Discuss Tricky situation regarding a cowboy. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alanl

Went to visit a close friend yesterday. They said they'd had a bit of electric work done, and he was really cheap.
New light pull switch and new pendant as a like for like, then, a double outside socket put in. ÂŁ85 complete.

As you can imagine, I was a bit wary when I heard the price. I knew the house, and it is on 3036 fuses, with inadequate bonding (4mm unsheathed main earth etc).

He has taken a feed from the kitchen circuit, ran it in 2.5mm T+E under the decking, then fitted an IP44 double socket outside. No RCD, no new bonding, and obviously, no certificate.

Making my blood boil, he signed his quote as 'Steve *****, Electrician.'

Now, to my mind, this bloke should be challenged about his unsafe install, but, I'm in a bad situation where I cannot get the homeowner to complain, as she is oblivious to the danger, and that, although he was cheap, she has been ripped off.

Any advice?
Ta
Alan.

simple answer put it right, although install is wrong and does not comply who can you possibly complain to who will actually do anything about it - unless you can get melinda messengers attention its pretty much a waste of time.

Maybe you might want to drop this "Steve" a message without telling your friend, and suggest to him the list of what is wrong with his install (but be fair, stick to the regs and regs only) and quote reg numbers where appropriate; then ask when he is planning on returning to finish the job, having given an 'all in' price. He'll most likely either ignore it or tell you to clear off, but he also might just get a pang of conscience give you some BS about dates and diaries and return.

Reply to Tricky situation regarding a cowboy. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net