute nothing to the economy or society, and quite frankly are happy in their hatred so long as they still get their benefits. Yes, there are such people in the rest of the UK who have "hate" instincts, but you will not find many of them in proper society. They disgrace themselves abroad, and at home, and at sporting events everywhere. let's not bow to any pressure from such people. I may have voted "remain", but I will certainly not vote to separate my country from the rest of the UK. Division is weak, imho, and our United Kingdom is better that way...united.

Well said, Pirate.

That was Ted Heath (UK prime minister) who sold out the fishing industry

Yes... but in the 70's we were in a very different position... joining the EEC and surrendering fishing did actually make sense then.
[automerge]1580684159[/automerge]
...anyone wearing a suit to work should be shot.

Didn't the Irish navvies buy a new suit every Saturday to go out in during the evening and wear to church the next day... then wear it for work during the week then repeat the routine the next week ?

Last edited:

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock