Discuss part p assessment and GN3 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MTI

Hi all, has anyone very recently passed their part p assessment (would help if with elecsa)?

I have guidance note 3 which includes 1997 amd no 2 and have my assessment in a couple of weeks. Now i notice mine is outdated by many but i would really ike to know if i need to upgrade my copy for the purpose of my assessment?

my main concern is you can now pre-order the 2011 GN3 with amd 1 and im sick of shelling out money at the minute as we all are!

cheers guys

martin

Last edited by a moderator:
I was nt allowed to use GN3 on mine(I got said book out).
Regs and OSG my friend.. Save your pennies xmas is coming :D

Sorry for confusion guys! elecsa state you must have GN3 for assessment - must own it and know how to use it and comply with it.
my GN3 is 1997 with ammendment 2
we are currently on 17th edition GN3 which is 5th edition of GN3
You can now currently pre order 17th edition GN3 edition 6 (2011 amd 1 to comply with green bs7671)

It would be a waste to buy the current 5th edition!

Electrical reference documents (BS7671, Electricity at Work, On site guide etc)<<<<<<<<< from elecsa webby?
I took mine(gn3) from my bag on assessment and was told to use regs/Osg.....

oh poop - you might be right! im just in a panic over it all! :(
i have all the mentioned books in your list so im ok on that and just checked elecsa again and funnily enough, i didnt see it mention GN3. Maybe i read it under their requirements for their PIR assessment! oh yes - another assessment to do PIR's! no wonder they ask how much you charge customers im told?!
i added a comment here if anyone wishes to add to it too
http://www.electriciansforums.net/i...spections-domestic-property-2.html#post412634

im just all in a tizz over the whole thing and dont want to offer any doubts on the day

Hi mate,
Don't want to worry you, but I did my second yearly assessment with Elecsa in October, and my assessor did want to see GN3 (as well as OSG and BS761), but I suppose it depends on your assessor.

If this is your first assessment, it seems they look a bit closer

Some of the the other scheme providers wanted GN's 1,3 and 7, Iam lucky in one way that I have all 8 GN's, but unlucky in another as I will have to replace them all soon.

I do loads of PIR's and im not registered with them! It s just an excuse for them to rob you of some more money..
You need indemnity insurance and be competent at Inspection and testing..

Ring them up mate.. I was told i couldnt use it because its alot easier to find the info in GN3..
And all the figures have been adjusted and they are nt in the regs, so you ve got to find the figure then do rule of thumb.
I mite just of had little hitler for my assesment :(

cheers for this mate. well seeing as we have to to test to GN3 and 7671 then id assume they would want to see it but apparently not unless you opt for their extra "pir assessment" which means you can do pir's only if you have this assessment in place! Apparently you cannot do pir under standard full scope part p assessment!

did you do pir assessment too out of interest for them to ask for GN3?
i think id rather show my 1997 edition GN3 and show proof of my pre-order of GN3 edition 6 than buy the current GN3 edition 5 as it will be useless in a few weeks and its nearly chrimbo!

[h=2]What is required to carry out a Periodic?[/h] It is agreed and generally accepted that an above average knowledge of electrical installations is required to carry out Periodic Inspections, usually gained through years of experience on top of formal qualifications (eg. C&G 2391).
[h=2]ELECSA[/h] ELECSA will therefore only be offering assessments of competence to undertake Periodic Inspection and Testing to its Scheme A (full scope) registered contractors.
[h=2]What do I need to carry out Periodics with ELECSA?[/h] The process will involve the contractor either having a periodic assessment added onto his surveillance visit, or having it as a stand-alone assessment.
The contractor will be expected to have, in addition to the requirements of Part P:

1. City & Guilds 2391
  2. IEE Guidance Note 3
  3. A minimum of 2 Periodic Inspection reports for review.
  4. A site visit will be made where a full and comprehensive Periodic Inspection has taken place
Any non-compliances will be notified to the contractor and advice given for them to address the issues raised.
[h=2]What happens when I have passed my Periodics Assessment with ELECSA?[/h]
  • The contractor will then be able to electronically notify ELECSA of work done in the same way as with Part P. However, ELECSA will not notify building control as Periodic Inspections are not controlled under Building Regulations.
  • The landlord or other person ordering the work will get the peace of mind that they have had work done by an independently assessed company.
  • 3 yearly surveillance visits will be required.
  • It is important to note that complaints received by ELECSA on the standard of the Periodic carried out will be investigated thoroughly and could potentially result in the withdrawal of a company’s approval.
[h=2]How much does it cost?[/h] ELECSA charges for Periodic Assessments:

• You need to take a Periodic Assessment when you take your Part P assessment, and the additional cost will be ÂŁ240 + VAT (a total of ÂŁ610 + VAT) for the initial assessment. For surveillance visits (which are only every 3 years) the additional cost is just ÂŁ100 + VAT (a total of ÂŁ470 + VAT when applied for and paid for together).
  • Notification of Periodic Inspection - ÂŁ1.50+VAT
THE ASSESSMENT APPROVAL PERIOD LASTS FOR 3 YEARS. YOU DO NOT REQUIRE AN ANNUAL ASSESSMENT ON YOUR ABILITY TO DO PERIODICS.

thanks for this mate. ill buzz them tomorrow with my plan of showing my old GN3 if asked so that they are aware and that my new will be on pre-order.

did you do pir assessment too out of interest for them to ask for GN3?

No Iam not registered with them for PIR's, just full scope.

It worked out quite expensive to register for the PIR as well, as I was led to believe this option required two extra assessments and 2391-10 qualification (which Iam only now part way through).

I would have only registered for PIR's if I had needed to, or did a large amount, but for the very small amount I ever do (V.rarely/try not to do any!).

Last edited:
Yes your right, you can tag this onto your normal full scope assessment after reading their site and then its just a 3 yearly review for pir but im just curious as to how you stand if you didnt register a pir with anyone (as i assume you cant unless you have this assessment) but it all comes back to a "competant person" i suppose. I just wonder how 'your honour' will see it in court should it go belly up! even if i didnt go pir route with them, how do we stand with signing off commerical work including installations? who do we report these to or is just a case of still keeping copies of certs and thats it? Im often asked to do commercial bits thats all and have usually employed a lad who sorted this on the commercial side as he is highly qualified and more experienced than me.

sorry for the ramble! ill do my own searches too as im sure nobody expects to spoon feed! cheers bud

You DONT NEED to be registered with a body to do PIR's but some insurance companys will ask for this.. IE you do a PIR on a pub they probaly want you to be NICEIC regitered..
Have a look on the forums mate this question has come up over and over again, Just dont be to keen to GIVE your money away when you dont need to!!

Hi mate,
you cannot use the Elecsa PIR for commercial/industrial anyway (as far as Iam aware), domestic only.

They may have changed the criteria lately (I will have to check), but I was pretty sure they wanted two PIR assessments per year ?

There are a few threads on here about not needing the 2391 and being registered to do PIR's.

I try not to do them at all (PIR) if I can help it, because it was more hassle than it was worth, usually Rigsby landlords wanting "just a certificate" and not wanting to pay for a proper PIR, as well as trying to compete with the "PIR in an hour brigade".

Each to their own.

Reply to part p assessment and GN3 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net