Discuss Connection behind bathroom mirror? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B1gSte

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Could someone please explain how an LED bathroom mirror with shaver socket should be connected to the mains?
My interpretation of the regs is that a fused spur must be outside the zones.
However, can the flex be connected in the void behind the mirror and by what means?
I am not making the connection myself. This is part of an extension build (en suite) and I’m just trying to make sure that everything is in the wall ready before the boards go over the studwork.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

if it comes from the lighting circuit, no FCU required. cable direct from lighting in attic to connect to mirror flex or terminals.

Thanks for your quick replies. So to verify. No FCU required.

Nebu1a, so to verify. Is the connection plate permitted behind the mirror above the basin?

Edit: Does cable need to be run in conduit?

Thanks

Thanks Wilko there is a B6 switch for both the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits at the CU. Is that what you refer to?

How close is the mirror to the shower or bath?

Also as the flex outlet plate is behind the mirror, which I am assuming needs tools to remove, it could be argued that the flex outlet plate is out of zones anyway.

It is standard practice to fit illuminated mirrors on the lighting circuit. Do the MIs state it needs to be on a fused spur?

I don't get why the customer needs to check for wiring provisions and RCD protection.
When I do a bathroom fit the customer tells me they are having a mirror and I do all that myself.

The existing CU has only a 63A 30mA RCCB on the kitchen and house ring mains.
The other side of the CU has a load of miniature circuit breaker type switches that stats NOT protected by RCCB.

However, I already have an electrician on standby to replace the whole CU as the meter box has been relocated to outside. So the present set up is temporary.

So on the assumption that he will replace to present standards, I just need to know what connection to use behind the mirror.

In answer to question above, the mirror can be lifted off the bracket without tools.
The basin unit with mirror above is next to the shower screen. Shower is 800 x 1200. Centre of sink is 400mm from shower screen.

Andy78. The boards are going up shortly I just need to make sure I have made provision for the electrician when I get him round to do all the rest of the extension including kitchen and new CU. Thanks.

Last edited:
What about if I put a conduit in the wall with a piece of string through from above so that the electrician can pull a cable (or the long flex of the mirror) through it later?

Thanks Nebu1a that’ll do for me!
The mirror is one of those Hudson Reed LED things with a swipe sensor switch for the lights, a shave socket and a demister pad. It is shown above a sink in all the marketing ads. I know this doesn’t necessarily mean anything. It says IP44 on the back, which i have read (on here I think IIRC) is suitable for zone 2.

Thanks again.

I'd just leave the cable hanging (not energised of course) out of the wall. Then when you, sorry your electrician comes to test - inspect - connect wall cabinet/mirror, it'll go straight inside the fitting.

However, if its one of those luminaires that comes with a pre-installed flex, which is difficult to remove, I'd go with one of those aforementioned alternatives.

Reply to Connection behind bathroom mirror? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock