Discuss Panel heaters and pilot wires - how do they work? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’ve been asked to replace a faulty panel heater. Existing model is a Creda RF/E420. It’s in a flat that was built 5-10 years ago. It has panel heaters in every room which are controlled from a central programmer.

The flex from the FCU going into the heater has 4-cores: L, N and E in the usual colours, plus a black wire. I’m guessing the black wire will be a pilot wire that tells the heater when to turn on and off. Am I right?

The panel heater was discontinued a few years ago. Can I replace the heater with any panel heater that takes a pilot wire, or does it have to be the same model, or what? Don’t really understand pilot wires (yet).

Thanks in anticipation.

at a guess, the black might be a permanent L for some purpose. if they have a timer. it will be to run the timer clock.

i would speak with Creda technical and hear it from the horses mouth IMO... you know your not wasting any further time or money for the sake of a phone call, sure they will be happy to advise.

Reply to Panel heaters and pilot wires - how do they work? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I’m running wires to the basement for future basement finishing. I’d like to add two circuits of outlets (one on the finished side and one on the...
Replies
Views
Been round to a house to quote to replace some storage heaters for new panel heaters and came across a strange (to me at least) way of wiring the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Question is regarding a recently purchased property in Central Texas, which includes a 27KW tankless electric water heater. It is four...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m after a bit of advice regarding wifi/secondary router. Data is not a strong point of mine so any advice would be very much...
Replies
Views
Looking for a bit of advice from the wider audience / those who may have done similar before. I entered the game a bit later / in a non...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock